Snowshoe Mountain Resort
Snowshoe, West Virginia
|Vertical drop:||1,500 feet|
|Base elevation:||3,348 feet|
|Peak elevation:||4,848 feet|
|Longest run:||1.5 miles|
In 1995, Snowshoe was purchased by Intrawest. Since then, Intrawest has made significant investments in the resort - over $80 million has been invested in improvements, including terrain expansion and the installation of three high-speed quads.
Snowshoe offers some of the best skiing south of New England and even a suprising amount of nightlife for its secluded location in the mountains of West Virginia. That seclusion makes Snowshoe somewhat difficult to get to - it is approximately a 5-6 hour drive from Washington, D.C. Those willing to make the trek are rewarded with beautiful scenery, great snow conditions, and 60 trails spread over a 1,500-foot vertical. The drive became more palatable a few years ago, when Snowshoe opened a new entrance road to the resort from the town of Cass. This shaves about 30 minutes off the drive from the D.C. area.
Snowshoe has 60 trails, and they’re usually all open by early January, with a handful opening before Thanksgiving. The trails are spread across three distinct areas: the main Snowshoe area, with 41 trails and an 800-foot vertical drop; the Silver Creek area, with 17 trails and a 660-foot vertical; and the Western Territory, with 2 trails and a 1,500-foot vertical. The Western Territory features Cupp Run and Shay’s Revenge, two 1.5-mile expert slopes serviced by their own high-speed lift. The Western Territory is just across the street from the main Snowshoe area. Silver Creek is down the road (and reached by a free shuttle), featuring tamer trails and usually less crowds. Silver Creek is home to the Ruckus Ridge tubing park, a snowboard park, and is lit for night skiing.
On weekends, the main Snowshoe area can become crowded (with the base of the Ballhooter Express chairlift becoming a choking point), but the Western Territory and Silver Creek areas are rarely crowded. The installation of a third high-speed quad in 2006, replacing the older Widowmaker lift at the main Snowshoe area, has helped to reduce crowding. Three additional trails were cut off of this lift for the 2007-2008 winter season, including one gladed run. If you can swing a trip to Snowshoe mid-week, you’ll find significantly discounted prices and might have the slopes to yourself.
As a full-blown destination resort, Snowshoe doesn’t lack amenities. There are 21 dining establishments, including one nightclub. Snowshoe rents out over 1,400 condominium and lodge rooms, covering a variety of price points from economy to luxurious. There are also many winter activities that do not involve skis and snowboards, such as snowmobiling and snowshoeing.
Snowshoe usually opens for skiing and boarding around Thanksgiving.
Getting to Snowshoe Mountain Resort
|Wind Speed:||8 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Apr 8, 2014 at 7 am
News about Snowshoe
- May 31, 2014 - Depressed that the winter season is over? No worries. Mid-Atlantic ski resorts will provide plenty of activities this summer to distract you from the fact that there is no snow on the ground. Here’s a look at the summer offerings of many local resorts.
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
- February 17, 2014 - An early February trip to Snowshoe Mountain Resort delivered sub-zero temperatures and a Winter Wonderland. Matthew Graham provides this Firsthand Report from his recent visit to the West Virginia ski area.
- December 1, 2013 - In a typical Mid-Atlantic season, ski resorts struggle to open by mid-December. This is not be a typical Mid-Atlantic season.
- March 28, 2013 - Yes, you can still ski or board in the Mid-Atlantic. Several resorts have announced that they plan to remain open into early April.
No future events at this time.
Forum Topics Related to Snowshoe
Updated one month ago by fishnski
Updated one month ago by scottyb
Updated 2 months ago by The Colonel
Updated 4 months ago by pagamony
Updated 4 months ago by bousquet19
Updated 5 months ago by wspr22
Updated 5 months ago by scottyb
Updated 5 months ago by marzNC
Updated 6 months ago by Droogie
Updated 6 months ago by wgo