|Vertical drop:||1,110 feet|
|Base elevation:||1,750 feet|
|Peak elevation:||2,925 feet|
|Longest run:||4,100 feet|
Massanutten Resort is a four season resort featuring downhill skiing, two golf courses, two recreation facilities, an indoor / outdoor WaterPark (open year round), and spa. For the 2011-2012 winter season, Massanutten also began offering a new winter activity: ice skating. Massanutten’s ski hill boasts the highest vertical in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania - over 1,100 feet. Even with its southern location, Massanutten tends to enjoy a lengthy season - often the first resort in Virginia to open and the last to close.
Massanutten has replaced several original 1972 Borvig chairlifts with Dopplemayr- CTEC chairlifts. Massanutten’s chairlifts that service beginner terrain feature loading conveyors which help a learning skier or snowboarder load easier than ever before. The new loading conveyors should help beginners successfully use the lift while minimizing lift slow and stop times.
Massanutten also features the Peaked Mountain Express Tubing Park. The Tubing Park features up to fourteen 900-foot lanes that drop 120 vertical feet. A carpet lift also services the Tube Park to allow fast and easy transport to the top of the hill, increasing the amount of rides each guest is able to enjoy per two hour session. The Tubing Park also hosts a 750 foot, dual Mega Zip Line allowing two guests to glide down beside the Tubing Hill while overlooking the lower slopes of Massanutten. A Kids’ Adventure Course featuring bridges, obstacles, and a 100-foot zip line will also remain open all winter at the Tubing Park.
Massanutten’s Snow Sports Learning Center offers skiers and snowboarders programs tailored to every level of ability. Two dedicated carpet lifts are available to speed up the learning experience for beginners. The resort also hosts the Massanutten Adaptive Ski School, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to promoting alpine skiing for people of all ages with a variety of physical challenges.
Freestyle skiers and snowboarders will enjoy one of the best terrain parks in the region. The CMB Park features as many as twelve rails and jumps to satisfy thrill seekers and the Easy Street Park has smaller terrain park geared towards the needs of beginner skiers and snowboarders.
There are plenty of accommodations available, from on-mountain condos and hotels, to local lodging properties found twenty minutes from the resort in Harrisonburg, Va. Over 1,200 timeshare condominiums can be found at the resort.
Getting to Massanutten Resort
|Wind Speed:||0 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Apr 8, 2014 at 7 am
News about Massanutten
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- November 6, 2011 - Virginia’s Massanutten Resort is expanding the scope of activities this winter with the construction of a new outdoor ice skating rink.
- March 24, 2010 - The rain and time change didn’t stop a few folks from coming out for Massanutten’s Heroes on the Hill day on March 14, 2010. Robbie Allen provides this Firsthand Report.
- February 28, 2010 - DCSki Columnist Matthew Graham found ample opportunities for fun during a weekend visit to Massanutten February 20-21, 2010. He found fun on the Virginia resort’s popular snow tubing hills, in the indoor water park, on the ski slopes, and listening to live entertainment at night. OK, there might have been one face plant that resulted in a trip to the first aid office, and that probably wasn’t fun. But the rest of the weekend was “plain stupid fun.”
No future events at this time.
Forum Topics Related to Massanutten
Updated one month ago by marzNC
Updated one month ago by KenHess
Updated 3 months ago
Updated 3 months ago by scottyb
Updated 3 months ago by marzNC
Updated 3 months ago by marzNC
Updated 3 months ago by skimom
Updated 4 months ago by marzNC
Updated one year ago by Laurel Hill Crazie
Updated one year ago by marzNC