|Vertical drop:||600 feet|
|Longest run:||3,200 feet|
Snow guns began firing at Big Boulder in the early 1940’s, before any other resort in the U.S. Although snowmaking has advanced considerably since that date, the rudimentary snowmaking system in place at the time (based on a garden hose and sprinkler) allowed Big Boulder to survive less than perfect winters.
Today, Big Boulder has state-of-the-art snowmaking (voted among the best in the country a few years ago by SKI Magazine readers) and a sibling mountain, Jack Frost, located six miles away.
Both mountains offer their own snow tubing runs, terrain parks, and half-pipes.
Lodging options include townhomes and condominiums.
Photo provided by Jack Frost/Big Boulder.
Getting to Jack Frost
|Wind Speed:||14 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Mar 9, 2014 at 8 am
|Packed Powder||18-36" base||22 of 22 trails open
9 of 9 lifts open
News about Jack Frost
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- November 18, 2012 - The Weekly Altitude provides a look at what’s happening in the Mid-Atlantic ski and snowboard scene. In this week’s issue: Wisp Resort to change hands; Wintergreen’s “Snow License Program” offers free skiing to 5th and 6th graders; Thanksgiving Eve Pub Crawl at Bear Creek; and Whitetail pledges $10,000 to the MPMC Project.
- October 26, 2010 - Sister areas Jack Frost and Big Boulder have received a number of upgrades over the summer, including a new glade riding area for beginners, snowmaking improvements, and other terrain enhancements.
- March 17, 2008 - Spring is a mixed blessing: Mid-Atlantic resorts begin to close one by one, but the weather is nice and the rates can’t be beat. DCSki provides a detailed look at the current operating status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- February 22, 2008 - During January, DCSki asked its readers to complete a survey, ranking Mid-Atlantic ski areas in a number of categories. Over 100 readers filled out this detailed survey, providing a measurement of what local resorts are doing well, and what they could be doing better. We also asked readers to cast a critical eye on DCSki itself. The results are in, so kick back, relax, and see if you agree with readers’ picks for best resort in various categories.
No future events at this time.
Jack Frost Webcams
Forum Topics Related to Jack Frost
Updated 4 years ago by GRK
Updated 4 years ago by chaga
Updated 4 years ago by David
Updated 5 years ago by KeithT
Updated 6 years ago by The Colonel
Updated 6 years ago by Denis
Updated 6 years ago by kwillg6
Updated 7 years ago by Denis
Updated 8 years ago by camp
Updated 8 years ago by The Colonel