Hot Springs, Virginia
|Vertical drop:||700 feet|
|Longest run:||4,200 feet|
Skiing is almost an afterthought at the Homestead, a resort packed with year-round activities, whose history dates back to 1766. Located in the scenic Allegheny Mountains, the ski area at the Homestead is relatively small, with just ten trails. Trails are usually uncrowded, though, and the Homestead has a reputation as being an excellent place to learn skiing. The Homestead has also recently added additional winter activities, such as snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and snowmobile rides.
Despite its southern location, the Homestead receives an average annual snowfall of 50 inches, which the resort supplements with snowmaking. During the summer and fall of 2003, the Homestead upgraded its entire snowmaking system with a state-of-the-art system, which has allowed the resort to extend its traditional season length while offering improved snow conditions. In 2012, The Homestead added the Allegheny Springs Winter Wonderland, which provides ice skating and year-round outdoor swimming in addition to skiing and snowboarding.
Ad: Princeton Sports
Getting to The Homestead
|Wind Speed:||10 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Apr 8, 2014 at 8 am
News about The Homestead
- May 31, 2014 - Depressed that the winter season is over? No worries. Mid-Atlantic ski resorts will provide plenty of activities this summer to distract you from the fact that there is no snow on the ground. Here’s a look at the summer offerings of many local resorts.
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- November 25, 2012 - This winter, The Homestead debuts the Allegheny Springs Winter Wonderland, which will provide ice skating and swimming in addition to skiing.
- March 17, 2008 - Spring is a mixed blessing: Mid-Atlantic resorts begin to close one by one, but the weather is nice and the rates can’t be beat. DCSki provides a detailed look at the current operating status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
No future events at this time.