Elk Mountain Ski Resort
Union Dale, Pennsylvania
|Vertical drop:||1,000 feet|
|Longest run:||1.75 miles|
Elk Mountain was one of the first commercial ski areas to open in Pennsylvania. In 1959, Elk featured a small base lodge, a 2,200 foot T-Bar, some rope tows and several slopes.
Today, Elk has seven lifts and 27 slopes, including some of the most challenging terrain in the region. The resort also has its own distinctive character; the resort regularly plants Norway Spruce and red and white pines. Since the mid 80’s, over 13,000 trees have been planted.
In January 1999, an early morning fire leveled Elk’s compressor building. The resort was making snow within 72 hours thanks to help from local firemen, employees, local vendors, and the resort’s insurance company. During the following summer, the building was replaced.
In 2008, Elk Mountain enhanced snowmaking by adding an additional water pump, 66 new tower guns, and 10 new Areco fan guns. In 2009, Elk planted nearly 1,300 new spruce trees, and widened the Susquehanna trail. In 2011, Elk Mountain planted another 1,200 Norway and White spruce trees, and made various snowmaking improvements.
Getting to Elk Mountain Ski Resort
|Wind Speed:||7 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Today at 8 am
|Machine Groomed||30-48" base||18 of 27 trails open
4 of 7 lifts open
News about Elk Mountain
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- November 12, 2011 - Elk Mountain has continued its tradition of planting Norway and White Spruce trees, adding an additional 1,200 trees over the summer.
- January 22, 2011 - DCSki Columnist Matthew Graham made a trip up to Elk Mountain over Martin Luther King Weekend, where he decided to battle moguls. Find out who won in this Firsthand Report.
- November 8, 2009 - Pennsylvania’s Elk Mountain Ski Resort has continued a long-standing tradition by planting nearly 1,300 new spruce trees on the mountain. The ski area has also made snowmaking improvements and widened the Susquehanna trail.
- November 16, 2008 - Elk Mountain has increased snowmaking by adding an additional water pump, 66 new tower guns, and 10 new Areco fan guns. A couple trails were also re-graded.
No future events at this time.
Elk Mountain Webcam
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Elk Mountain
Updated one year ago by Bumps
Updated 7 years ago by curih
Updated 8 years ago by Bumps
Updated 9 years ago by David
Updated 10 years ago by SkiBumMSP
Updated 12 years ago by kwillg6