Canaan Valley Resort
Davis, West Virginia
|Vertical drop:||850 feet|
|Longest run:||1.25 miles|
Canaan Valley Resort State Park offers an exciting array of seasonal outdoor activities throughout the year. Nestled on a plateau overlooking the valley and offering sweeping views of surrounding peaks, the resort provides plenty of amenities including 160 new guest rooms and fireplace suites, a new atrium-style lobby, renovated main lodge, 23 cabin and cottage rentals, 34 campsites, a variety of dining options, conference/banquet facilities, and an indoor pool/fitness center.
Although West Virginia’s Canaan Valley Resort has snowmaking facilities, it is one of the few resorts in the D.C. region that receives much of its snowmaking from Mother Nature. With an average annual snowfall of over 180 inches, and a summit elevation of 4,280 feet above sea level, Canaan Valley’s 91 acres are frequently covered by snow that lasts late into the season. The ski resort is part of Canaan Valley State Park, which also features cross-country skiing and snowshoeing thanks to plenty of powder.
Located in the highest mountain-valley east of the Rockies, Canaan Valley Resort’s ski area includes 47 trails, 3 lifts, 1 magic carpet, and a terrain park. Canaan Valley is know for its great beginner and intermediate terrain, providing a perfect place for new skiers and boarders to learn. In 2012, the resort added Critters Crawl, a dedicated beginner instruction trail services by its own magic carpet.
On a clear day, stunning views are provided from Canaan Valley Resort’s 4,280-foot mountain top. Terrain varies from wide trails, narrow chutes, and high mountain meadows, providing opportunities for skiers and boarders at all skill levels.
Snowboarders will find a new terrain park in Allegheny Alley, and expert skiers will be challenged by black diamond favorites Dark Side of the Moon, Prosperity, and Gravity. Recent renovations at the ski area have included an expansion of snowmaking capabilities and upgrades to the base facilities. For the 2015-2016 season, the resort added 3 glade trails. Canaan Valley Resort offers 74% snowmaking coverage. Some natural snow trails open later in the season, and may temporarily close during warm stretches.
For kids and the young at heart, Canaan Valley Resort offers a 1,200-foot long tubing park (the longest in the Mid-Atlantic), featuring multiple tubing lanes and a dedicated magic carpet. Guests ages 4 and up can enjoy linking up and racing down the lanes. The tubing park includes its own warming hut complete with ticket kiosk, restrooms, concessions, a fireplace, an outdoor fire ring, and a parking area.
Over 30 kilometers of natural snow-based marked trails are available for cross-country skiers, and there is also easy access to the Monongahela National Forest. There is no trail access fee for cross-country skiing. Snowshoe and cross country ski rentals are available through the XC Center at the park grounds, and the popular Whitegrass Touring Center is also located nearby.
The lighted pavilion over the ice-rink along with two wood-burning fireplaces offer guests a leisure winter activity during their stay. Guests can skate and mingle in a comfortable outdoor environment while viewing the scenic Canaan Valley and Allegheny Mountains.
Photos provided by Canaan Valley Resort.
Getting to Canaan Valley Resort
|Wind Speed:||14 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
|Canaan Valley Resort|
Mar 19, 2016 at 8 am
News about Canaan Valley Resort
- October 1, 2016 - Remember Winter Storm Jonas last winter? DCSki Columnist Jim Kenney had the good fortune of being on site at West Virginia’s Canaan Valley Resort as the monster snow storm hit. Jim provides this Firsthand Report from his trip in January, 2016.
- December 23, 2015 - There was once a time when it snowed in the Mid-Atlantic in December. Sadly, this is not one of those years. On Christmas Eve, temperatures are forecast to reach the mid-70s — possibly smashing records. As a public service, and to help you get through the next couple snowless weeks, DCSki presents this series of photos showing snow.
- November 15, 2015 - Located in the scenic and snowy Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, Canaan Valley Resort is taking advantage of its 180-inches of average snowfall to add some glade skiing. Over the summer, Canaan Valley Resort has cut three glade skiing trails in the eastern part of the mountain, located between the Prosperity and Dark Side of the Moon black diamond runs.
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- October 26, 2014 - In late February, 2014, Jim Kenney took part in a gathering of about 25 on-line friends for a long weekend at Timberline and Canaan Valley ski areas. Jim provides this Firsthand Report.
No future events at this time.
Canaan Valley Resort Webcams
Forum Topics Related to Canaan Valley Resort
Updated one month ago by snapdragon
Updated 2 months ago by bousquet19
Updated 2 months ago by Canaan Valley Resort
Updated 2 months ago by pagamony
Updated 2 years ago by MephitBlue
Updated 6 years ago by fishnski
Updated 6 years ago by Abe
Updated 7 years ago by SCWVA
Updated 11 years ago by tgd