Beech Mountain, North Carolina
|Vertical drop:||830 feet|
|Longest run:||5,280 feet|
At 5,506 feet above sea level, Beech Mountain is the highest ski resort on the East Coast. Beech is also one of the coldest spots in the southeast, with an average snowfall of 70 inches. For the 2012-2013 season, Beech is celebrating its 45th year anniversary.
Founded in 1964 by Dr. Thomas Brigham, the developer of Snowshoe Mountain, Beech offers 15 trails and an 830-foot vertical. The resort also features a 7,000 square foot ice rink, and a snow tubing area. Snowboarders are welcome on all trails as well as the half pipe and terrain park.
Beech is located near Banner Elk, North Carolina, a two and a half hour drive from Charlotte. At the mountain there are 650 privately owned chalets, townhouses, condominiums, inns, and a bed and breakfast. More restaurants and accommodations can be found in nearby Banner Elk.
Beech Mountain has invested in snowmaking improvements over the past several years, moving towards computerized, automated guns. Modern SMI Automated Polecats now spread snow across every slope at the resort. For the 2011-2012 winter season, Beech Mountain added a new beginner slope, named Play Yard.
Getting to Beech Mountain
|Wind Speed:||23 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Jan 16, 2017 at 11 am
|Wet Granular||16-50" base||8 of 16 trails open
5 of 7 lifts open
News about Beech Mountain
- November 15, 2015 - Snow tubing has become a popular alternative (or supplement) to skiing and snowboarding at ski resorts, and this winter, Beech Mountain will open up a brand new tubing park.
- February 16, 2015 - North Carolina’s Beech Mountain Resort is posing a serious question: can “dayglo” ski clothes melt snow? The resort will find out February 20-22, 2015 as it hosts the fourth annual Totally ’80s Retro Ski Weekend.
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- May 31, 2014 - Depressed that the winter season is over? No worries. Mid-Atlantic ski resorts will provide plenty of activities this summer to distract you from the fact that there is no snow on the ground. Here’s a look at the summer offerings of many local resorts.
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
No future events at this time.
Beech Mountain Webcams
Forum Topics Related to Beech Mountain
No messages to display.