Alta today - 2/17
32 posts
9 users
11k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2011
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I skied about 20 runs at Alta today, all untracked powder except short stretches at top & bottom of the lift. It was marvelous. It was what I came for. I was in line when they loaded the first chair at 9 and skied without lunch until 3 when I called it a day. My kind of skiing. I only ski 6 hr. days for powder. I'm spoiled. smirk

Anyone who is coming to Alta in the next month or so please give me a shout, PM or Forum. I'd love to get together for some turns.

http://www.alta.com/pages/report.php
GRK
February 17, 2011
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Good for you Denis. And yes, you are spoiled!
Steve
February 17, 2011
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
:/Anyone who is coming to Alta in the next month or so please give me a shout, PM or Forum. I'd love to get together for some turns.

Denis,

Are you there on the 9th? I'm meeting a bud later that day to go to Park City, but he is coming in early to hit Alta/Snowbird. Good guy, mid fifties, Colorado skier. From what I know of him and your posts, you guys can ski anywhere. Let me know and I'll hook you up.

Steve
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2011
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

so you are saying it was better than on monday 2/14 - one of the worst days ever - and my *only* day there? well good for you :-)
Looks like more on the way.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
February 18, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Anyone who is coming to Alta in the next month or so please give me a shout, PM or Forum. I'd love to get together for some turns.

As an advance notice, I'll be skiing Utah Mar 4-9. I'll likely be meeting some Epic folks in the Ogden areas the early part of the trip. The more the merrier. Missed you last year in Utah.
Abe
February 18, 2011
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Oh man... thanks for that report Dennis! Sounds like a blast. DCSki will be well reprented in Utah this March I guess - I'll be skiing the Cottonwood Canyons from Mar 3-6 with two other powder hungry guys on tele skis! Maybe we could hook up for a few runs at some point...
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2011
2,337 posts
Great, I can look forward to lots of company. It would be best to contact me again in the few days preceding your visit. At some point I will be going to Mammoth for a few days and the timing depends upon my host there.

Edited to add today's report. WIND It was ripping up there. Snow badly wind affected up high. Still some powder down low. Closed: Devils Castle, East Castle, Rock 'n Roll, Backside, Catherine's, Baldy Chutes (of course), Baldy shoulder, and the traverse from top of Sugarloaf to Collins side.
JohnL
February 19, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Edited to add today's report. WIND It was ripping up there. Snow badly wind affected up high. Still some powder down low. Closed: Devils Castle, East Castle, Rock 'n Roll, Backside, Catherine's, Baldy Chutes (of course), Baldy shoulder, and the traverse from top of Sugarloaf to Collins side.

Wind was a big problem in Utah two weekends ago. On the first Sat of Feb, all areas had at least half their lifts closed due to wind (all day.) Even on other days, it was extremely windy at the tops of the ridges (your face was sandblasted.) Since most peak areas in Utah are open bowls, no snow to be found for hundreds and hundreds of vert. The top ridge snow surface was firm, even by Mid Atlantic standards. Even some snow in the lower trees was wind-affected.

Light winds can "refreshen" skied-out pow. Heavy winds can kill it.

Condition tip I learned from Uncle Louie (Epic.) When the snow is heavily wind affected, the skied-out areas are often easier to ski than the large untouched areas. You're moving less wind crust per turn in the skied out areas than in the untouched areas. I generally thought untouched would be easier, but he was right.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2011
2,337 posts
Yeah but, it's special to cut tracks where there are no other tracks.

"That cliff sign is just to keep the tourists out."

That's what the "Not a ski trail" signs are for at Mad River and Bolton.
JohnL
February 19, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Yeah but, it's special to cut tracks where there are no other tracks.

That's been my philosophy for a while, but it was a learning experience. I'm always up for a new option. One advantage with skiing with different people.

Quote:

"That cliff sign is just to keep the tourists out."

That's what the "Not a ski trail" signs are for at Mad River and Bolton.

Pretty much. smile I was reminded about that conversation this past Feb during a mini-Epic reunion. And I was the one who originally asked about the cliff sign a year ago. Go figure.

I skied past a sign similar to "Not a ski trail" at CV this past Jan; nearly identical location to the MRG sign. Having not skied CV in nearly 20 years, I thought it was merely an indication that the route to The Meadows was closed. Turns out I was skiing OB. Worked out well, though.... cool
skier219
February 19, 2011
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I concur with UL's advice. Heavily wind packed powder is definitely easier to ski when it's been tracked out a bit. The other slightly counterintuitive observation I have is that shorter skis are easier to manage/turn in wind packed powder too. Generally I have always thought longer was better for any sort of powder snow where you'd benefit from more float and a larger range of fore/aft balance. But the long skis are definitely harder to swing around when the powder is sticky and heavy. I should note that by short, I am talking 182-185cm versus 190-195cm, in a wide western type of ski.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2011
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Denis,
You hit the jackpot today, 32" from the current storm and still snowing. I am jealous!
The Colonel smile
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2011
2,337 posts
Colonel, you must be checking the same web page as me.
http://www.alta.com/pages/report.php It was about 21" and still snowing hard this morning. I was prepared for the day of my dreams. Big skis, Transceiver, shovel, probe, water, calories, etc.

Well, be careful what you wish for. I caught the late bus this morning, 8:00 knowing that the road would be closed until 8:30 for avalanche control. Buses have priority so we were in the front of a 5 mile backup on UT210, the Little Cottonwood Canyon Rd. Still stopped on the rd. at 9 a snowbird employee riding with us got word on his electronic device that a test round after the main artillery barrage set off a new slide so it would be closed until 9:30 or later. When it did open it was very slow, either an accident or a moron who disregarded 4x4 restrictions and couldn't get his 2 WD out of the way. Then there are all the tourists in 2WD rental cars who cannot simply turn around when told. They have to play 20 questions with the cop. (A large sign explains the restrictions in effect a mile before the canyon entrance.)

We got there at 11:30. Cars at the lodges were totally buried, at least I think they were cars. Nevertheless, my excitement was sky high. I went up for a test run, started down a reasonably steep face and when the grade backed off just a bit got stuck, and just as I came to a stop gently toppled over in the powder. I'm grateful to have had the crossed pole trick in my bag or I might still be there. It was my only fall of the day, but it was unbelievably hard work to ski the untracked snow. I am not a fast learner when my dreams are being disabused. I kept venturing into the deep. When momentum ran out it was incredibly hard to stride/pole/flail back to something groomed or tracked. Groomed means it was only 6" or so deep. Light was extremely flat so there was no seeing undulations.

I picked up a handful of snow and blew it away as easy as a dandelion. The lightness meant that ones weight distribution had to be exactly 50/50 on each ski or the heavier one would bury itself. My ability to sense and correct this on the fly is normally very good. I love powder and ski it a lot. But this stuff was so light and so lacking in substance that the margin for error was extremely small. Flat light didn't help.

I soon became worried about the road being closed in the afternoon, and then about interlodge restriction. I am too old to sleep on a hard cafeteria floor, so I decided to ask a couple of lodges if they had a bed for the night. I asked at the Snowpine and the Goldminer's Daughter; nothing available. They said every lodge was completely booked. Exhausted and worried about interlodge, I caught the 2 PM bus down. The road closed at 2:30 and reopened at 5. I don't know if there was interlodge; the Canyon alert email system only tells you about the roads.

Of course I'll be back tomorrow. It may be a repeat of today, or the snow may settle enough overnight to make for heavenly skiing.

Skiers are like farmers. Neither group is ever completely happy with the weather.
GRK
February 20, 2011
404 posts
Thanks for the powder primer. Also...what does interlodge mean?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 20, 2011
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Sounds great Denis. Do you take any photos? Let us know if we could help getting them posted?

Interlodge means the roads and entire canyon for that matter, are closed due to avalanche danger, everyone must go inside and stay at the ski areas even if it means spending the night on the floor of the base lodge.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2011
2,337 posts
Interlodge travel is forbidden due to extreme avalanche danger. That means being outdoors is forbidden. It is a very serious matter. Being caught in violation carries something like a $1000 fine and a night in jail.
GRK
February 20, 2011
404 posts
Okay cool...thanks Jim and Denis.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2011
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Do you take any photos? Let us know if we could help getting them posted?

Any pictures from today would look the inside of a bowl of chowder.
In the long run I do have to join the age of picture posting.
JohnL
February 21, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Any pictures from today would look the inside of a bowl of chowder.
In the long run I do have to join the age of picture posting.

Save the picture taking for the bluebird days. Anyone who stops to take pictures on a truly deep day like that should be demoted to gaper status.

Edit for the uninitiated: on deep pow days (especially when it hasn't snowed a lot), the powder feeding frenzy is unbelievable. Entire sections of mountains get skied off one hour from rope drop. We're talking acres upon acres. Stop 30 seconds, and it could mean one less epic powder run for you.
Abe
February 21, 2011
366 posts
Wow... it almost sounds like there was too much snow yesterday wink

I'll be curious to hear the report from today!
JohnL
February 21, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I went up for a test run, started down a reasonably steep face and when the grade backed off just a bit got stuck, and just as I came to a stop gently toppled over in the powder. I'm grateful to have had the crossed pole trick in my bag or I might still be there. It was my only fall of the day, but it was unbelievably hard work to ski the untracked snow. I am not a fast learner when my dreams are being disabused. I kept venturing into the deep. When momentum ran out it was incredibly hard to stride/pole/flail back to something groomed or tracked. Groomed means it was only 6" or so deep. Light was extremely flat so there was no seeing undulations.

Nothing worse than when your ski tips start sinking and point more and more downward into the snow. I've had tips probably 5 feet deep. (Main reason for rockered tips.) It is easier or tougher on tele gear when your tips plunge? I imagine your skis could bet in some pretty weird positions.

With 21" of snow, blues were probably unskiable.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2011
2,337 posts
Today we won the lottery. It was heavenly. I was booting up in the Goldminer's Daughter when longtime friend Marc walked in along with another friend, Tele Jon. Marc is the Admin of First Tracks Online and a former Jay Peak patroller from his VT days. We were catching up on one another's news when, 1 pole from the top of Collins lift, they opened the gate to Ballroom traverse. We jumped on it and the result is Marc's report with pics, posted on the Western N America forum of First Tracks.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9476

Marc had only 2 hrs. to ski his brains out so I excused myself, really my old flatlander legs, after two runs while they went to backside. I wanted more of the Ballroom and got 3 more runs there, then one about halfway out the High Traverse that was largely untracked and led me to some beautiful trees about halfway down. A final run down Sugarloaf convinced me to call it a day. One of my best ever. Thanks Marc & Jon!
skier219
February 21, 2011
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Oh, that looks awesome!

I see this photo was captioned "Denis in Ballroom", but it really looks like you were in the "white room" there buddy:

(photo credit:http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9476)
JohnL
February 21, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Nice!

Denis, what skis are you on there?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2011
2,337 posts
BD Megawatts, 153 mm rockered tip, 125 waist
JohnL
February 21, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Definitely noticed the tip rocker.

Looks like those skis make you more aggressive. You had some serious speed to kick up that much snow.

Again, nice!

Edit: and great pic by Marc C. Let him do all the work and you have all the fun.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2011
2,337 posts
With all that girth plus rocker the skis love to rise up and go fast. When they do this they feel very stable and solid.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 22, 2011
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
You missed Blue Knob for this? grin

We ask for pictures and Denis (with help from friends) produces killers!
Made that shot my screen saver today in your honor.
Abe
February 23, 2011
366 posts
Awesome pictures! It looks Alta is about to get hammered again this weekend... man... I wish I was leaving today instead of next Wednesday!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2011
2,337 posts
Another day in paradise. Bluebird sky, lots of uncut powder if you knew where to look. I left 5 sets of farmed (nested) tracks in one place, never separated by more than 15 feet. Call me Farmer Denis. There is a famous Farmer Dave at Alta. A couple days of settling and sun have turned the powder creamy and ridiculously easy to ski.
skier219
February 23, 2011
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Abe, they will be getting hammered through Sunday evening. Mon-Tues will be clear (and milder) bluebird weather, then more snow possible for Weds. Right now my models don't have a lot of detail on how much and for how long. But next week is shaping up to be pretty decent when you get there.

I think the trick is what Denis alluded to -- finding powder if you know where to look. The easy pickings might get skied off quickly, but there is always some hidden stuff for the dedicated.
Abe
February 24, 2011
366 posts
Sweet... thanks for the scoop! I'm definitely keeping my eye on the storm forecasted for the middle of next week. I'm hoping in a bad way that I can get my powder fix while I'm out there wink I guess I should quit worrying about the weather and just look forward to having a great time!

I should also mention that this is my first trip to Utah... so it will all be new to me!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?