Skiing Cuyahoga Valley National Park
2 posts
1 user
3k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 5, 2011
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Yesterday morning I cross country skied one of America's newest National parks.
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

The Cuyahoga river is famous for catching fire in 1969. It turns out it happened many times and 1969 was not even the worst.
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1642 This event was a major catalyst in the modern environmental movement. Of course the NP is well upstream of the site of the fires. It is beautiful rolling hills, mostly open fields where I went. This particular area held the summer mansion of an Ohio industrialist and the family donated their land to the park. The setting was beautiful, 11 F, clear blue sky, light breeze. Skiing was a challenge. No trails - make your own. The big snow of Feb. 2 now had a heavy breakable crust. When on one ski striding it would break through. On 2 equally weighted skis going downhill it generally supported me but occasionally broke thru unexpectedly. Maintaining balance under the conditions was a lot of work so I was only out there about an hour. Then I drove on to Chicago to visit my son and his wife for the weekend. From there I drive on to UT and CA for 6-8 weeks of skiing.

I have now skied a pretty good list of National Parks; Yellowstone, Yosemite, Denali, Sequoia, King's Canyon, and now Cuyahoga.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2011
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Why not Boston Mills? I saw the signs. Well, I'm a skier, not just a downhill guy. Last year I skied 1/2 day at Mad River Mtn. in OH. Little indeed but I had fun and enjoyed talking with patrollers, including the founder's son. I gave him a "Mad River Glen - ski it if you can" sticker. Last winter there was no snow except where they made it. This year there is lots, and the upper midwest is known for XC which I also enjoy, and the point is to get some exercise and have a little fun on my way, not sit behind a wheel all day for multiple days. Yesterday I skied in Warren Park in Chicago where the Groundhog Day snow is still powdery, no crust. I even managed a few turns on a 30 vertical foot sledding hill.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?