Looking for N 95 masks
18 posts
6 users
4k+ views
Vermont
March 23, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Healthcare workers are taking it upon themselves to find the protection they need, please look in storage sheds, basements, if you know soneone in construction etc ask them for masks etc

my job was to make sure workers are supplied with protection needed to do the job, it should not be up to them to do the work and be responsible for protection equipment especially disposable type

these health care workers need others to step up and supply them with what is needed

Vermont
January 2, 2021 (edited January 2, 2021)
174 posts

After reading about someone using an N95 mask to travel bye airline to ski

I wanted to take a poll to see if anyone thinks that is a good idea? knowing that it’s been requested that any available N95 masks go to 1st responders 

I know plenty think it’s wrong to travel bye airline to ski regardless of what type of mask is used and it should be obvious why, but just seeing if theirs one person who thinks it’s okay to travel to ski using an N95 mask

so 2 parts, is it okay to trave bye airline l to ski using N95 mask?

is it okay to travel to ski bye airline using another type of mask?

the answer is quite obvious to some  but just seeing what others think of the idea

I think it would be a good idea to ask that person to please give their N95 masks to 1st responders like the rest of us have done 

Goback todc
January 2, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts
On that same logic wouldn’t it be nice to ask all people to stay in their respective locale,for the foreseeable future. I know what my answer is just wondering how the rest of you felt.
snow.buck
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

??? But anyone can buy all the N95 masks you want on Amazon or COSTCO (but I don't need their box of 100).

And I agree with @Goback...I see no reason to get on a plane, especially since the news of someone with Covid DYING on the (now totally infected) plane. Anyone hacking & coughing just has to check the box "Nope, I ain't got no Covid" !!!!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Scott - DCSki Editor
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

snow.buck wrote:

??? But anyone can buy all the N95 masks you want on Amazon or COSTCO (but I don't need their box of 100).

The masks that are available from Amazon and other outlets are KN95 masks, which are of a slightly different design than N95 masks and are certified in China vs. the U.S.  N95 masks are manufactured by companies like 3M and are certified by NIOSH and the FDA in the U.S.  KN95 masks are made in China by a large number of companies, and according to CDC, there are a lot of counterfeit KN95 masks showing up.  One difference between N95 and KN95 masks is that N95 masks have two elastic straps that go around the back of your head, while KN95 masks generally have loops that go around your ears.  Legitimate KN95 masks offer a level of protection similar to N95 masks, although there are some subtle differences.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Amazon and other retailers have been restricting the sale of N95 masks to medical professionals.  I'm not aware of a way for "regular" people to currently buy legitimate N95 masks, unless they find them on the black market.  This story from August goes into a lot of detail about issues related to the manufacturing and supply of N95 masks.

squeakywheels
January 2, 2021
Member since 08/4/2017 🔗
38 posts

Costco online sells NIOSH certified N95 masks (not by 3M) for $270/100. They also sell 95% filtering masks (not certified but looks like KN95) for $75/100. Both are claimed to filter 95%+ of 0.3 micron particles by Costco website. The NIOSH certified N95 masks are certified for medical use.

Scott wrote:

snow.buck wrote:

The masks that are available from Amazon and other outlets are KN95 masks, which are of a slightly different design than N95 masks and are certified in China vs. the U.S.  N95 masks are manufactured by 3M and are certified by NIOSH and the FDA in the U.S.  KN95 masks are made in China by a large number of companies, and according to CDC, there are a lot of counterfeit KN95 masks showing up.  One difference between N95 and KN95 masks is that N95 masks have two elastic straps that go around the back of your head, while KN95 masks generally have loops that go around your ears.  Legitimate KN95 masks offer a level of protection similar to N95 masks, although there are some subtle differences.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Amazon and other retailers have been restricting the sale of 3M N95 masks to medical professionals.  I'm not aware of a way for "regular" people to currently buy legitimate N95 masks, unless they find them on the black market.  Unfortunately, 3M does not have nearly enough capacity to manufacture enough N95 masks to meet medical demand, and they are currently the only company manufacturing N95 masks due to the proprietary nature of the manufacturing process.  This story from August goes into a lot of detail about issues related to the manufacturing and supply of N95 masks.

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 2, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

squeakywheels wrote:

Costco online sells NIOSH certified N95 masks (not by 3M) for $270/100. They also sell 95% filtering masks (not certified but looks like KN95) for $75/100. Both are claimed to filter 95%+ of 0.3 micron particles by Costco website. The NIOSH certified N95 masks are certified for medical use.

Interesting..  I hadn't seen the Costco ones.  They're not made by 3M but do appear to carry the certification.  Some of the reviews suggest they might not be as comfortable or fit as well as 3M N95 masks.  Too bad there isn't a way to buy a smaller quantity than 100 (at $270+) to try them out.

bob
January 2, 2021
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts
As s typically the case, one can find almost anything on eBay - including n95 and kn95   "guaranteed authentic" 3M masks
Vermont
January 4, 2021 (edited January 5, 2021)
174 posts

Goback todc wrote:

On that same logic wouldn’t it be nice to ask all people to stay in their respective locale,for the foreseeable future. I know what my answer is just wondering how the rest of you felt.

Right on, go where you can drive to, 

Their should be a way to identify people who fly to ski, maybe not dunce caps but perhaps a red flag 🚩 on them so those of us smart enough to take private transportation can keep our distance from them 

Killington asks people if they are comfortable riding with others, some say no and now I can see why knowing some are being so careless.

please if you know of anyone with N95 masks have them donate to 1st responders 

bob
January 7, 2021 (edited January 7, 2021)
755 posts

Vermont wrote:

Their should be a way to identify people who fly to ski, maybe not dunce caps but perhaps a red flag 🚩 on them so those of us smart enough to take private transportation can keep our distance from them 

The data says it is exceedingly difficult to catch the virus on a plane. One study said the odd s are about 1-400,000 to 1-600,000. Airlines are doing a great job of sanitizing aircraft, and those aircraft are equipped with hospital quality HEPA air filtration systems, as well as complete changeover in cabin air about every 2 minutes.

Basically an unmasked virus carrier has to cough in an unmasked face for there to be any real risk of virus spread.

That revelation has caused every airline except Delta to start selling middle seats again.

Goback todc
January 7, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts
Thanks for the info, Bob. 
Vermont
January 7, 2021 (edited January 7, 2021)
174 posts

bob wrote:

Vermont wrote:

The data says it is exceedingly difficult to catch the virus on a plane. One study said the odd s are about 1-400,000 to 1-600,000. Airlines are doing a great job of sanitizing aircraft, and those aircraft are equipped with hospital quality HEPA air filtration systems, as well as complete changeover in cabin air about every 2 minutes.

Basically an unmasked virus carrier has to cough in an unmasked face for there to be any real risk of virus spread.

That revelation has caused every airline except Delta to start selling middle seats again.

I would like to see what masks they are talking about to keep those numbers real ?

having been responsible for worker’s protection equipment and using N95 masks myself for a long time I have lived the difference between masks, so many people with lose fitting masks that you have no control over, many people clueless to the difference between professional N95 masks and any other masks , 

look up the best masks to use for coved and you see they tell you to not buy the best type (N95)  for personal use , I am hoping the ski season survives along with all the jobs , the airline industry  just paid a massive fine for misleading the public with safety concerns so I highly doubt anything they say

After hearing of people using n95 to ski I thought let’s pass the info to enlighten, 

bob
January 8, 2021
755 posts

Vermont wrote:

look up the best masks to use for coved and you see they tell you to not buy the best type (N95)  for personal use , I am hoping the ski season survives along with all the jobs , the airline industry  just paid a massive fine for misleading the public with safety concerns so I highly doubt anything they say

Please tell us about that massive fine from the airline industry. You mean the $2.5 billion paid by Boeing for messing up the MAX? What, if anything,  does that have to do with the airline industry?

Vermont
January 9, 2021 (edited January 9, 2021)
174 posts

bob wrote:

Vermont wrote:

Please tell us about that massive fine from the airline industry. You mean the $2.5 billion paid by Boeing for messing up the MAX? What, if anything,  does that have to do with the airline industry?

I won’t be rude and tell you to “stay on topic “ but 1st thing is original post to please give any N95 masks to first responders,  unfortunately on another site people calling themselves “Divas “ wear N95 masks to travel by airline to ski.  
Boeing admitted to criminal misconduct for misleading regulators about the safety of the troubled jetliner (you couldn’t look that up?) by “ please tell us” means you think others can’t see that for themselves?

Kind of like your “data” is misleading and you failed to answer my question about the data 

planes air doesn’t circulate while on ground and passengers load,  also some airlines are not keeping seats empty in between passengers because they want to make money over passengers safety , so showing “data” that is only when a plane is moving doesn’t show the whole picture along with how much exposure at airports and in the loading process 

Vermont
January 9, 2021
174 posts

bob wrote:

As s typically the case, one can find almost anything on eBay - including n95 and kn95   "guaranteed authentic" 3M masks

Did you see where people are being asked to not use N95 masks for personal use but to please give to 1sr responders, I find it irresponsible to let people know how they can skirt the plea of public officials asking to give all N95 masks to 1st responders, perhaps you didn’t know that?

Goback todc
January 9, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

Then don't be rude and tell people to stay in topic.

Thanks. 

bob
January 9, 2021 (edited January 9, 2021)
755 posts

about  the risk of getting the virus on a plane.....

"This research is bolstered by another recent study from the IATA which concluded the “risk of contracting the virus on board appears to be in the same category as being struck by lightning,” in the words of CEO and Director General Alexandre de Juniac. Earnest on Thursday stressed that United Airlines, as other airlines said in September, is reporting lower infection rates among its flight attendants than among the general U.S. population. 

44. That’s the known number of confirmed Covid-19 cases transmitted on airplanes among the 1.2 billion passengers who have traveled this year, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA)."

By my math that is 44 divided by 1,200,000,000 = .0000000367.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/10/15/study-risk-of-covid-19-transmission-on-planes-v...

As a point of comparison, your chances of dying in a car crash during your lifetime is a little less than 1% --- .01

thedrive.com

It seems that the risk of dying in  car crash during your life is about 272,500 times more likely than catching the virus on your next flight

Vermont
January 10, 2021 (edited January 10, 2021)
174 posts

bob wrote:

about  the risk of getting the virus on a plane.....

"This research is bolstered by another recent study from the IATA which concluded the “risk of contracting the virus on board appears to be in the same category as being struck by lightning,” in the words of CEO and Director General Alexandre de Juniac. Earnest on Thursday stressed that United Airlines, as other airlines said in September, is reporting lower infection rates among its flight attendants than among the general U.S. population. 

44. That’s the known number of confirmed Covid-19 cases transmitted on airplanes among the 1.2 billion passengers who have traveled this year, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA)."

By my math that is 44 divided by 1,200,000,000 = .0000000367.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/10/15/study-risk-of-covid-19-transmission-on-planes-v...

As a point of comparison, your chances of dying in a car crash during your lifetime is a little less than 1% --- .01

thedrive.com

It seems that the risk of dying in  car crash during your life is about 272,500 times more likely than catching the virus on your next flight

Look do whatever you want it’s a free country , perhaps you belong to the divas?   please where a red flag or something to identify that you flew to ski rather then private  transportation as when people are loaded on lifts they are asked if they wish to load with someone they don’t know ,   the public is asked not to fly for pleasure, I just hope to get the word out to get N95  to first responders 

you still didn’t show what type of masks were used in the data? pictures and videos of people flying shows many with masks that don’t fit properly 

and you continue to get information from the airline industry, that fits your narrative well 

the other site the person chose to no longer post stories of their flying to ski after others spoke up and made that person look selfish, but you are not good for the safety of skiing in my opinion you make this site look bad for skiers 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.