11 posts
5 users
2k+ views
jpetraiuolo
February 23, 2020
Member since 02/11/2020 🔗
54 posts

Hi all,

Between Massanutten and Whitetail which place has more challenging terrain? Thanks for your help!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

jpetraiuolo wrote:

Hi all,

Between Massanutten and Whitetail which place has more challenging terrain? Thanks for your help!

What do you consider challenging?  It's a bit harder to say at the moment because we don't know exactly what will be open in the next week or two.  If you like bumps and the Whitetail bump run is set up, Mnut doesn't have the equivalent.  With enough snow there are bumps on the side of Paradice that can be skied as a zipper line.

Lift 6 at Mnut is just over 800 ft vertical by itself.  Total vert at Mnut is 1100 ft.  Diamond Jim isn't quite a straight shot done, but it doesn't curve much.

The total vertical for Whitetail is listed as 935 ft.  My memory of riding the Expert's Quad is that has less vertical than Lift 6.  It's been a few years since I skied at Whitetail.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I don't know about challenging, but I had more fun on the two black diamonds at Massanutten than the black diamonds at Whitetail.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2020
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

I don't know about challenging, but I had more fun on the two black diamonds at Massanutten than the black diamonds at Whitetail.

Are the black trails off Lift 6 at Mnut longer than the blacks at Whitetail?  In particular, is DJ longer?  All I really remember from my first time at Whitetail several years ago was the long run out back to the base.  It was in single digits (early Jan) and I needed to add a facemask and/or another layer.  Since then I've only gone for the demo day so never got over to the black terrain.

Paradice is my favorite trail at Mnut because of the good snow at the top where it's an easy pitch going along the ridge, and the fact that it's longer and wider than DJ.  Usually there is some contour based on snow whales, which are fun.  DJ gets skied off sooner, partially because more people ski it.

jpetraiuolo
February 23, 2020
54 posts

Thanks for the input everyone! I was hoping the black diamond trails at Massanutten were alittle steeper than at Whitetail. I went up to Whitetail for the first time last weekend and thought the black trails were about the same as the blue trails, maybe less busy but about the same steepness. The review that they are more fun is really all I was looking for. This being said it will all depend on conditions. 

Next weekend I was planning to take my gf skiing for the first time. She was going to get a lesson and then I planned to teach her some more on my own afterward. I was thinking during the lesson I would go off and take on the tougher trails. The price is about the same at both places but I live 30 minutes further from Mnut. I figured since I went to Whitetail already I would try out the new place but if its not worth it I was just going to head back to Whitetail. Thanks for all the help, I'll be checking conditions this week and hopefully they will be blowing snow at both places this weekend!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2020
3,246 posts

jpetraiuolo wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone! I was hoping the black diamond trails at Massanutten were alittle steeper than at Whitetail. I went up to Whitetail for the first time last weekend and thought the black trails were about the same as the blue trails, maybe less busy but about the same steepness. The review that they are more fun is really all I was looking for. This being said it will all depend on conditions. 

Next weekend I was planning to take my gf skiing for the first time. She was going to get a lesson and then I planned to teach her some more on my own afterward. I was thinking during the lesson I would go off and take on the tougher trails. The price is about the same at both places but I live 30 minutes further from Mnut. I figured since I went to Whitetail already I would try out the new place but if its not worth it I was just going to head back to Whitetail. Thanks for all the help, I'll be checking conditions this week and hopefully they will be blowing snow at both places this weekend!

The advantage of Whitetail over Mnut is that the green trails are quite separate from any trails an advanced skier would be on.  Of course, that can also be considered a disadvantage for an advanced skier who is keeping a beginner company.  The progression from teaching area to easy green to steeper green to easy blue is very good at Mnut.  Have gone thru that with both kids and adults in the last 15 years.

From a liftline standpoint on a weekend, my sense is that Mnut will be less crowded.  That's based on a friend who used to live in Columbia and skied Whitetail from opening until 11:30 regularly on weekends.

For a never-ever, the other choice driving from DC would be Bryce.  Far fewer people from what I understand.  Cheaper lift ticket.  Good ski school used to getting people started on skis.  I may well be there on Sat morning using my second Indy Pass ticket.  I'm staying at Mnut Thu-Sun.

You do know that the general advice is to avoid teaching an SO . . . :-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2020
3,246 posts

Looking good for snowmaking at night at Massanutten starting Thursday, and into the weekend.  I'll be skiing someone in VA/WV on Friday, 2/28, and at Mnut over the weekend.

jpetraiuolo
February 25, 2020
54 posts

marzNC wrote:

Looking good for snowmaking at night at Massanutten starting Thursday, and into the weekend.  I'll be skiing someone in VA/WV on Friday, 2/28, and at Mnut over the weekend.

Conditions are looking good for snowmaking but until Wednesday night the resorts are taking a beating. I think Canaan Valley may be a good option. It looks like they are going to get close to 6 inches of natural snow and hopefully they also fire up the snowguns. I will be checking cams Saturday morning to decide whether I head to Mnut, Whitetail, or Canaan Valley.

Timothy.grasso
February 25, 2020
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts

I skied Canaan on Friday and conditions were amazing, especially when you consider the warm/rain that occurred during the previous days.  Sounds like the same weather pattern with some bonus snow for the upcoming weekend.

Punk Wonk Mike
February 25, 2020
Member since 12/3/2016 🔗
21 posts

marzNC wrote:

For a never-ever, the other choice driving from DC would be Bryce.  Far fewer people from what I understand.  Cheaper lift ticket.  Good ski school used to getting people started on skis.  I may well be there on Sat morning using my second Indy Pass ticket.  I'm staying at Mnut Thu-Sun.

Agreed with this, Bryce is great way to ease someone in, both the price and lower crowds and intimidation factor. They are also one of the few local areas that frequently have discounts on Liftopia.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2020
3,246 posts

Timothy.grasso wrote:

I skied Canaan on Friday and conditions were amazing, especially when you consider the warm/rain that occurred during the previous days.  Sounds like the same weather pattern with some bonus snow for the upcoming weekend.

Good to know.  Keeping an eye on CV snow and WV road conditions.  CV is on the Indy Pass and I haven't skied there before although I stayed at the CV Lodge a few years ago when checking out Timberline.  The drive only makes sense when I'm based at Mnut for a few days.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.