Timberline activity?
71 posts
28 users
10k+ views
padjaski68
January 1, 2020
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts

Just curious, if anyone has ventured over to Timberline as a side trip while at Canaan Valley. Has there been any activity from the new ownership on-site?

Vermont
January 2, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Things will  be happening bye spring time according to someone at the new ownership 

that place has great potential, I look forward to seeing what they will do, maybe getting involved in some way 

Norsk
January 3, 2020
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Not yet.  Locals say they were in the valley for a couple weeks in Dec, met with the rest of the winter sports industry, businesses, etc, and introduced some of the people who will operate the resort for them.

chaga
January 3, 2020 (edited January 3, 2020)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

heard 3 companies are bidding on the new lifts.  They will probably start tearing them down soon.  The new mtn manager from Perfect North sounded very confident they would be open next year and doing well with snowmaking based on the temps we had in Nov/Dec.  Its not been so great the past 10days maybe, but there were 29 days in Nov with the minimum temp below 32, and 24 days in Dec. And over 2 weeks where the high temp was never even above 32..  So despite the lack much natural snow, there was ample snowmaking temps in Nov/Dec.  More than enough to get the new mtn ops guys very excited! 

Like every business here, employment will be their obstacle. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Actually while there in Dec it was reported that Perfect North had crew on TL property cleaning up the trash and junk the previous had just struwn around the property, and been cited for by county & state!

skiracerx
January 4, 2020
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Perfect North Runs nastar and it would be nice to have that at Timberline again.

mdr227
January 4, 2020
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Would love to see them put in some faster lifts (ideally a high speed one, maybe even a six pack) though I know that is probably asking too much.   Just thrilled that there is a possibility Timberline will be open again next year.  

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Would love to see them put in some faster lifts (ideally a high speed one, maybe even a six pack) though I know that is probably asking too much.   Just thrilled that there is a possibility Timberline will be open again next year.  

I feel like I read before that some skiers didn't want high speed lifts there because it would bring in more people. Not that it could have happen with previous ownership, but I got the vibe.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

High speed quad really not necessary especially if they refurbish a triple. Consumers like them but they are really expensive to install and to maintain. Some have argued that uphill capacity is the same and that lift lines on a highspeed are shorter because they are easier to load to capacity. Either way, a high speed will put more people on the slopes, greater crowding means less actual skiing and more moving people slalom. Not good, unless crowded slopes are your thing, of course. 

mdr227
January 7, 2020
193 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

High speed quad really not necessary especially if they refurbish a triple. Consumers like them but they are really expensive to install and to maintain. Some have argued that uphill capacity is the same and that lift lines on a highspeed are shorter because they are easier to load to capacity. Either way, a high speed will put more people on the slopes, greater crowding means less actual skiing and more moving people slalom. Not good, unless crowded slopes are your thing, of course. 

It's kind of a catch 22 with ski area crowds.   We skiers of course don't like the crowds, but in order for the ski resorts to remain profitable, continue to invest, provide the best snow conditions, extend the season, etc. the more skiers the better.   For me personally I hate skiing anywhere on a weekend and am fortunate enough that I can get most of my ski days in on weekdays when crowds are not an issue.   I would love a high speed lift at Timberline to cut the previous 12 minute ride in half, but also understand the expense, upkeep, similar uphill capacity, etc. to standard lifts.   

Timberline is going to have a challenge drawing skiers back like it had 10 plus years ago and a high speed lift could be a great marketing tool for them, especially when battling Canaan for the same customers.  

swoop
January 7, 2020
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts

It's a big decision right? You only do this once every 30 years or so.  I believe the HS detachable would pay off in the long run and be the right decision from a customer view, but I have no idea about the cap ex plan, speed to market and technical installation location as far as wind conditions etc. (presuming the location is well suited for HSD)

Below is a link to a little more info-blog suggests FG is 1/2 cost of Detachable!

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2017/02/fixed-grip-versus-detachable.html

What about a 3rd option of refurbishing the current lift?  Or option 4, install a used one or two?

Thinking about having that place running in 9 months seems like a Herculean undertaking.  Anyone disagree?  Won't there need to be a significant investment in snow making to actually get some acreage open by 12/1?

January 7, 2020
353 posts

swoop wrote:

It's a big decision right? You only do this once every 30 years or so.  I believe the HS detachable would pay off in the long run and be the right decision from a customer view, but I have no idea about the cap ex plan, speed to market and technical installation location as far as wind conditions etc. (presuming the location is well suited for HSD)

Below is a link to a little more info-blog suggests FG is 1/2 cost of Detachable!

What about a 3rd option of refurbishing the current lift?  Or option 4, install a used one or two?

Thinking about having that place running in 9 months seems like a Herculean undertaking.  Anyone disagree?  Won't there need to be a significant investment in snow making to actually get some acreage open by 12/1?

Speaking for myself, I won't consider Timberline until they get new lifts. They were bad when I went in 2013 and have incidents since then. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

swoop wrote:

Waterville Valley considered a quad detachable when Green Mt was added.  In the end, it made more sense to move a fixed triple from a different location at WV and save at least a couple million dollars.

Based on paying attention to the revival of Tenney Mountain in NH after neglect and being closed for 4-5 years, the big question is how much snowmaking pipe has to be fixed or replaced whether or not one off-season is enough to get things back into functional shape.  Putting back snowguns seems like it will be more a matter of money than time.

The current owners of Tenney were able to fix up the old fixed-grip lifts.  Made it just in time to get them approved before the grandfather timeframe ran out.  But wouldn't Timberline do better installing a new lift from a PR standpoint given the issues with the old lifts in recent years?

Plattekill has added snowmaking, used lifts, and terrain slowly but surely over the last couple decades.  But my sense is that the Perfect North family won't be taking that approach for Timberline.

Bijan
January 7, 2020
Member since 01/16/2018 🔗
10 posts

marzNC wrote:

Plattekill has added snowmaking, used lifts, and terrain slowly but surely over the last couple decades.  But my sense is that the Perfect North family won't be taking that approach for Timberline.

As in, you suspect Perfect North will be taking an expedied approach to improving Timberline?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2020
3,246 posts

Bijan wrote:

marzNC wrote:

As in, you suspect Perfect North will be taking an expedied approach to improving Timberline?

Just a guess based on reading about the history of Perfect North.  But really depends on what financial resources they have in mind for the next 2-3 years.  The timeline on the Perfect North website shows a steady stream of improvements over the last 40 years.  Nothing flashy, but never sitting back and hoping people would be satisfied with the status quo.

https://www.perfectnorth.com/Timeline/

"Season 1

Construction began August of ”˜80, and opened for the season on January 12, 1981. The lodge was built using old brick from Norwood Sash and Door in Cincinnati. Interior beams and siding were salvaged from local Indiana barns. PNS opened with 2 Stadeli cable tows and three rope tows on 150’ vertical drop. Snowmaking was done with 8 portable snowguns. 400 pairs of used rentals with Spademan bindings were in the basement rental shop. The tows and ski rentals were purchased from a defunct ski area in Tennessee."

JohnL
January 7, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Frankly, comparing Timberline under Perfect North ownership to Plattekill is a bad comparison. Lazso and Platty have a bit of Al Davis in them. PN is more Ravens. Different apples and oranges.

Good God folks, most fixed grip lifts don't take 13 minutes with no stops to climb 1000 vertical feet! It don't matter what replaces Alvin and Company.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2020
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Lifts can be modified to increase speed with minimal cost. Chair spacing is an important factor. I think PN is going to make use of the assets that are available to get the place open next year. If I were a betting man, I'd bet a large sum that no lifts will be replaced for next season. Getting the snow making system upgraded is more important in this climate. The lodge also needs to be spruced up. It's a pit. They need to get enough ski business to make investments in new lifts worth it's while. 

swoop
January 8, 2020
64 posts

snowsmith-I think you are spot on with a logical approach for priorities and timing to make a run at next season.  The problem many see is that if lifts are just patched up, there are many that have serious reservations about riding them.  (See wfyurasko above).  I believe it is more than a PR issue as people actually got hurt-

Anyway, good logical approach, I can see the excitement building I would just like to see the rehab plan-it still seems awfully aggressive-of course we will all be routing for them.

Timothy.grasso
January 8, 2020
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts

The only time that I have skied Timberline was the MAJOR snow in 2016 and it was the best day of my life!  I hope a new lift and upgrading the snow making is in their 2 year plan.

With the purchase by PN, do you think this will force Canaan to expand their snowmaking?  They are using what they have to create a good base for a few trails but the fun at Canaan is their "natural snow" trails.   With the current state of the climate, they get about 4 days a season (I think last year, it was 3 in December).  I read the snow report each day waiting for those trails to open and if possible, will take the off to enjoy them! Thoughts?

chaga
January 8, 2020
646 posts

I may take you up on that bet

snowsmith wrote:

. If I were a betting man, I'd bet a large sum that no lifts will be replaced for next season. 

January 8, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The North Family is not stupid, I bet there will be a new lift primarily serving the top of the mountain.  Then perhaps fix the existing lift to serve the mid-mountain only.  A fast, not detachable, new four person chair to the top should be adequate; then perhaps fix up the old bubble lift that could be operated in case the new chair had to shut down for some reason, or for wind were it a high speed chair.

Thus you would have three chairs operating all time: rebuilt shorter chair to mid mountain only, one existing short chair to the beginners area, and the new chair to the top. Perhaps nboth the new chair and mid/Mt chairs would have a magic carpet loader assist.

Hose out, actually pressure wash and paint the inside of the lodge, replace/rebuild the toilet areas., make do the first year of ops, and invest heavily in automatic snowmaking on several major trails versus dragging the guns and hoses across the mountain.  Repair and use the existing snowmaking infrastructure on other trails.  The upgrade the older snowmaking equip to automatic guns a bit at the time over a few years.

what you think?  I believe a new chair is essential to restoring thepublic's confidence.  
MorganB aka The Colonel

January 8, 2020
2,038 posts

Skytrac fixed grip quad is my guess for a new lift.

chaga
January 8, 2020
646 posts

id guess the triple and the bunny will be replaced if i were a betting man. doppelmayr

JohnL
January 8, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

. If I were a betting man, I'd bet a large sum that no lifts will be replaced for next season. 

I'm with Chaga.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Norsk
January 9, 2020
317 posts

Majority of the snowmaking investment needed is below ground, not above.  New guns won't matter if the pipes leak too badly to get water up the hill.

All the chatter in the Valley is about a new lift.  Manufacturers supposedly doing site visits, bids supposedly being solicited, etc.  Who knows, lotsa rumors.  Would sure be nice.

That said, there are still more than 150 Borvig lifts in operation at ski areas around the US (mostly in the NE), right?  Many of those in states that have state tramway inspection boards.  So someone, somewhere, knows how to inspect and maintain those lifts.  

camp
January 9, 2020
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

JohnL wrote:

...Lazso and Platty have a bit of Al Davis in them.

Say no more (fingers in ears). Don't ruin Platty for me :)

Shotmaker
January 9, 2020
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

JohnL wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

I'm with Chaga.

My money would be on maxing the snowmaking capability first and making sure the current lifts are inspected and up to satisfactory condition. The month of January over the past 20 years is the month where the most natural snowfall occurs at Canaan/Timberline. We are in a pattern where the past 9 years snowfall has been less than 3' for the month. The average over 20 years is nearly 4'. From 2001-2011 the average was about 5'. So building and maintaining a base with as many slopes open is a good way to attract a range of skiers. The current lifts are slow and public confidence in one's safety is very important but if you cannot make enough snow then how do you attract people to ski there?

Hopefully things will turn back to a better winter pattern but if we don't for a number of years like the past 9 on average the ability to make snow will be the most important consideration for ski resorts in the Mid-Atlantic region.

http://data.canaanmtnsnow.com/

January 9, 2020
1,576 posts

JohnL wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

I'm with Chaga.

I'd be willing to wager say....a fifty spot that the triple and double lifts that go to the top of the mountain will be operating at TL for the 2020/2021 season.

chaga
January 9, 2020
646 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Chaga.

I'd be willing to wager say....a fifty spot that the triple and double lifts that go to the top of the mountain will be operating at TL for the 2020/2021 season.

Ok you are on!  

January 9, 2020
2,038 posts

chaga wrote:

id guess the triple and the bunny will be replaced if i were a betting man. doppelmayr

If they use Doppelmayr lifts at PN that makes sense. I'm guessing Skytrac because this type of lift installation is in their wheelhouse and they also specialize in lift rebuilds phased in over a few years. As for a loading conveyor, Hidden Valley tried them and I believe they no longer use them. I'm not sure if it was maintenance issues or loading issues. Getting an inground conveyor up and running after a rainy thaw/freeze event must be fun.

January 9, 2020
1,576 posts

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Chaga.

Ok you are on!  

Awesome! 50 smackers will get me a nice dinner😎

JohnL
January 10, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

snowsmith wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Chaga.

Ok you are on!  

I'm in also. You did say AND.

Chaga and I may have to celebrate together. 

JohnL
January 10, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

JohnL wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

I'm with Chaga.

My money would be on maxing the snowmaking capability first and making sure the current lifts are inspected and up to satisfactory condition. The month of January over the past 20 years is the month where the most natural snowfall occurs at Canaan/Timberline. We are in a pattern where the past 9 years snowfall has been less than 3' for the month. The average over 20 years is nearly 4'. From 2001-2011 the average was about 5'. So building and maintaining a base with as many slopes open is a good way to attract a range of skiers. The current lifts are slow and public confidence in one's safety is very important but if you cannot make enough snow then how do you attract people to ski there?

Hopefully things will turn back to a better winter pattern but if we don't for a number of years like the past 9 on average the ability to make snow will be the most important consideration for ski resorts in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Don't disagree on snow making. At a minimum, they need upgraded snow making AND one new lift to the top. They seem very savy, and Im sure the Perfects know this.

JohnL
January 10, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

camp wrote:

JohnL wrote:

...Lazso and Platty have a bit of Al Davis in them.

Say no more (fingers in ears). Don't ruin Platty for me :)

I used to worry about that; but you can't get to Platty unless you really want to get to Platty. So VT is actually more convenient.

JohnL
January 10, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

JohnL wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

I'm with Chaga.

I've been skiing T-Line for 15 years now; very familiar with the weather history and of your linked site. 

1) I doubt both main lifts pass inspection. From previous knowledge.

2) At least some of the snowmaking pipes have to be redone for year one. It may be more cost effective to replace all of it though.

3) Lodge can wait. It is functional, rest of infra is not.

January 10, 2020
2,038 posts

JohnL wrote:

I've been skiing T-Line for 15 years now; very familiar with the weather history and of your linked site. 

1) I doubt both main lifts pass inspection. From previous knowledge.

2) At least some of the snowmaking pipes have to be redone for year one. It may be more cost effective to replace all of it though.

3) Lodge can wait. It is functional, rest of infra is not.

Oh, they will clean up the lodge too. It is just as much the face of a resort as lifts or snowmaking. Probably more so to the average recreational skier. They don't see snowmaking infrastructure, they do see the lodge.

chaga
January 14, 2020
646 posts

JohnL wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

chaga wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Chaga.

Ok you are on!  

I'm in also. You did say AND.

Chaga and I may have to celebrate together. 

whoa, wait a sec John, dont be cutting in on my action! We can still celebrate though. Hopefully we can get a lift chair fundraising auction/sale, because I'd like one as a porch swing!  

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2020
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Back to the lift question, I would love to see a high speed but unless they can also have fixed grips the whole mountain could shut down during wind events.  

Esp. when T'line was actually busy the main lift was painfully slow in part due to beginners who were only going to the mid station.  If they are sticking with fixed grips they better have enough to spread the experience levels out some.  If a fix grip can run at full speed to the top it wouldn't be to bad.

maybe clear some of the dead fall out of cherry bowl, or is that a controversial suggestion?

swoop
January 16, 2020
64 posts

There you have it-brand new lift for sure and some level of commitment to new snowmaking equipment/infrastructure, as well as high confidence that they will get it all done in one off season.  Go Perfect North! Tline to rise from the ashes!

https://www.skisoutheast.com/hoppy-kercheval-of-wv-metro-news-interviews-new-owners-of-timberline-resort/

chaga
January 16, 2020
646 posts

SNowsmith, you can just call Stumptown Ales in Davis, and have them add a $50 giftcard tab for me if you want. I promise to buy beers for other skiers with it :) 

swoop wrote:

There you have it-brand new lift for sure and some level of commitment to new snowmaking equipment/infrastructure, as well as high confidence that they will get it all done in one off season.  Go Perfect North! Tline to rise from the ashes!

https://www.skisoutheast.com/hoppy-kercheval-of-wv-metro-news-interviews-new-owners-of-timberline-resort/

January 16, 2020
1,576 posts

Chaga- we'll see next November. I'm still betting that they won't get that done this year. Maybe you can come to the Laurel Mountain gathering and give me a 50 spot advance. I'm a little nicer, I'll buy you one beer😎.

mdr227
January 19, 2020
193 posts

swoop wrote:

That is great news that they are putting in a new lift, working on infrastructure and planning to open next year.    

chaga
February 1, 2020
646 posts

it's offical.  New logo sign up at the 3 way stop by the resort. Triple should be getting torn down starting next week I think

http://timberlinemountain.com/

Scott - DCSki Editor
February 1, 2020
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

I really like the new logo!

rbrtlav
February 3, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2020
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Woot !  love it.  I am buying a chair !  :)

February 4, 2020
1,576 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

https://timberlinemountain.com/news-from-the-mountain/

New lift is in the works.

Chaga- looks like I lost. 😢 Sorry JohnL ....I can only fund one gambling loss.

mdr227
February 4, 2020
193 posts

Great to see they are working things over the Winter, but sad to see in those pictures there is so little snow on the ground there.   Hopefully all the cold weather we all desperately want is holding off until next Winter to give them a massive opening year.    

Hopefully they'll be putting in a quad chair at a minimum.    I assume the Silver Queen lift will be kept as is?

chaga
February 4, 2020
646 posts

snowsmith wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

https://timberlinemountain.com/news-from-the-mountain/

New lift is in the works.

Chaga- looks like I lost. 😢 Sorry JohnL ....I can only fund one gambling loss.

I'll settle for a triple chair to hang in my yard! Buy 2 or more and they are only $200/ea :) 

Norsk
February 5, 2020
317 posts

I thought the Silver Queen was dead dead.  Maybe not?  Surely the new mgmt would at least convert it back to a double if they try to run it?  Or are they planning to go with only one lift to the top for the coming season?  

Vermont
February 5, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

A recon field trip might be in order 

February 5, 2020 (edited February 5, 2020)
925 posts

Norsk wrote:

I thought the Silver Queen was dead dead.  Maybe not?  Surely the new mgmt would at least convert it back to a double if they try to run it?  Or are they planning to go with only one lift to the top for the coming season?  

I think the last report was they were both using it as a double and skipping chairs.  This probably needs to die.  I always hated those dividers on the safety bar anyway.

chaga
February 7, 2020
646 posts

who said it was staying?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubgWMwSD0k  

pagamony wrote:

Norsk wrote:

I think the last report was they were both using it as a double and skipping chairs.  This probably needs to die.  I always hated those dividers on the safety bar anyway.

kwillg6
February 13, 2020
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Chair towers on the ground.  My inside source whisprered a fixed grip quad with reconfiguring the base and top.   Probably bag mid station off the quad.  The Queen is being diassembled as well.  Chairs and shieves down.  Maybe another fixed grip quad?  They could run a shorter lift to mid and install several conveyor beginner lifts in the base area.  Lodge will remain but be upgraded inside and made more comfy.  I expect the first aid building to become a bonfire.  Not very serviceable at the moment.  The junk has been alll cleaned up and old groomers are waiting for transport to a place that will use them for parts.   I'm impressed with Perfect North, although probably no pub.  Get your rental slopeside and skirt that issue.  They are well aware of the pump issues and I expect most to get resolved this summer.  Water lines will be an ongoing project but when is it not?   

jpetraiuolo
February 16, 2020
Member since 02/11/2020 🔗
54 posts

This may be too much wishful thinking her but TM’s website says they are working on several new projects. Any chance for one of these projects is an expansion? 

kwillg6
February 16, 2020
2,066 posts

I doubt if expansion is on their plate when so much in upgrades are needed.  If they get the mountain 100% open in the next season or two with new lifts, I think the customers will be estatic.  I know I would.  When Timberline has full capacity, it skis big.  Get a couple of feet of fresh on top and it skis even bigger.   I'm not greedy.  Just want my home hill operating by folks who obviously know what they are doing.    

kwillg6
February 16, 2020
2,066 posts

Got into a discussion with a long time skier in the valley who argued that they must install a high speed lift to get skiers back.  He was using the arguement that snowshoe,, seven springs, whitetail, ect have them and to compete, Timberline needed one.  The exhisting lifts at Timberline were not run much more than 50% speed capicity due to the inability of the customers to load quickly and cleanly and even then, they stopped the lifts way too much.  A reconfiguration of the loading areas would improve the ability for the lifts to run faster.   

February 16, 2020
353 posts

kwillg6 wrote:

Got into a discussion with a long time skier in the valley who argued that they must install a high speed lift to get skiers back.   <snip>

That's certainly true for me. The lifts there were bad in 2013 and apparently got much worse. It's likely a 3-hour drive at best and I don't want to lose another 30 minutes because of slow, two-seat lifts.

wgo
February 16, 2020 (edited February 16, 2020)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Bit of a strawman argument to compare a new HSQ to Timberlines old lifts as the choice. Clearly the old lifts needed to be replaced. I would be happy with new fixed grip quads that run well.
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2020
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

It's a tricky choice.  Uphll capacity is the same with a fixed verse detachable.  So if you are PN and want to deliver a solid skiing experience, then the fixed economics is pretty attractive.  But then you have the marketing angle.  98% of skiers don't understand a detachable doesn't reduce lines... but it does reduce ride time, and 98% of skiers definitely pay attention to ride time.  And as mentioned, 7S has a detachable, SS has a detachable, Wintergreen has a detachable. etc.

So quick back of the envelope calc - 4,000' length lift.  Depending on various factors, detachables are typically run at about 800-900 FPM.  Fixed run at 400-500 FPM.  Loading carpets in theory allow for 550 feet per minute.  So lets say a ride time of just under 5 minutes verse 8-9 minutes... tough call.

Finally, everyone has an opinion about loading and stoppages, but IMHO a well managed liftie crew is the biggest factor when it comes to avoiding stoppages.  

February 17, 2020
925 posts

chaga wrote:

who said it was staying?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubgWMwSD0k  

pagamony wrote:

Norsk wrote:

Really?  Wow, I've never seen the Smiths on a ski message board.  Does Morrisey ski ?  Does he prefer doubles or triples ?  idk....

personally, I am fine with a fixed quad or whatever, just open up and get us up the hill.  With snow please. 

Norsk
February 17, 2020
317 posts

I'm mostly in the fixed-grip-with-loading-conveyor camp, because it would save the PNS crew a couple million $ which they could use on snowmaking repairs, etc.  They have a history of reinvesting in their mountain in IN but its a family operation so I assume funds are not unlimited.

I do understand the marketing appeal of a detachable, however.  And the other thing about a detachable is that while uphill capacity is the same as a fixed grip, that only equalizes the amount of potential skiing when there are crowds.  When the place is empty (weekdays, Sunday afternoons, 9-10am, etc) a detachable allows many more laps.  So...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2020
3,246 posts

Some comments based on my experience at other places that may or may not apply to T-line.

When Waterville Valley in NH was planning to open up Green Mountain a few years ago, they considered a detachable quad.  But decided to move a fixed-grip triple instead.  Then had $2-3 million dollars to spend on other capital projects.  The bonus is probably that the triple line doesn't get that long on busy weekends.  Of course, WV already had a detachable lift almost to the summit so it's a bit of different situation.

The detachable 6-pack at Jiminy Peak was put in quite a while ago.  It serves about 80% of the terrain, from green to ungroomed blacks.  Certainly makes for a lot of fun midweek.  Especially since there is night skiing on a good variety of trails and that starts at 3pm.

Beech had an old detachable quad as a primary base lift.  It was getting pretty unreliable before it was replaced a few years ago.  They went with a fixed-grip quad.  Also replaced an old double with a fixed-grip quad at the same time.  In contrast, Sugar managed to install a chondola to replace a very slow double.  Although Sugar only hangs chairs.

msprings
February 21, 2020
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
2 lifts are coming down: https://www.canaanvalley.org/blog/timberline-mountain-reopening-winter-2020-2021
February 22, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I cannot imagine the Perfect TL operating with only one lift to the top.  Any major stoppages would lead to a terrible negative outcry something definitely not needed by a company trying to resurrect TL!

padjaski68
February 22, 2020
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
Quoted from the article "The only thing that can be shared is that the Thunderstruck Chairlift, best known as the “Triple” will be replaced. The only thing remaining of the triple are the loading and unloading structures. An entirely new “Triple” lift will be operating for the 2020/2021 season." It is surprising they are deciding to go with another triple. With the Silver Queen lift replacement still unknown. It does make you wonder if that lift could a "true" used triple replacement instead of modified double. Reading PN's history one would think they like repurpose existing lifts in other areas of the resort. They could get a used Skytrac quad for cheap from the Hermitage Club. 😁
February 22, 2020
2,038 posts

Is the new chair going to be a triple or a "Tripple"?

kwillg6
March 5, 2020
2,066 posts

The Thunderstruck lift is history. All towers are gone.  The Queen lift is history.  All towers are gone.  The beginner double has chairs off ans in the parkig lot.  Looks like it will follow suit.  PNS has brrn bringing pole cat guns from Indiana as well as a few others.  I drive by everyday  and can't help but notice the  continued use of dumpsters as they clean the place up.  I'm excited about the progress.  Lots of consulting with previous mountain manager who knows every nut and bolt on the mountain.  Can't wait to see the progress after mud season. 

March 21, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Any news or indication when the TLPerfect plans announcement will be forthcoming?!!!!  Rumors???

powday
March 26, 2020 (edited March 26, 2020)
Member since 01/6/2014 🔗
40 posts

The annoucement exceeded any expectation I could ever have imagined!  They are putting in 2 new chairs one of which will be a 6-pack high speed!  The other will be a mid-station quad.  Wow. 

Khgom
March 27, 2020
Member since 03/27/2020 🔗
3 posts

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?