Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
Home
2019 - 2020 Snowshoe Thread
29 posts from 9 users
Updated 2 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
one month ago

Since I’m an SS “homer’ perhaps  we can keep our SS love (and hate) in one thread for this season.

Look what my buddy just sent me …….

And so it begins.  Portable snow guns moved out of storage

one month ago

Snowshoe’s Early Season Pass is available.  $109 gets you unlimted access from opening day til Christmas.

Details here

one month ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Since I’m an SS “homer’ perhaps  we can keep our SS love (and hate) in once thread for this season.

Look what my buddy just sent me …….

And so it begins.  Portable snow guns moved out of storage

Temps may hit 32 Sat night and next week so look for gun testing to start soon!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

Got an email from Ikon with opening dates for the east.  Snowshoe projected date is Nov. 22.

one month ago

marzNC wrote:

Got an email from Ikon with opening dates for the east.  Snowshoe projected date is Nov. 22.

FWIW, last year they did manage to hit the target opening date on 11/21 with 2 blues, 1 park, and if I remember correctly all of hootenanny and maybe log slide. Really ended up being one of the better opening days in a while, weather helped them some, but I’m sure the new snow makers made a difference 

one month ago

rbrtlav wrote:

marzNC wrote:

FWIW, last year they did manage to hit the target opening date on 11/21 with 2 blues, 1 park, and if I remember correctly all of hootenanny and maybe log slide. Really ended up being one of the better opening days in a while, weather helped them some, but I’m sure the new snow makers made a difference 

No, it was 14 trails….

http://www.dcski.com/forum/95441

one month ago

Snowshoe talk is the sole reason I visit this site. Wonder if there are enough of us to make a sub forum viable. 

one month ago

A couple friends stayed in my condo this weekend and sent me these ……

one month ago

Certainly not a powder day.  It’s always nice to see those first flakes to get the blood flowing.

29 days ago
First flakes are falling now!
29 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

First flakes are falling now!

I’ll get this webpage cleaned up one day but here’s all the SS cams on one page.  2 thumbs up for snow

SS WEBCAMS 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
29 days ago

Neat!  Snow before Halloween!

OpenSnow has 4 cameras linked to the Snowshoe webpage.  May need to be a subscriber to see them.  But the annual fee is pretty low.  Includes Silver Creek.

29 days ago

Or just go here for free:

http://www.resortcams.com/ski-cams/

20 days ago

2019.2020 WINTER EVENT SCHEDULE

NOVEMBER 22 Official Opening Day (weather permitting)

NOVEMBER 28 -30  Thanksgiving Weekend Celebration

DECEMBER 13 Silver Creek Opening Day (weather permitting)

DECEMBER 14  Park Jam present by Smith

DECEMBER 14 Winter Brewfest

DECEMBER 15 WV SKI FREE DAY

DECEMBER 31 New Year’s Eve Celebration (The Connection, Split Rock Pool, Kids Kountdown, Big Top, Hoots and Village Plaza)

JANUARY 4-5 Burton Women’sSnowboardCamp

JANUARY 11-12 Burton Kid’s Snowboard Camp

JANUARY 11-12  SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U10-U14

JANUARY 17-19 Martin LutherKing Weekend

JANUARY 25-26 HEAD Women’sSkiCamp

FEBRUARY 1-2 SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U-16-U19

FEBRUARY 3 Cupp Run Challenge

FEBRUARY 8  Progression Session

FEBRUARY 14-17  President’s Weekend

FEBRUARY 19-21 SWRA (South Eastern Winter Reps Association)

FEBRUARY 21 Winter Gala presented:by Snowshoe Foundation

FEBRUARY 22 Berming Man

FEBRURARY 29-March 1 SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U14 Championship

MARCH 7-8 Homegrown Music Festival & Crescent Ski Council-Private Race

MARCH 13-14 Ballhooter Spring Break Festival

MARCH 15 Silver Creek Closing Day

MARCH 21 Snowshoe Pond Skim

MARCH 22  WV SKI FREE

MARCH 28 End of Season PassHolderAppreciationParty

MARCH 29 Last day of ski season

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
20 days ago

Is there usually a demo day at Snowshoe in December?  How about January?

17 days ago

Will we see snow gun testing this weekend at the Shoe?

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 28.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 39.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Blustery.

Sunday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. Breezy.

Sunday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 26.

13 days ago

Snow Guns Blazing at the SHOE  ——- Shavers Webcam

10 days ago
Guns been on & off last 3 days. Might be more than testing. Next few nights are marginal temps then it’s all-in Thurs through ???
7 days ago

Snowshoe all in as expected.  Good to see HV and 7S rocking this AM. I’m heading to the Pittsbugh airport this AM and it’s friggin cold around here.

I’m surprised to see Siver Creek running several guns.  They already tested those last week.  They usually do not open until a couple weeks after the basin.

Snowshoe Cams 

Seven Springs Cams

Hidden Valley Cams

5 days ago

Whale watching at the Shoe

4 days ago

Homer or not, the snow cams are looking good. SS is always the most reliable bet in the DC metro area. Love the south montain (soaring eagle lift). Camp 99, Sawmill and Widow Maker are calling.

2 days ago

So I booked a trip to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  (WOOT!)  We will stay in Expedition Station.  The question arose as to whether the snow making guns might be loud when on at night and mess with our sleep if we are in a room on the slope side.

Anyone have an opinion on this?  It’s not too late to request a room on the other side.  TIA

2 days ago

Keith_Moon wrote:

… snow making guns might be loud …

REAL L-O-U-D…sorta like camping in a puptent on an airport runway!!! LOL

2 days ago

You will definitely hear them.  More importantly, you’ll hear the groomers at 5 - 7 AM.  They are pretty loud when they back up with that safety beep.

I smile when I hear them.   That means you are close to the slopes !!

2 days ago
I stayed in ES once. Don’t recall the guns being an issue but maybe they didn’t run. Several friend have stay at mountain lodge on a regular basis and they don’t complain.
2 days ago

So, are they less loud on the village side?

2 days ago

You can hear them, but it’s more of a white noise and I actually like the sound of the fan guns. The kicker is the cats that sometimes have the backup alarms, I think they try to avoid grooming skidder overnight but sometimes weather or snowmaking means it needs an early morning grooming. 
I think they have ear plugs available, but honestly it’s going to be much quieter than any hotel near a road or airport and if you don’t mind white noise you probably won’t notice it. Village side you likely won’t hear them at all, but on a busy weekend you would hear them at all, but you get the village noises.

2 days ago

SS flexing their “Guns”

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Shout it from a mountaintop.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.22 seconds