Stories about WV Ski areas existing or lost
4 posts
3 users
2k+ views
kwillg6
May 31, 2019
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

In moving along with the establishment of the Snow Sports Museum of West Virginia, we are looking for any historical and or factual stories and priinted material related to skiing in the state.  Anything related to individuals, ski areas, events, etc... will do.  Our efforts  to establish a museum of the state's snow sports is moving forward with building interest and enthusiasm from various sources.  If you can share  or donate, feel free to contact me through the Snow Sports Museum of West Virginia at PO Box 421, Davis, WV 26260 or message me on this site.   We are a 501c3 non-profit corporation.  

Kim Williams

bob
May 31, 2019
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Have you looked at the Lost Ski Areas section on DCSki? Click on community, then lost ski areas,

kwillg6
June 14, 2019
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

bob wrote:

Have you looked at the Lost Ski Areas section on DCSki? Click on community, then lost ski areas,

I have and some of the info is inaccurate or missing.  Our research has involved interviewing individuals who were involved with the "lost"  areas.  I was surprised that Shadow Mountain ws never mentioned in anything written about Tory Mountain. I understand that  was the original concept for that location.  Had the developers had the financial backing to get electric and water to the area, the discussion on Timberline and Snowshoe would have taken a back seat to Tory.  The vertical was the real deal and the potential of some major vertical was and still is there.  We're talking over 2k on the northeast side or "back" of the original proposed resort.   

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 20, 2019
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

that's interesting I have never hear of shadow mtn.  Tory is a perfect spot, it would have been swellagent, and you can still barely see the slopes in satellite pictures.  However, no way you are getting any more vert off the NE face.  It's a long ridge with several bulges and false peaks.  You could XC for a couple of hours over to the last 400 feet of super steep vertical, then turn around and go back, a full day.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?