Tahoe discovery
7 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2019 (edited March 14, 2019)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Homewood, a smaller, less known, less patronized area on the west side of the lake.  Reminds me of Mad River Glen.  It has been there for many years and has a reputation for the best tree skiing in Tahoe and the best views of the lake.  I had a memorable day skiing there with friends from MD on 3/12.  How could I have skied in California for many years and never tried this place?  The Ikon and Epic Pass areas capture most Tahoe skiers, and once possessing one of these passes there is an understandable reluctance to spend additional money to go somewhere else.  On the other hand if you enjoy exploring, beautiful trails, and escape from the madding crowd, give it a try.  Lift ticket prices are very modest.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I've heard that Diamond Peak has good views of the lake as well.

Had a very good time at Homewood a while back on a Saturday.  Main trick was to arrive by 8am in order to get a space in the tiny parking lot.  Makes for a good way to get warmed up while adjusting to the altitude.  Happened to be a day after a snowstorm.  There was plenty of chance to make fresh tracks on the short black trails all morning.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2019 (edited March 15, 2019)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

It’s not Squaw, or Alpine or Kirkwood.  It is a mid size mountain for the west, 1600 vert., but it skis big.  The short blacks are at the bottom.  Above that the terrain opens up and is mellower, revealing many blues and a few blacks and greens.  Between the blues the trees beckon.  I didn’t do them because last week’s powder had turned to styrofoam, but they looked beautiful.  Even before the knee surgeries I had pretty much sworn off trees with a black pitch, but powder in the trees, with blue pitch - I love it.  Several Tahoe places remain on my not yet skied list, Diamond Peak and Mt. Rose.  Looking forward to them.  It’s now  3.5 months since the second knee replacement and I have 12 days.  I see the surgeon for final checkup later today.  I want to see the look on his face when I tell him.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Mt. Rose is definitely worth checking out.  I skied there mostly as an intermediate.  More than enough blues to keep me entertained.  The second lodge at the end of the road is probably the better place to park.

JohnL
March 31, 2019
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Denis wrote:

Homewood, a smaller, less known, less patronized area on the west side of the lake.  Reminds me of Mad River Glen.  It has been there for many years and has a reputation for the best tree skiing in Tahoe and the best views of the lake.  I had a memorable day skiing there with friends from MD on 3/12.  How could I have skied in California for many years and never tried this place?  The Ikon and Epic Pass areas capture most Tahoe skiers, and once possessing one of these passes there is an understandable reluctance to spend additional money to go somewhere else.  On the other hand if you enjoy exploring, beautiful trails, and escape from the madding crowd, give it a try.  Lift ticket prices are very modest.

Yo Mr. D., glad the new knees are doing well.

Homewood is a rocking little joint, skied it back in the Mid 90’s on 65 ish skis. Fun locals joint with great views of the lake since the base is a long toss from the lake.

But no where near MRG wrt challenge. Even considering the bowl area upper lookers left. Maybe wrt old school vibe and amenities. 

Very much a place to check out though. Glad you made it there.

superguy
April 3, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Loved Homewood and it's off-the-beaten-path vibe, which is kinda ironic as it's right on the main loop.  Felt like turning into a 7-11 parking lot except there were lifts and a lodge there instead. :D

Crush
April 4, 2019
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

marzNC wrote:

I've heard that Diamond Peak has good views of the lake as well.

Had a very good time at Homewood a while back on a Saturday.  Main trick was to arrive by 8am in order to get a space in the tiny parking lot.  Makes for a good way to get warmed up while adjusting to the altitude.  Happened to be a day after a snowstorm.  There was plenty of chance to make fresh tracks on the short black trails all morning.

Diamond Peak does!! I have a season pass there and live right across from it and with the pass you get 4 comp tickets to Homewood - all for $289 if you're a Incline Village local. We've been skiing at Homewood for the past three weekends - agree ... parking can be tough there are south and north lots but they get filled up fast.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?