Ski Roundtop - tips?
5 posts
5 users
2k+ views
goldgreen
January 27, 2019
Member since 01/26/2019 🔗
1 posts

HI!  I'm taking my 12-year old twin daughters to Ski Roundtop over President's Day weekend.  We are beginners and we've never been before.  Anyone got any tips on how to make the most of our stay?  We'll be at the Marriott in Mechanicsburg.  Thanks!

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Get some lessons.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2019
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

All day class or private lessons, a bit expensive but worth every penny

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2019 (edited January 27, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

goldgreen wrote:

HI!  I'm taking my 12-year old twin daughters to Ski Roundtop over President's Day weekend.  We are beginners and we've never been before.  Anyone got any tips on how to make the most of our stay?  We'll be at the Marriott in Mechanicsburg.  Thanks!

Hello!  Have you found SkiPA?  Has some good tips for first-timers.

https://www.skipa.com/plan-a-trip/plan-a-trip/1st-timers

Are you going to drive up on Friday?  If so, plan on getting up early in order to get to Roundtop an hour before the lifts open.  That way you will get good parking and have shorter lines for lift tickets and rental gear.  Allow an hour for getting everyone set up.  Should be a package deal for first-time skiers that includes a lesson.

Has your family been ice skating?  Roller blading?  What sports do the girls like?  Are they social or do they tend to keep to themselves, as twins sometimes do?

superguy
January 28, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I'd suggest taking one of the learn to ski packages.  It'll get you a beginner lift ticket, all rentals, and a lesson.  And if you think you'll ever be back this season, buy the Mountain Passport card.  It's a really good deal.  For $55 if bought after your lesson (or $65 within 2 weeks), you get another package - but it's the all mountain package, so you can go exploring if you want.  Plus it acts as an advantage card, which gets you 40% off lifts and rental for the rest of the season, plus a free class lesson every time you visit.  That's good at all 3 mountains (Roundtop, Liberty and Whitetail).

If you even go once more on that Mountain Passport card, you saved yourself about $80 on your next visit.  It pays for itself first visit.

If you're going with friends who are season pass holders, see if they still have their learn to ski/board packages on their pass.  All season pass holders get one free learn to ski/board package, and you can still take advantage of the Mountain Passport.  I did this exact thing for my son on Christmas, and my friend just did it for his nephew.  If you can go this route, $55 with full rentals, lifts and lessonsfor your next is a screaming deal. Even if you have to buy the first package, it's still a great deal.

Only one "gotcha" with this: the instructor is supposed to tell you about this package at the end of the lesson.  They didn't tell my son, and my friend said they didn't mention it on Saturday when he took his nephew.  Both of these happened at Whitetail.  Even if they don't mention it, just hit guest services after the lesson if you want it.  We did it at the end of the night on our way out - they want the lift ticket showing the learn to ski/board package so they can issue the card, so don't throw it out.

See http://www.skiroundtop.com/mountain-passport for more details.  Enjoy!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.