Wisp and brown bag lunches?
11 posts
8 users
3k+ views
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2018
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Anyone aware of a policy that Wisp doesn't allow brown bag lunches to be brought or eaten in the lodge cafeteria area?  And if this is really a rule (kind of crazy in my opinion), is it strictly enforced?  Thanks for thoughts- 

Bonzski
October 25, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

It's been a few yrs since I last went to Wisp but there was nothing preventing bringing food into the lodge area.  Very open environment.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

We skied there last season and saw several families bring along their own food.  Hopefully it's not something they would enforce. 

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2018
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Ok thanks - their "group sales" flyer has a bunch of mumbo jumbo that says no brown bag lunches are allowed in any of our dining facilities, so why not take advantage of our value priced meal vouchers for your group....  sheesh

crgildart
October 29, 2018 (edited October 29, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Every place I've skied in the past 10 years had some kind of sinage in their main dining areas like "No Brown Bag Lunches" in the dining area.  Every single one has other places, either upstairs, downstairs, or out on the deck where brown bag patrons are welcome.  They just try to keep tables right near where the food lines are located reserved for those customers. Now, if they'd just get rid of all the boot bags stuffed under tables everywhere, now that would be an improvement.

Justinw303
November 1, 2018
Member since 10/2/2018 🔗
6 posts

crgildart wrote:

Now, if they'd just get rid of all the boot bags stuffed under tables everywhere, now that would be an improvement.

When a resort doesn't have adequte locker/storage space it can really drag down the vibe

SCWVA
November 1, 2018
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Roundtop has a nice day skier area in their lodge that allows brown bagging. The brown bag area had cubbies where you could store your ski bags/ lunches. Some of the cubbies had outlets where people had crockpots plugged in. There was also a microwave.
crgildart
November 1, 2018
767 posts

Justinw303 wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Now, if they'd just get rid of all the boot bags stuffed under tables everywhere, now that would be an improvement.

When a resort doesn't have adequte locker/storage space it can really drag down the vibe

In 40 years of traveling, I've never seen a lodge anywhere that could accomidate storage for a boot bag for every single skier at full capacity.  Best to boot up at the car on crowded days, or even average days unless you have a seasonal locker or job related on site locker room perks.  It's a flaw in the business model of ski resorts in general.  The most serious enthusiasts want to boot up at the lodge, but the lodge can't possibly build in enough storage to accomidate everyone bringing a big boot bag in.

superguy
November 1, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

crgildart wrote:

Justinw303 wrote:

crgildart wrote:

In 40 years of traveling, I've never seen a lodge anywhere that could accomidate storage for a boot bag for every single skier at full capacity.  Best to boot up at the car on crowded days, or even average days unless you have a seasonal locker or job related on site locker room perks.  It's a flaw in the business model of ski resorts in general.  The most serious enthusiasts want to boot up at the lodge, but the lodge can't possibly build in enough storage to accomidate everyone bringing a big boot bag in.

I was complaining about that once at Tahoe and a guy there told me about Apex boots.  Boots were softer like boarding boots for walking but had an exoskeleton to turn it into a ski boot.  Really cool concept, but most Apex boots were really pricey.

crgildart
November 2, 2018 (edited November 2, 2018)
767 posts

Yak Trax makes rockered soft rubber ski boot sole covers that really make booting up at the car less harsh on your soles and walk across the icy parking lot.  I leave them hanging off the cable lock in front of the base while I'm skiing and grab them on the way back to the car at the end of the day.

Doesn't solve the problem of no lockers for your lunch, spare gloves, goggles, etc..  Highway robbery lodge caffeteria and ski shop seems to be their alternative for that.

snow.buck
November 2, 2018 (edited November 2, 2018)
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

crgildart wrote:

Yak Trax makes rockered soft rubber ski boot sole covers that really make booting up at the car less harsh on your soles and walk across the icy parking lot.

Remember the ones years ago...I had them...company went out-of-business (but there was some story about that)...they were convex, like a hump in the middle at youe arch so your boot would have a rocking motion. I could easily JOG up and down steps and the parking lot. They folded in the middle.

I just remembered = Walk-EZ

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?