Snowshoe - Easter Weekend (3/31 - 4/1) thoughts
27 posts
8 users
3k+ views
padjaski68
March 21, 2018
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts

Need some opinions from the regulars that go to Snowshoe. With the warmer weather expected in the middle of next week and into the weekend. How well do you think conditions will hold up? I'm ready to book the weekend but worried condition will deteriorate quickly. This is my last trip for the season so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

rbrtlav
March 21, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Snow might soften up a bit. But other than shays and maybe j-hook I don’t see many of the trails closing or even being questionable. It’s supposed to be below freezing through at least this Sunday and who knows if the temps beyond that will change. My guess at this point with the long term forecast would be hero snow, great coverage and no lines.

That being said, if you are worried I don’t believe lodging will tight that weekend, and I think the prices are pretty much set if you are more than 72 hours out, so you can probably wait until Monday or Tuesday to book. (I would call and confirm prices won’t fluctuate...)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'm heading down tonight and will give you a heads up on Sun night when I return.  Looks like snow in the forecast for Sat night this weekend.  

I'm in the same position you are.  I may go if it's but that will be 4 trips in 5 weeks and that drive sucks.

Like rb said, lodging should be plentiful so I would not rush to book anything soon.  

eggraid
March 22, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I haven't been up there in a couple months, but we will be at the shoe all next week, so I will update how conditions are to let you know, but we usually ski the last weekend or close to it, and it is usually spring conditions: thin in places, some trails close, soft snow in the afternoon, but a lot of fun. It looks like forecasts call for temps in the 40's there next week, so I would expect good coverage from what everyone is describing. The glades, Shays, and a couple others will close, but I bet almost everything else will be open.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Bonzski
March 22, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
^^ +1
padjaski68
March 22, 2018
95 posts
I definitely appreciate the feedback. I agree the drive will be a long one about 4.5 hrs. So far slopeside/village lodging is actually inexpensive even for some of higher end stuff. The misses wants to try the nighttime snowmobiling then watch the final four. Do they have a good sport bar or place to watch the games. Hopefully Western Territory will be open. First time skiing there so hopefully it will be a blast.
Bonzski
March 22, 2018
652 posts

Sports bar - I assume you mean a bar with many TVs.  Only one I would put near that is Misty's at Silvercreek.  Unfortunately I think they'll be closed...the mngr has been anxious to close to get started on some expansion/remodeling.  Since the mrs is with you, I recommend Toucque's (located above Appalachia Kitchen and adjacent to Cordouroy Inn...across road from Western Territory).  Toucques is newly remodeled with several TVs viewable from bar and tables, plus good food.  All restuarants in the village have TV(s) but they're mostly viewable from the bar areas.

wgo
March 22, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Tuques is good, but be aware that if you are staying in the village it is a few minutes walk. There is a path that connects shavers center to the top of powder monkey (where tuques is) but it will involve some walking across the snow (so wear appropriate footwear).
wgo
March 22, 2018
1,666 posts
While we are on the subject of bars/restaurants - will some restaurants have shutdown for the season already?
padjaski68
March 22, 2018
95 posts

Exercise is always good. We hiked out to the fire tower 2 years ago in May and were rewarded with beautiful views before the thunderstorms chased us back. It was definately quiet then lol. It will be interesting to compare the hospitality of Snowshoe to Stratton. Though in different regions both are former Intrawest resorts, now Alterra resorts. Stratton was my home for 3 years before moving to Vail to continue my career in hospitality. That was one thing Intrawest encouraged to employees was visiting their sister resorts. 

It will be interesting to see how many people come up for that weekend.

Bonzski
March 22, 2018
652 posts
I doubt any in the village plus Tuques will be closed. Hoots and Mistys - yes.
rbrtlav
March 23, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Conditions today are fantastic. Sawmill is a lot of fun if you are looking for bumps.

Shays looks completely skiable from the lift but is marked closed. Wonder if they will open it for the weekend.

wgo
March 23, 2018
1,666 posts

Looks like several days next week where temps are above freezing during the day but below freezing at night. Cornfest for closing weekend?

OrangePeels
March 24, 2018
Member since 03/21/2018 🔗
16 posts
How are the roads in at this time?
wgo
March 24, 2018
1,666 posts
Roads were already clear when I drove home Wednesday evening
padjaski68
March 24, 2018
95 posts
All booked for next weekend. The weather is looking promising for next week and weekend. Glad roads are clear. The cams today show it to be on the light side with people there.
Bonzski
March 24, 2018
652 posts
Roads are clear, crowds low-medium, snow is endless.
padjaski68
March 24, 2018
95 posts
Anyone else venturing up next weekend?
rbrtlav
March 24, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Crowds were out in force this afternoon. Morning wasn’t bad...but afternoon was about as bad as I’ve ever seen. I ended up lapping shays for 90 mins, upper was dicey and scaring people away. Lower was fun and quite skiable, came back over to the basin around 3:15 and was greeted with 35 min+ lines at ballhooter, they even had grabhammer running

eggraid
March 24, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Crowds were out in force this afternoon. Morning wasn’t bad...but afternoon was about as bad as I’ve ever seen. I ended up lapping shays for 90 mins, upper was dicey and scaring people away. Lower was fun and quite skiable, came back over to the basin around 3:15 and was greeted with 35 min+ lines at ballhooter, they even had grabhammer running

eggraid
March 24, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts
We got here last night and skies all day. I don't think the crowds we're the worst ever...heavy for late March but I think the huge crowds at Ballhooter were partly from the pond skim on Lower Ballhooter and because the other side of the lift line was essentially closed because of said po skim. Grabhammer and even powder monkey lifts had very light lines at the same time. The conditions were great, found so.e.soft snow on skiers left of Spruce and also upper Shay's (super fun) and sawmill glades. Lower Shay's was open but my kids didn't want to do it so I can't report on it. Lower Cupp was more crowded than. I am comfortable with doing more than 2-3 times
OrangePeels
March 24, 2018
Member since 03/21/2018 🔗
16 posts

Thanks for the info, wgo. Guess I'm going for it next weekend too :)

eggraid
March 24, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts
Sorry for typos, I'm posting on my phone
Bonzski
March 24, 2018
652 posts
Pond skim was at 2pm and they had one side of Ballhooter closed which made lines long on opposite side. Soaring Eagle was 3-5 deep all day.
rbrtlav
March 24, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Soaring eagle had quite a line when I went over..but I used grabhammer and powder monkey with short lines...I guess I should have been more specific in my earlier post about crowds being bad for laye season. Either way it was a fantastic day.

jim55
March 25, 2018
Member since 03/5/2018 🔗
6 posts

I will be there from this Wed to Saturday.   I hope the condidtions hold up for the last hurrah.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

If they put up an outdoor screen you could sit in the groomer carved stadium seating at Mount Ballhooter and watch the Final 4.

Coverage was pretty good this weekend.  I took a few aerial shots Fri / Sat.

Split Rock Pools @ 200 feet 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?