which would you ski... Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Wisp, or Laurel Mountain
8 posts
7 users
6k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2018
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I'm willing to drive a little bit for a day of skiing at someplace other than Whitetail.  Of the 4 places, which one would you pick?  They are all about a 1/2 within one another.  I've been to all except Laurel Mountain.  Having never been there I was leaning towards that, but there just aren't many trails there.  Yes I've read that lower wildcat is one of the steepest trails around.  Is it worth it?

I ski any slope around here other than bumps.

crgildart
January 31, 2018 (edited January 31, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I was going to say BK if Extrovert upper and lower is open..  until you said anything but bumps...  Stemboggan is also a pretty cool signature run there.  I've also not been to Laurel yet, but if it were day trip doable for me I'd pick that over BK simply because I've not been to Laurel yet.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I have a Laurel season pass. I ski there so often I lost count of my days. I grew up skiing western PA and WV. I've always called Laurel home but when it was closed I skied Blue Knob and Timberline when I could. Laurel is smaller than either but Laurel's terrain is fun and when it is wearing a deep winter coat it is even more fun. I'm a little biased. 

Wildcat is Extrovert steep and groomed nightly but yesterday there was about 8 inches of pow over the frozen groomed that formed chop islands to turn in when it really got steep.  Sometimes, after a meltdown, there be whales to harpoon but beware the spouting snowguns.

Go to Laurel.

Reisen
January 31, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

I vote BK or Laurel.  

Bijan
January 31, 2018
Member since 01/16/2018 🔗
10 posts

Check out the trail reports before deciding. I really want to go to Blue Knob but their website shows most of their fun stuff is closed at the moment. Although Stemboggan is open. Can't help with more than that. Haven't gotten to Whitetail yet this year so will be checking that out this Sunday, but I know the feeling of wanting something new.

SCWVA
January 31, 2018
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

I skied Wisp this past Saturday and its in great shape and is basically 100% open.  I like Blue Knob and want to get back there this season, but them seem to be struggling to get terrain open.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

itdoesntmatter wrote:

I'm willing to drive a little bit for a day of skiing at someplace other than Whitetail.  Of the 4 places, which one would you pick?  They are all about a 1/2 within one another.  I've been to all except Laurel Mountain.  Having never been there I was leaning towards that, but there just aren't many trails there.  Yes I've read that lower wildcat is one of the steepest trails around.  Is it worth it?

So at Whitetail, you ski all the blacks except the bump run?  Do you consider the lifts there fast or slow?

No point to drive to Seven Springs on a weekend from what I hear.

If you want more open terrain, then go to Wisp.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2018
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

marzNC wrote:

itdoesntmatter wrote:

So at Whitetail, you ski all the blacks except the bump run?  Do you consider the lifts there fast or slow?

No point to drive to Seven Springs on a weekend from what I hear.

If you want more open terrain, then go to Wisp.

Yes at Whitetail we ski everything off the express quad and experts choice quad except Exhibition.  I consider the lifts at Whitetail to be decent.

We will look at the trail conditions before we go. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?