Is the pen mightier than the snowboard?
Home
Meet Up President's Sunday @ Laurel Mountain
11 posts from 6 users
Updated 2 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
22 days ago

A few of us are looking to ski Laurel Sunday February 18. We may ski another day at Laurel or hit another resort on Monday, depending on conditions. JimK is onboard as am I and at least some of my Crazie family. My long time ski compadre, Marcus, will bring his near 60 years of smooth experience. Perhaps a few other former gathering attendees and 1st time ever Laurel visitors from the ‘Burgh may show, some with family in tow

Although not an official gathering as in days past (there is no slopeside lodging to host midday lunch social and apre-ski gathering spot) we all could meet for the day at Laurel. The lodge allows brown bagging and we can huddle over a few tables or if the weather is nice, the outdoor courtyard. We can even lunch alfresco at Midway if you are willing to ski with pack down to the old lodge. The building is locked, the structure has been stabilized but it is not safe for public use….perhaps one day.

JimK and I have lodging on the Ligonier side of the mountain. There are many restaurants and convivial watering holes to meet apres in town. Something much more rustic and private for Sunday apre-ski night can be arranged too. If condition are marginal,  Seven Springs will be a good option for Monday, there still should be good amount terrain there.

If your weekend is not set, meet us at Laurel Sunday Feb. 18.

22 days ago

I’m out for this year due to two other trips already booked back to back just before that  But, I’d be down for making this an annual event, new Mid Atlantic Gathering protocol if it works out as well as expected this time.  Monday won’t likely be in play for me, but driving up Friday, skiing all Saturday and Sunday morning for a couple hours is probably doable next year.

22 days ago

I plan to ski Blue Knob on Saturday (Feb 17) and Laurel on Sunday (Feb 18).  Hope to meet some of you there, it will be my first time visit to both places.  

22 days ago
I might make an appearance depending on my Schedule. I will probably be working at 7springs that day.
10 days ago

bump

10 days ago

Just learned from the advanced beginner women in our group that they want to go to Laurel for a day. At HV the other day. I’ll see if I can nudge the Laurel to Sunday. They don’t like the agression of 7S, and like the long greens at HV. Laurel might suit them too.

2 days ago

Meet up at 10 AM beside the lodge on the Ski Top trail Sunday morning. There is a double glass door on that side of the lodge that opens to the retail shop and ticket counter. I’ll find some yellow ribbon to put on my poles. I’m wearing a light blue jacket with dark blue asymmetric yoke, black pants and a silver/gray helmet with a Laurel stick on the front.

2 days ago
Down from 12 trails to 8. Were those 4 natural only? Would 5 inches of fresh reopen them. Or are they down to ground?
2 days ago

Innsbruck is closed. It has the mountain’s worst exposure. I assume that snowmaking is on going there.The other 3 trails are the 2 Innsbruck extentions (portions of the original trail) and Woodland, the old halfpipe between Upper Broadway and Upper Wildcat. Innsbruck is pretty important being the main novice trail but Broadway is very similar in degree off difficulty. Upper Broadway begins with a short intermediate straight shot to a novice pitch down to Deer Path, another novice pitch, down to the lift.

2 days ago

Snowmaking on skitop,upperwildcat,tamecat, at bottom of deer path. will be off soon.

Broadway is 4 cats wide, good coverage there, Lower wildcat is groomed with some icy spots. less than 8 inches will not increase trail count. 

2 days ago

fosphenytoin wrote:

I plan to ski Blue Knob on Saturday (Feb 17) and Laurel on Sunday (Feb 18).  Hope to meet some of you there, it will be my first time visit to both places.  

Hi, Sorry I’ll have to bow out.  Cancelled the trip last mintue due to weather forecast (rain), work and school.  I will try again next season.  Have fun y’all.  

Ad: Hidden Valley Condo for Sale

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds