Close Dates (or estimated) for Whitetail, T-Line, Canaan, Snowshoe
6 posts
6 users
3k+ views
NonstopSki
January 25, 2018
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

Could you all help me some estimates on close dates, based on your experience for the following mountains? 

Whitetail:

Timberline:

Canaan Valley:

Snowshoe: 

TomH
January 25, 2018 (edited January 25, 2018)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

I would estimate mid March for the first three and two or three weeks later for Snowshoe.  Someone more familiar with Snowshoe may have better info. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

TomH wrote:

I would estimate mid March for the first three and two or three weeks later for Snowshoe.  Someone more familiar with Snowshoe may have better info. 

Snowshoe estimates Easter Sunday - 4/1/18

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2018 (edited January 25, 2018)
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Helpful hint - if you are planning a spring visit, what you really want to know is how likely/unlikely a specific area is willing to power through a downturn in weather.   Example- Whitetail will try to make it to the 3rd or 4th weekend in March, but a warm up and/or rain may force a change in plans.  Last year Whitetail had to close early, but it's sister mountain Roundtop stayed open and made snow all the way through March.

I believe Canaan Valley has a limitation on water for snowmaking that can impact their late season efforts, other's can provide better info.

Snowshoe has the Trifecta - water, customers and cash - and consistently stays open through March.

Sounds like you haven't heard about snowmobile racing at Timberline, you're about to learn!

chaga
January 26, 2018 (edited January 26, 2018)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

already talking about closing dates? How morbid a bunch you all are!  Perhaps you need some ski therapy :) 

The *snowmaking* at tline is the best it's been in years. Everything open besides thunder draft (under the triple at the top...aka hollywood blvd)   There, I said it...free advertising and giving credit where credit is due.... (the skeleton crew mtn ops guys who dont ski but have worked their butts off this year) 

ps:  If you leave work now in DC, you can make a bluebird awesome ski day with sunset lift runs into night skiing in awesome conditions! Tomorrow should be really good too

AndyGene
January 26, 2018
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

We all know ski season in the Valley ends the second week of May when they need to close to preserve snow for the snowmobile races.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.