Snowshoe Opening Weekend 2017
9 posts
6 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2017 (edited November 27, 2017)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,581 posts

We managed to get down to SS Friday afternoon.  Since we got a late start we decided to pass on Friday afternoon and wait to hook up with a few friends on Sat.  I must say, there was A LOT of snow on the open trails.  Granted, there was not a lot open but what was open was well covered.

You basically had 3 top to botton runs open.  Spruce was really fun and you could split off to the Powder Monkey or Ballhooter lifts from the merge point.

The other two were off Hiesler Way and split at Mid Whistlepunk down to Powder Monkey / Wiffletree or continue down to Progression Park.  The park had a dozen or so features set up.

Crowds were not too bad and we rarely waited a few minutes in either lift line.   We actually ended up with 16 runs and over 10K vertical for the day.

I know a few others here were at SS this weekend and I'd be curious to hear their thoughts.   Our group was VERY happy to be out on the slopes again and kick off the season.  The rust in my body was very evident as I was beat after such a small number of runs.

I did not take many pics but here is a link to SNOWSHOE'S PICS

eggraid
November 27, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

We managed to get down to SS Friday afternoon.  Since we got a late start we decided to pass on Friday afternoon and wait to hook up with a few friends on Sat.  I must say, there was A LOT of snow on the open trails.  Granted, there was not a lot open but what was open was well covered.

You basically had 3 top to botton runs open.  Spruce was really fun and you could split off to the Powder Monkey or Ballhooter lifts from the merge point.

The other two were off Hiesler Way and split at Mid Whistlepunk down to Powder Monkey / Wiffletree or continue down to Progression Park.  The park had a dozen or so features set up.

Crowds were not too bad and we rarely waited a few minutes in either lift line.   We actually ended up with 16 runs and over 10K vertical for the day.

I know a few others here were at SS this weekend and I'd be curious to hear their thoughts.   Our group was VERY happy to be out on the slopes again and kick off the season.  The rust in my body was very evident as I was beat after such a small number of runs.

I did not take many pics but here is a link to SNOWSHOE'S PICS

We were there, too and I agree it was very well covered, the temps on Saturday got into the 50's there, after all. I noticed that there were 3-4 new large fan-type snow guns installed on Heisler way right below Powder Monkey Lift. People skied well in control for the most part, I guess because you are going to see mostly die-hards out there the weekend after Thxgvg.

Bonzski
November 27, 2017 (edited November 27, 2017)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

I was there Fri- Sun but only went out on Sunday, which was great.  They ran guns Sat eve and groomed fresh courdoroy.  Having Spruce open really help disperse any crowding on Heisler and made for a much better experience compared to last season.  Lift wait was max 3 deep, mostly ski to chair. Weather was perfect 30s all day with sunshine. Guns were blowing throughout the day on several closed trails.

I also noticed the 3 fan guns on Heisler.  Based on how closely they're spaced, and the fact they're different manufactureres, my guess is this is some of the comparitive testing/trials for the future (next season) upgrades they've mentioned in the press recently.

eggraid
November 27, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

I was there Fri- Sun but only went out on Sunday, which was great.  They ran guns Sat eve and groomed fresh courdoroy.  Having Spruce open really help disperse any crowding on Heisler and made for a much better experience compared to last season.  Lift wait was max 3 deep, mostly ski to chair. Weather was perfect 30s all day with sunshine. Guns were blowing throughout the day on several closed trails.

I also noticed the 3 fan guns on Heisler.  Based on how closely they're spaced, and the fact they're different manufactureres, my guess is this is some of the comparitive testing/trials for the future (next season) upgrades they've mentioned in the press recently.

I did notice they were all different manufacturers, I thought it was kind of odd, but it makes sense in that light of testing for future seasons. Friday and Saturday Spruce was a lot of fun in the mornings, then got abused and more crowded with people for whom it was a little above their ability who were probably tired of Heisler.

Bonzski
November 27, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

eggraid wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

I did notice they were all different manufacturers, I thought it was kind of odd, but it makes sense in that light of testing for future seasons. Friday and Saturday Spruce was a lot of fun in the mornings, then got abused and more crowded with people for whom it was a little above their ability who were probably tired of Heisler.

I noticed the same on Spruce on Sunday.  I helped out a father with his hands full getting his 2 toddler kids down the face....he then lost one ski down the hill. All ended well.

rbrtlav
November 27, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I was out Sunday and Monday. Conditions were really nice, coverage was good and no lift lines. Monday morning I got about 10 runs in before leaving and there may have been 20 non employees out there (if that) and spruce was an absolute delight. 

I was on brand new skis and never was worried about anything...many places had well over 3’ of snow. My legs are sore after almost 19k vert to start the season, but overall a great weekend 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,581 posts

One of our own having some fun at Snowshoe - VIDEO

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great video!  Certainly gets me in the mood.  Thanks for sharing.  Think snow and Polar Vortex!

MorganB

wgo
November 29, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts

I'll be busy the next 2 weekends but hoping to get out for the first time in Mid december. It will give the more time to open terrain anyway - come on Polar Vortex!

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?