13 posts
11 users
3k+ views
making up for lost time
October 21, 2017
Member since 09/20/2016 🔗
25 posts

Hi Folks,

As always, thanks for the updates about ski areas, travel, etc. I saw The Colonel post in another thread, and remembered his horrific incident at SS last year, and wanted an update on his status. The mountains will be ready!

As for me, I ran a half-marathon in Pittsburgh in May and hurt my knee. No surgery, but did lots of rehab (think lots of foam rolling and stretching), came back too early and had a set back, but rounding into shape for Thanksgiving (that's right, I'm that places will open on Thanksgiving).

It would be great to have updates, as people prepare. So I suppose one could learn that moderation, stretching and foam rollers are good things from my post.

Cheers

David
October 21, 2017
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I've been putting in lots of time so that I can keep up with Jimmy this season. 

making up for lost time
October 21, 2017
Member since 09/20/2016 🔗
25 posts

Thanks David!

See, I never would have thought to try that ;)

fishnski
October 21, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
David made a funny!... Yeh...since I lost my state of the art skis last winter..and betterhalfski losing hers (Stolen!) which led to her ski accident because she was using her old skis and wasnt used to them and the fact that im using a used pair that I bought up at Hunter Mtn 9 years ago this season due to the fact that I have tons of other projects that need mulla im reading up on my health insurance benifits...making sure Davis Memorial in Elkins is in my network!...will be buying New Snowshoes though..Snow is gonna be DEEP!
jimmy
October 22, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Oh I will be ready not so sure about the "mountain" though.

crgildart
October 23, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Family fleet of skis were are all prepped with universal storage wax end of season.  Need to get the kids' boots dialed in and bindings adjusted if boot shell changes.  Son is right on the edge of moving up one.  Daughter's feet may have stopped growing but am prepared if she needs to go to a bigger boot.  Will wait til mid November to check and adjust if needed.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 23, 2017
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

crgildart wrote:

Family fleet of skis were are all prepped with universal storage wax end of season.  Need to get the kids' boots dialed in and bindings adjusted if boot shell changes.  Son is right on the edge of moving up one.  Daughter's feet may have stopped growing but am prepared if she needs to go to a bigger boot.  Will wait til mid November to check and adjust if needed.

Brings back pleasant memories, thanks.  My fleet now is basically mine and my 16 yr old girls if she decides to ski again this winter, too early to tell.  I might have to start waxing this weekend.

But I don't miss buying or swappnig replacement boots every couple of years.

56fish
October 24, 2017
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

Split waxed & ready to climb.  New deck will be ready when lifts turn.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
October 24, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Very upset that the Navy moved me from the PACNW to New England or I would be skiing right now!!

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Awwwwww!   Could have been Jacksonville

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

oldensign wrote:

Very upset that the Navy moved me from the PACNW to New England or I would be skiing right now!!

Mad River Glen.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_River_Glen 

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2017
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Awwwwww!   Could have been Jacksonville

That's funny, and true.  Nice beach though

I guess I'm ready, new skis which means I have to sell an old set and move the bindings etc.  but I must like that since it's what I've done every other year for eight years... I have dedicated a small corner of my shop to these endeavors but it is a crap show right now

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2017 (edited October 26, 2017)
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

From Denis' Wikipedia link, which is excellent

"While Mad River Glen does not allow snowboarding, it does have a large proportion of telemark skiers"

I love that the one is apparently apropos to the other.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?