Photobucket Terms and Conditions: Images missing...
15 posts
6 users
3k+ views
rbrtlav
July 16, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

So this definetly impacts people on this site. Photobucket changed the terms of service to block sharing from 3rd party sites on free accounts. As a matter of fact the cheapest account allowing it is almost $400 a year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

I skimmed through a few threads and there are definetly images missing... first epic ski and now photobucket.

What are others using to host images? Does google, amazon, or iCloud have something that allows you to share images via third party, those 3 options seem like the least likely to dissapear or change the terms and conditions out of nowhere. Even if photobucket reverts this I will likely be closing my account once I move my photos...

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I use Facebook for some of my pics that I share with family and friends as well as here.  

crgildart
July 17, 2017 (edited July 17, 2017)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I stopped using PB a few years ago when their upload tool stopped playing nice with my main leisure PC.  Sucks what they're doing.  Changing what was allowed for nearly a decade in a ransomware type extortion to get $400 from everyone.  That said, there is really nothing to stop Facebook and Instagram and everyone else from doing the same thing, suddenly changing their policy to demand money from everyone sharing links across other forums.

Not sure what's worse, site collapsing in bankruptcy or site extorting money from people to keep their links active..

Bonzski
July 17, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

I use PB on this and other sites.  My recent pics embedded in the State of Shoe thread seem alive and well.

crgildart
July 19, 2017 (edited July 19, 2017)
767 posts

Bonzski wrote:

I use PB on this and other sites.  My recent pics embedded in the State of Shoe thread seem alive and well.

There is a data limit threshold where they stop allowing the links to be shared. When you pass it ALL your links get blocked, even theones you already had there before you pass the limit.  And, it's lower than the total limit before they start charging you to upload additional things.  I was at 67% of the total allowed when the policy change put me over the limit for sharing links.  I deleted my account today.  Hadn't done anything there in three years anyway using MS OneDrive, FB, and Google for all my other cloud storage and back ups. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 19, 2017 (edited July 19, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

For a number of years I used EpicSki as a free host for hundreds of my high res ski photos including many posted here in the DCSki forums.........that didn't turn out so well when EpicSki went defunct earlier this year:-(  All those photo links broke.

I can still make new posts of some of my photos from there by using photo URLs from the portion of Epicski pages that made it to the wayback machine:  https://web.archive.org/web/20161202223217/Caution-http://www.epicski.com , but it's very tedious to go back and "patch" missing photos to old posts or articles.

For better or worse I was never a user of photobucket.  I've found a couple of other ski-related sites that might serve as photo hosts in the future, but the EpicSki thing taught me a lesson to do a better job backing up and archiving my old photos on a personal hard drive.   I've been grateful for all the years Scott has run DCSki and hosted photos in my articles, but I know the continuation of this site is totally out of the goodness of his heart and not something to take for granted.

camp
September 7, 2017
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I use Facebook for some of my pics that I share with family and friends as well as here.  

Would people who aren't Facebook Friends with you be able to see those? Do you have to share the photos in some special public way in Facebook to make that happen?

September 11, 2017
1,580 posts

camp wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Would people who aren't Facebook Friends with you be able to see those? Do you have to share the photos in some special public way in Facebook to make that happen?

I just open the pic on FB. left click it, then copy paste the image link here.  Here's a drone pic I posted yesterday.

crgildart
September 11, 2017
767 posts

You have to have the album or individual photo set to "public" on facebook for non friends and non facebook people to be able to see it when linked.

I deleted my photobucket account when they changed the terms and conditions..  Now use both Google + and facebook for online photo storage and sharing.

September 11, 2017
1,580 posts

crgildart wrote:

You have to have the album or individual photo set to "public" on facebook for non friends and non facebook people to be able to see it when linked.

I don't think you have to set to public.  I have all my pics and videos set to "friends" only and I am able to share them here.  I just posted this one as "only me" meaning only I can see it.   I'm assuming others can see it here.

crgildart
September 11, 2017
767 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

crgildart wrote:

I don't think you have to set to public.  I have all my pics and videos set to "friends" only and I am able to share them here.  I just posted this one as "only me" meaning only I can see it.   I'm assuming others can see it here.

Wierd and not intuitive since if you share that same friends only photo on facebook people not on your friends list won't see it there.

Bonzski
September 11, 2017
652 posts

crgildart wrote:

Now use both Google + and facebook for online photo storage and sharing.

Can you share from G+ without adding people, etc?

crgildart
September 11, 2017
767 posts

Bonzski wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Can you see this photo from my G+?
Wve0x-5s20ixFRbPN385GmeQXPMQPOrMuIM5N9nJ

Bonzski
September 11, 2017
652 posts

crgildart wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Sure can!  So how do you do it?

crgildart
September 12, 2017
767 posts

Bonzski wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Sure can!  So how do you do it?

Hover cursor over the photo opened up in G+ or Facebook.  Right click and then click "copy image".  Put cursor on DCSki post and paste it (control+V) or right click then click "paste".  Done..

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?