Sunday River to close out my season.
6 posts
4 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2017 (edited March 27, 2017)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

3 of us managed to get 2 days in this weekend at Sunday River.  We were on the fence as the weather forecast was so - so early on.  We arrived at 4 PM on Thu, walked into a rental agency and grabbed a 2 BR slopeside condo.  I'd say 75% of their skiable terrain was open.  Several of their natural ski areas were closed.

The weather gods blessed us with a chilly day on Fri in the mid 20's then rewarded us with about 3 - 4 inches of fresh snow Friday evening.  Friday was empty and we skied up to every lift.  We skied from about 9 - 3 and it started snowing right about 3 PM.

Sat was a lot more crowded but nothing like we are used to at Snowshoe.  I don't think we ever waited more than 5 mins for a lift.  We skied from about 8 - 2.

The place reminded me of a smaller version of Breckenridge.   Several peaks scattered across a mountain range with lifts servring every peak.

Great experience for my first time in Maine.  I'll definitely return again.

Pics below

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 30, 2017 (edited March 30, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Good spring to go north.  I was there a few years ago.  Big time operation.  I think they get a lot of Bostonians in regular season, but also some Canadians in spring heading "south" to milder climes:-)

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great mountain(s).  I once got stuck on a chair there with a well below zero wind chill! Brr!!!

MorganB

fishnski
April 1, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Me n the misses went north early a few years back to get some Tgiving skiing in...started in New hampshire at Wildcat then moved over to Sunday river and got  a dirt cheap room at the Jordan..Still there?....Matthew Perry was in the lobby...cool....Had my West Va camos on..door boy chuckled and wished me happy hunting...Mudda...
All good...views of mt Washington from both areas were awesome...Wildcat views of the big boy were crazy for someone like us that have stayed south to that point....
Sunday River was stretched out and had a lot of variety with modern lifts...loads of fun!....The Roaring Plains of WV remind me of Sunday R....stretched out with loads of drop downs....one dream was to do such that with the highest plateau east of the Rockies.....oh well....head North young man!

fishnski
April 1, 2017
3,530 posts

Today at the River.....
"you don't usually think of margaritas and powder days as a common pair but it turns out they are a perfect match! Today, we have plenty of both with over a foot of snow and Spring Festival action in full swing on White Cap.

Today will surely go down as one for the books. As of 2PM it is still dumping...absolutely dumping. There are more than enough refills on the trails and in the woods with plenty refills of the liquid variety for the Margarita Mixoff. Snow is forecast to continue throughout the day so don't worry about extending that mid-day margarita break, there will be leftovers for days.

Enjoy the fun!

fishnski
April 1, 2017
3,530 posts

Oh..Btw...awesome post blue don....great pics!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.