Whistler Blackcomb
5 posts
3 users
2k+ views
jimw
February 27, 2017 (edited February 28, 2017)
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Just returned from a 4 day trip.  It’s been 10 years since I've been (been 6).  We had a great time for not having any fresh snow.  The conditions were great up top and most everywhere.  Airfare and lift tickets were reasonable.  Lodging was a little pricey.  The demand must be there because it was crowded even midweek.   I really enjoyed our trip but next time I go to British Columbia I may try to go to smaller interior resorts.(less touristy)  Vail just purchased Whistler last October.

We rode Blackcomb two days and Whistler two days.  Blackcomb Glacier and Seventh Heaven were fun at Blackcomb.  My favorite was Symphony Express and the Peak Express lifts/runs at Whistler.  Some of the blues are as steep as Lower Shays so that should tell you how steep the blacks are.  

Both gondolas made you remove your goggles as you went through the lift.  They take your picture or video as your pass is scanned.  I thought this was a little weird.  Does anyone know why they do this?   The attendant didn't really have an answer.

Reisen
February 27, 2017
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

The goggle thing is to check your picture against your pass, to make sure you're not using someone else's. Really annoying... I gave them attitude about it when I was there in December. 

Will pist more thoughts on Whistler later, but I just landed in SLC. Snowbird got 9" last night, with 17-23" forecast for today, and 1-3" tonight. Canyon road closed until 4pm for Abby control. Stuck in meetings until Friday, but getting excited!

jimw
February 28, 2017
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

You're probably right about the goggles but my pass didn't have my picture on it.  Have fun at Snowbird

mook21
February 28, 2017
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

I was at Whistler Presidents Day weekend, same situation having not been there in 10 years. Was on the snow Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Saturday was crusty and crazy crowded, over 1 hr for gondolas, so we rode up the chair at the base no problems. Ov sat and cloudy. This was my 13 year old son's first big mountain experience (we do go to Smuggs in Vermont annually, but no comparison), so wanted some fresh snow and sunshine. Got it on Sunday... snowed all day and most of the night for 8"-12" of light, fresh powder. Hit the Whistler bowls and made fresh tracks on several runs. Next day hit Blackcomb and rode all over Crystal lift area in the trees and finished with runs in 7th Heaven. Sunny and clear both days with highs in the 20's and 30's. Made up for the crappy year we have had here. If you want to try some other BC resorts, fly into Calgary and drive over to Revelstoke or one of my favorites, Kicking Horse.

jimw
March 2, 2017
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Nice, glad you had some fresh snow.  I was thinking about flying into Calgary next time and trying some of those resorts.  My brother flew into Spokane and drove up to Fernie and Kimberly a few weeks ago.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?