Saturday advice
15 posts
12 users
2k+ views
mook21
February 2, 2017
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

have family coming up from NC and has talked up Timberline and hitting the trees, but I am simply giving up on them because they can't even get a decent number of in bounds trails open. Sad, but there is another post discussing that situation...

It will be me, my 13 year old son who is very good and loves Cherry Bowl at T-line and another good mid 50's skier. I don't want her to experience the crazy lines of Whitetail on a full day Saturday... I also don't want to drive over half way back to her place in NC for Snowshoe... with that, and looking at open terrain to stay within 2 hrs of Winchester, I am considering Wintergreen, Canaan Resort or ... don't know where else... I have never been to either of these and want some beta on how crowded they are on Saturdays (in relation to Whitetail or Snowshoe). Any recommendations??

David
February 2, 2017
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Zero lift lines and cheap skiing at Whitegrass. Great food too! 

Bonzski
February 2, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Fact is everywhere will be crowded this weekend. There's pent up demand and still only about 70% terrain open in the region.  If you plan staying overnight, better start making calls asap.  I know this weekend at Snowshoe has been sold out for days.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

So is Canaan Valley Lodge !

tcichecki
February 3, 2017 (edited February 3, 2017)
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

I've been calling around in Canaan area and everything is sold out. I just was able to book the last room at the Alpine Lodge motel -smoking unfortunately.

Folks at Timberline suggested the bunkhouse at $20/person but warned the beds are filled with several dozen boy scouts for the weekend.

It snows and everyone heads to the valley!

The19thHole
February 3, 2017 (edited February 3, 2017)
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

Bryce. Never any lines, even on a Saturday, so you can just do laps all day. Good trails given the vertical they have to work with.

Wintergreen is good, but will be packed on Saturday, pretty much like Whitetail.

mdr227
February 3, 2017
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

How is Wisp on a weekend (specifically Sunday)?    Wintergreen, Showshoe, Liberty and Whitetail are all completely packed on weekends as I assume Massanutten would be too.

teleman
February 3, 2017
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Canaan Valley Resort will have the whole mountain open.

Canaan Valley, Bryce and Massanutten (DJ and Paradice off of Lift 6) are generally the least crowded places to ski in this area.

Superbowl weekend generally has lighter crowds; particularly Sunday.  However, with 36" in the last 10 days I expect Sat. will be a big day at Whitegrass, Canaan and Timberline.

Otto
February 3, 2017
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts

I have been working at Liberty every weekend this year.  The backside has not had appreciable lift lines all year.  There have been days when the frontside was bad, but if you can endure one line and the ride to the top, you are home free once you get there.

yellowsnow
February 4, 2017
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Everything is NOT sold out at Canaan Valley.  Try the rental agencies like Best of Canaan, Mountaintop, etc.

Try VRBO, HomeAway, etc.

yellowsnow
February 4, 2017
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

....and if you want to see the difference in crowds, just take a look at the Timberline versus Canaan State Park webcams this morning....

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 5, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

mook21 wrote:

have family coming up from NC and has talked up Timberline and hitting the trees, but I am simply giving up on them because they can't even get a decent number of in bounds trails open. Sad, but there is another post discussing that situation...

It will be me, my 13 year old son who is very good and loves Cherry Bowl at T-line and another good mid 50's skier. I don't want her to experience the crazy lines of Whitetail on a full day Saturday... I also don't want to drive over half way back to her place in NC for Snowshoe... with that, and looking at open terrain to stay within 2 hrs of Winchester, I am considering Wintergreen, Canaan Resort or ... don't know where else... I have never been to either of these and want some beta on how crowded they are on Saturdays (in relation to Whitetail or Snowshoe). Any recommendations??

Guess you haven't noticed my posts about Massanutten.  Closer to Winchester than Wintergreen.  A much easier drive since it's mostly straight south on I-81.

While Wintergreen has good terrain, it's way too crowded on a weekend.  For those who can ski off Lift 6 at the top of Mnut, there is never a lift line.  Plus all trails are lit so one way to avoid weekend crowds for beginners or low intermediates is to ski after 3:00.  Or even go for the night session, which starts at 4:00.

Mnut has 1100 ft. vertical, with 825 or so off Lift 6 alone.  Lift 5 (triple) has a mid-station so very good for multi-ability groups.  Better skiers can ride to the top and easily meet up with those who get off at mid-station.

Anyone going to take lessons?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 5, 2017 (edited February 5, 2017)
3,246 posts

mook21 wrote:

Guess you haven't noticed my posts about Massanutten.  Closer to Winchester than Wintergreen.  A much easier drive since it's mostly straight south on I-81.  I drive 4 hours from Raleigh and have many reasons that I drive past Wintergreen.

While Wintergreen has good terrain, it's way too crowded on a weekend.  For those who can ski off Lift 6 at the top of Mnut, there is never a lift line.  Plus all trails are lit so one way to avoid weekend crowds for beginners or low intermediates is to ski after 3:00.  Or even go for the night session, which starts at 4:00.

Mnut has 1100 ft. vertical, with 825 or so off Lift 6 alone.  Lift 5 (triple) has a mid-station so very good for multi-ability groups.  Better skiers can ride to the top and easily meet up with those who get off at mid-station.

Anyone going to take lessons?

wgo
February 6, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Massanutten was good this Sunday - best conditions of the season. It's been a weird year. Showtime, Pacesetter, DJ, and Paradice all opened up pretty early this season, but they have been stuck on those 4 for blue/black terrain since then. Obviously the January thaw was tough on everyone, but it really seems to have short-circuited Massanutten's ability to open more trails. During the latest stretch of snowmaking weather there was no attempt to make snow on Mass Transit, Yee-Ha, or Mak Attack. The focus appears to be on building up base on existing trails, probably as a guard against future stretches of warm weather.

Anyway, the skiing was fun this weekend and the BBQ at the new place on-site was the real deal. Hopefully we will be able to ski additional trails at MNut before the end of the season.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2017
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Massanutten was good this Sunday - best conditions of the season. It's been a weird year. Showtime, Pacesetter, DJ, and Paradice all opened up pretty early this season, but they have been stuck on those 4 for blue/black terrain since then. Obviously the January thaw was tough on everyone, but it really seems to have short-circuited Massanutten's ability to open more trails. During the latest stretch of snowmaking weather there was no attempt to make snow on Mass Transit, Yee-Ha, or Mak Attack. The focus appears to be on building up base on existing trails, probably as a guard against future stretches of warm weather.

Anyway, the skiing was fun this weekend and the BBQ at the new place on-site was the real deal. Hopefully we will be able to ski additional trails at MNut before the end of the season.

Not opening Mass Transit and Yee-Ha is pretty typical for Mnut when the weather is not cooperating.  Same for Mak Attack.  Consdier how many of the usual Mnut skier/boarders ever use those trails. ;-)

There have been seasons when Paradise barely opened.  Or the average depth hovered around 12 inches the entire season.  I can tell that the new automated snowmaking capability has made a big difference the last few seasons.  It was pretty amazing that Mnut only closed one day during the long Jan thaw.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?