Which Areas Will Recover Fastest from New Year's R@!n?
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Colder temps are expected to return the night of Wdnesday, January 4.  Which areas will have the quickest recovery for skiing on Friday, January 6?  

My guess is that 7S, Wisp and Snowshoe should be the best by the morning of Jan. 6.  They seem to be able to lay down the snow quickly and shouldn't suffer as much loss at the Shenandoah Valley ski areas.  What do you think?

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Can't argue with that thinking.  Hoping Whitetail gets to blow a fair amount of snow before Friday given that Jan. 6 is Demo Day.

Massanutten and Wintergreen can blow a lot of snow in a short period of time these days after adding/upgrading a lot of snowguns in the last several years.  I expect Mnut to be in pretty good shape by Sat, which is also a demo day.  Snowmaking temps in the 20s predicted for Wed and Thu nights.  Having automated snowguns means a much faster start once the temp/humidity is right.

What I've observed is that there are times when it rains in the valley around Mnut, but really doesn't rain much at all on the mountain.  The way Mnut sticks up at the end of that mountain chain seems to create a micro-climate where sometimes the clouds stay in the valley below the peak.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'm hoping Snowshoe does it's magic Wed and Thur.  I need to ski off a lot of Christmas calories Friday and Saturday.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?