Canaan Valley Report
14 posts
9 users
4k+ views
TomH
December 8, 2016
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

It would be great if CV would post a report tomorrow regarding which slopes they expect to be open on Saturday.  People are making decisions regarding if they make the drive.  In particular, it would be nice to know if Timbers and/or the main trail under the Weiss Lift is going to be open.  Maybe I'm missing as I heard rumors Timbers will be open but an update sometime Friday on the report page would be very appreciated.  Of course, we already appreciate the fact that you are opening this weekend as promised.  Must be alot colder at that end of the valley ;)

SCWVA
December 8, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

I just got an email from CVR.

Ski Season is Here!

Join us this Saturday, December 10 for Opening Day of the 2016-17 ski season.

We've doubled our snow making this season. We'll be open with 7 trails including Timber, our 1 1/4 mile run from the top of the mountain. In honor of our 45th season, we're offering two day lift tickets for $45 this weekend! Chaga Tea Project will provide live entertainment at Quenchers Pub at 3PM.

The skiing might be good, but my guess is that the apres ski party at Quenchers Pub will be lots of fun.

crgildart
December 8, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

A two day ticked and a room Saturday night at the lodge would be a really fun way to spend the weekend. I'm out already booked in to another gig Sunday afternoon.  But, if I lived closer and wasn't busy Sunday I'd be seriously considering that plan for the weekend.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2016 (edited December 8, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Is that DCSki's Chaga who is throwing a Tea Party?!!

MorganB

December 8, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks Canaan for the snow making upgrades and management's willingness to put them to good use!  What competition further north in the valley?!!$ You get my vote and loyality when I'm in CV!

MorganB

chaga
December 9, 2016 (edited December 9, 2016)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

SCWVA wrote:

I just got an email from CVR.

Ski Season is Here!

Join us this Saturday, December 10 for Opening Day of the 2016-17 ski season.

We've doubled our snow making this season. We'll be open with 7 trails including Timber, our 1 1/4 mile run from the top of the mountain. In honor of our 45th season, we're offering two day lift tickets for $45 this weekend! Chaga Tea Project will provide live entertainment at Quenchers Pub at 3PM.

The skiing might be good, but my guess is that the apres ski party at Quenchers Pub will be lots of fun.

I think the snow will be great packed powder based on temps staying cold.   Besided Timber Run to the top, and the beginner area on the right, the main drag down the face will be open to mid station I suspect since it's got tons of snow on it and making more and was skiable a week and a half ago.  Its 15 degrees F with a few inches of fluffy lake-flake falling as we speak!  

TomH
December 9, 2016
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Nice little article on CV opening weekend!

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/12/08/early-start-to-ski-season-a-welcome-change-for-canaan-valley-resort/

Canaan Valley Resort
December 9, 2016
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

A few things to report:

First, kudos to our Mike Chaney and his staff. They have been working around the clock to keep our snowmaking equipment producing at capacity. Between their efforts, our new equipment and that beautiful blast of cold air, we are looking at a great opening weekend and start to the season.

Second, we we will be open to the top of the mountain with access to the 1¼-mile Timber Trail as well as intermediate trail Valley Vista and advanced trail Face which are open from mid station.  Open green trails include Lower Timber Run, Sissy Schuss, Bunny Buster, Cutback and the teaching area Critters Crawl.  We will be operating the A and B lifts to service these areas. The magic carpet in Critters Crawl will also be running. 

Third, we are already making snow and building up the base on Gravity ”“ our most advanced run ”“ and are shooting to have it open December 17. Get ready to “Defy Gravity.”

More to come.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Canaan Valley Resort wrote:

A few things to report:

First, kudos to our Mike Chaney and his staff. They have been working around the clock to keep our snowmaking equipment producing at capacity. Between their efforts, our new equipment and that beautiful blast of cold air, we are looking at a great opening weekend and start to the season.

Second, we we will be open to the top of the mountain with access to the 1¼-mile Timber Trail as well as intermediate trail Valley Vista and advanced trail Face which are open from mid station.  Open green trails include Lower Timber Run, Sissy Schuss, Bunny Buster, Cutback and the teaching area Critters Crawl.  We will be operating the A and B lifts to service these areas. The magic carpet in Critters Crawl will also be running. 

Third, we are already making snow and building up the base on Gravity ”“ our most advanced run ”“ and are shooting to have it open December 17. Get ready to “Defy Gravity.”

More to come.

Wow.

Hats off to Mountain Ops at Canaan Valley.  They really came through with the upgraded snowmaking capacity: Timber Trail on opening day, and snowmaking beginning on Gravity.  A far cry from previous years.  Go get em, CV!  Looking forward to getting out there.  

See you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

Woody

TomH
December 12, 2016 (edited December 12, 2016)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

On Sunday afternoon they opened the top portion of Valley Vista so they have top to bottom on that main run under the lift.  Kudos to CV for opening.  It shows they respect their season pass holder that give them money in the spring and summer.  It also gave their employees a chance to hone the operation of the resort before the big Xmas holiday.  Their instructors were busy clinicing away all weekend.  Snow surface was very nice as well.  Good job CV.

teleman
December 12, 2016
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Gravity will likely be open next weekend.  Looking forward to a great season at Canaan.  Hi Fred!

skijw
December 12, 2016
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
40 posts

Will definitely visit Canaan Valley Resort for at least a couple days this year.

Canaan Valley Resort
December 26, 2016
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

It looks like snow is coming our way in the next couple of days, which is good news for anyone thinking about a last-minute pre-New Year’s Eve skiing fix. And if your schoolkids are bouncing off the walls at your house, we have you covered.  We’ve set up family games, crafts, scavenger hunts and more between now and New Year’s Eve. There are a few last-minute lodge rooms available too. The terrain park and Gravity advanced ski run are open, and skiers have already set out to #DefyGravity. Plus the holiday night skiing starts tonight, and the tubing park and ice skating rink are open for business. If you’re hoping to get in some runs before the end of the year, come on out and have some fun with us at Canaan Valley Resort.

December 26, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Canaan Valley Resort and their ski area have made many improvements over the last couple of years.  We DCSkiers need to show our appreciation by using and enjoying the improvements from the slopes to the lodging!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.