Yodel away.
Home
Timberline needs new management immediately!
59 posts from 24 users
Updated 8 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
one month ago

Pushed start date out again cause had a couple days of rain. Next 10 days show good snowmaking weather with some natural snow as well. I am so sick of the halfass effort that they put into a place that so many people love and call their 2nd home. Rant over but i am extremely pissed. Between moto-x races and snowmobile races that draw 10’s of people this is getting old.

one month ago

It is interesting that a resort with one of the, if not the highest elevation, arguably the most natural snowfall and among the lowest average temperatures has one of the shortest seasons in the mid atlantic.

one month ago

It really is a complete and utter joke. I feel bad for their employee that supports their Facebook feed. For them to not be able to open shows absolute zero effort on part of the entire management team.

one month ago

Ah but they do have new management.  They just appointed a retired Army Colonel as their COO and CFO!

(To be fair, based on his bio, this fellow sounds like he was the real deal in the military.  However he has ZERO ski industry experience and one must admit that the Pentagon is not exactly known for the efficiency of its bureaucracy.)

one month ago

Once again the loyal followers of Tline get the shaft. At least Canaan will be opening. Having zero ski industry experience puts him in good company :)

one month ago

TomH wrote:

It is interesting that a resort with one of the, if not the highest elevation, arguably the most natural snowfall and among the lowest average temperatures has one of the shortest seasons in the mid atlantic.

I’d replace “interesting” with “a ____ shame”.   

one month ago

They used to be open about 16/17 weekends a season and now it is 13 weekends this season (assuming they close on 3/19). 

But, this allows more time for lift maintenance so they can apply extra grease (tslime) to the haul rope grips.   

one month ago

Any update on T-Line PowerGate?  Paying utilities and reparing dangerous lifts is way ahead of opening first in area/region when it comes to my list of what’s most improtant.

one month ago
Yes paying power bills that they are collecting from homeowners is important and I would think a simple normal responsibility as it is for me to pay. Making sure lifts are safe for skiers….again, should this be some special action of theirs? You own and wish to manage a ski resort. If you can’t handle basic responsibilities then for God’s sake please sale!
one month ago

TomH wrote:

Sugar and Beech in NC are both up about 5,400 feet up.  Definitely a contender for the other two variables though..

one month ago

Th y are just now having their job fair. No wonder they can’t open, they don’t have a staff yet. Good job Fred!

one month ago

Was up at Northface today replacing a router, decided to break out the cross country gear and have a ski up Salamander since all the snow guns were firing. Skiied to the top and took a run down- pretty good coverage all the way, especially if they push out the snow piles theyve made. Nice to get my first run in this season. Based on what I saw they aren’t that far from having some terrain open. Truck said it was 13 degrees at the base on the way home. Lots of snow guns firing as I headed for the flatlands.

one month ago

AndyGene wrote:

Th y are just now having their job fair. No wonder they can’t open, they don’t have a staff yet. Good job Fred!

Probably not a good idea to hire employees unless you’re really really sure you can pay them!   What a circus… and a shame…

one month ago

RodneyBD wrote:

AndyGene wrote:

Probably not a good idea to hire employees unless you’re really really sure you can pay them!   What a circus… and a shame…

And paying them is extremely contingent on the weather.  If you hire 50 seasonal part timers but tell them to just wait until the resort has enough cold weather to blow snow and open how many do you think will still be available 6 weeks later?  They can’t really nail anyone down committed until there is actually work to be done and pay to be paid. 

one month ago

3skiwv wrote:

Pushed start date out again cause had a couple days of rain. Next 10 days show good snowmaking weather with some natural snow as well. I am so sick of the halfass effort that they put into a place that so many people love and call their 2nd home. Rant over but i am extremely pissed. Between moto-x races and snowmobile races that draw 10’s of people this is getting old.

Ask and you shall receive. Now anyone can be apart of Tline management. 

Per their Facebook:

“We have an immediate job opening for an executive assistant to the CEO at Timberline. We are deeply thankful for the years we have had the amazing Kathy Dotson in this job (just wanted to put that out there…)

So. Monitoring social media and answering client questions on same is a part of of the position, and the willingness to monitor. (Answering questions on social media does not require expert knowledge of skiing, just knowing who to ask, and the ability to write.) The position also involves writing reports, interfacing remotely with all departments, the media and also the government. Facile with software. A liberal arts degree and an organized mind with an interest in business and finance is a great qualification. This position can be done remotely with occasional sight visits, or it can be filled by a candidate who lives nearby. It is a great opportunity for the right candidate to learn a tremendous amount about management and business and practice that knowledge, with the flexibility to pursue creative projects too. The ability to grow with the company, too. Please help us spread the word! And send us a link to your resume on LinkedIn if you are interested in applying and/or make an appointment to talk.”

one month ago

they clearly need help …

“… occasional sight visits, or it can be …”

eeesh!

one month ago

Unfortunately this position is unlikely to help with the management problems cited by DCSkiers in previous posts.

one month ago

But other local resorts don’t seem to have this issue.  I understand the TL issues…who wants to work in a building that smells like a fraternity house???

And paying them is extremely contingent on the weather.  If you hire 50 seasonal part timers but tell them to just wait until the resort has enough cold weather to blow snow and open how many do you think will still be available 6 weeks later?  They can’t really nail anyone down committed until there is actually work to be done and pay to be paid.

one month ago

There was a time when all lodges smelled like frat houses. I don’t mind, I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

https://youtu.be/sHQ_aTjXObs

one month ago

pagamony wrote:

I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

I could not resist        2 outta 3 ain’t bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

one month ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

pagamony wrote:

I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

I could not resist        2 outta 3 ain’t bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

That was a softball.  I knew someone would say that.  Now which two do you want for paradice?

https://youtu.be/C11MzbEcHlw

one month ago

Im sitting here trying to figure out what kind of personality likes Meatloaf…..

one month ago

I can see him falling out on Salamander….dont hate!

one month ago

As long as they have their spit together by Feb 23rd I have no complaints!  We’ll be staying a couple hundred feet off Winterset that weekend.

one month ago

It may be because good help is hard to find (everyone’s making much better money drilling for gas, cutting pipelines, mining coal, or selling dope) or it may be terrible planning on Timberline’s part. Either way I think it’s becoming more and more obvious why Timberline is 1 month behind Snowshoe, 2 weeks behind CVR, 1 week behind 7 Springs, >1 week behind Hidden Valley, 1 week behind Wisp, 1 week behind Snowtime resorts, 1 week behind Wintergreen, and 1 week behind Massanutten. (and it’s not bad weather)

From their Facebook today: “It takes strength, stamina, discipline, and grit to be a Timberline Four Seasons Resort snowmaker. Do you have what it takes? Accept the challenge today! Apply today in person or call 304-866-4801 to inquire about joining Timberline’s renowned snowmaking team.” 

one month ago

^^^Women need not apply? 

one month ago

Really disappointing again with Timberline.   Have always loved the terrain there, but lately haven’t wanted to go there as often as in the past due to the poor management and operation of it (not to mention the lack of investment).   Hard to believe they are the last resort to open in the whole mid-atlantic area by a week at minimum.    Liberty and Whitetail will beat it by a week and even Bryce beat it by two weeks.   Really sad considering what a good cold spell we’ve had lately to allow them to make snow.   I know they are struggling to get employees and funding for so many things, but as many have said on this forum it could be such a great ski resort if the proper investment was made.   Not just an upgrade to the lodge (to me the lodge facilities are the least of my worries), but investments into employing staff, upgrading the lifts, enhancing the snow making and potentially adding new trails (though likely there is limited space for that).   They could run from early December until late March like they used to.   I would hate to be a home owner at Timberline having barely a two, maybe three month rental season when you could easily have up to a four month rental season in the Winter.   If they put in a high speed quad (or better yet a six pack or two high speed quads) it would make such a difference in the skier experience and draw more people there which would then give them more revenue to make more investments, etc..  

one month ago

Hard to argue with most of that mdr227. Some of us homeowners and locals do have the view that a high speed quad would be a bad idea without more terrain. Would drop too many people onto the hill for the capacity of the trails 80% of the customers ski.  Ever skied the Highlands at Wintergreen on a busy weekend day?  There is no room to ski.  This debate has been hashed out here many times.  Just sayin’ there’s two points of view on that.  Obviously Tline needs new lifts; but you can debate what sort of lifts.  

I would love to know from locals whether Tline is having difficulty recruiting employees this season.  The poster ad for snowmaking staff on FB was certainly unusual.

one month ago

Wow … I don’t follow Facebook but are you serious that they had that post? As cirgldart   what no women?  crazy, guarentee the women in the valley can step up, ought to be encouraged as part of any team.

I shan’t pile on though, T’line in proximity with CVR and WG makes the best experience in the midatlantic….we just need some damn weather  I think

29 days ago

They seem to have upgraded their webcam. http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowcam.php  ….. but 2 of the 4 preset camera angles point at the side of the building.  Good Grief!

29 days ago

At least it is outside the building…

28 days ago

Timberline, Our Motto:  “Anything worth doing…..is worth doing half-assed”

28 days ago

that cam is hilarious.  mesmerizing almost.  on the plus side when it does show a partial slope view the snow looks good !

timberline is like a happy addiction.  i laugh at it but then i go there again.  

Kemper - when do you want to drive up ?

28 days ago

pagamony wrote:

that cam is hilarious.  mesmerizing almost.  on the plus side when it does show a partial slope view the snow looks good !

Gunna be interesting how much they can load the lifts this year and how crowded the lift lines will be prime time on Saturdays/Sundays. Midweek should be fine, as always.

Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting…

Plus, is Timberline now the only alpine ski area in the Mid-Atlantic not open? Oglebay is now open: http://ski.oglebay-resort.com/index.html

28 days ago

JohnL wrote:

pagamony wrote:

Gunna be interesting how much they can load the lifts this year and how crowded the lift lines will be prime time on Saturdays/Sundays. Midweek should be fine, as always.

Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting…

Plus, is Timberline now the only alpine ski area in the Mid-Atlantic not open? Oglebay is now open: http://ski.oglebay-resort.com/index.html

Looks like it will be a photo finish between Timberline and the one run at Ski Sapphire Valley!  YIKES!!

http://www.skisapphirevalley.com/home.html

28 days ago

The Homestead VA has also posted a December 23 opening on its website.

Woody

27 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

They seem to have upgraded their webcam. http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowcam.php  ….. but 2 of the 4 preset camera angles point at the side of the building.  Good Grief!

Shoot, it’s down already, I couldn’t get it to load this AM

27 days ago

“Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting…”

If this is true all holy hell will breakout on the mountain.

27 days ago

Timberline - please cut off those stupid seat dividers on the restraining bars on the queen.  remove the damn restraining bars if you have to.   Then no one will notice it’s not a double and we will be much more comfortable and happy and then visit more often and spend more money in the pub.  

27 days ago

3skiwv wrote:

“Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting…”

If this is true all holy hell will breakout on the mountain.

I’ve never seen what I’d call a line at t-line except right outside the lodge at 1PM on a Saturday.  However, next time we go we will be renting from Timberline Reality so WOOT WOOT!  You can cut and ride up with us if there’s a long line

27 days ago

webcam looks good now.  snow looks great.  groomer belching black smoke.  all’s good.  

27 days ago

pagamony wrote:

as soon as there is 12 in. in 24hrs and I can connect to Whitegrass —- to quote Daffy Duck “this season is desthphicable!”

26 days ago

I skied the “highest average” open vertical in Canaan Valley yesterday….Kudos to Canaan Valley Resort for some great early season snowmaking. Must be some strange weather anomaly that has allowed them to make more snow than other resorts in the Valley in order to open 2 weeks earlier. 

26 days ago

The valley is known for it’s microclimate.  I will be spending more time at CV this season as it is colder over there with better snow.    

David wrote:

I skied the “highest average” open vertical in Canaan Valley yesterday….Kudos to Canaan Valley Resort for some great early season snowmaking. Must be some strange weather anomaly that has allowed them to make more snow than other resorts in the Valley in order to open 2 weeks earlier.

25 days ago

And just like that, Timberline is the last resort in America to open. 

25 days ago

Wow, only two runs from the top of the mountain, no intermediate trails even from the midstation on down.   I really feel for all of those homeowners around Timberline as well as the people that had made vacation plans there for this holiday weekend and week ahead.    I know there hasn’t been much natural snow, but there has been plenty of cold weather to make snow to have at least one more trail from the top open on the West side of the mountain.   

25 days ago

It won’t be any better around here this weekend.  I skied yesterday and it wasn’t looking good, two main trails with thin spots, even a couple bare spots in high traffic areas.  More warm and rain to follow.  I wouldn’t blame the resorts for the “climate”.

Add in they didn’t seem to have enough capital to pay thier utilities on time after repairing the lift.  Doubt they had a lot of money to throw at snowmaking and pre season staffing to man the guns.  It is clear that they did try to hire folks, I mean “real  men” last week though..

25 days ago

It’s a tie, at least as far as our area goes.  The Homestead VA also opened today (Friday, December 23) with 3 of 9 runs available.

Woody

25 days ago

Cloudmont, Alabama, has apparently not yet opened for the season.  

Woody

25 days ago

yellowsnow wrote:

Timberline, Our Motto:  “Anything worth doing…..is worth doing half-assed”

Best thing I’ve read on the internet in months.

10 days ago

How in the hell do they only have 2 top to bottom runs open this far into the season?

10 days ago

AndyGene wrote:

How in the hell do they only have 2 top to bottom runs open this far into the season?

Snowmobile races aren’t until March.  They have plenty of time to build up more coverage..

Seriously though, this week should deliver ideal conditions to blast away.  If they don’t have things rocking by MLK Weekend that could be pretty dissapointing and I’ll start to worry.  Places out here are just now getting going/recovering from the warm and rain we had the past 3 weeks..

9 days ago

crgildart wrote:

AndyGene wrote:

Snowmobile races aren’t until March.  They have plenty of time to build up more coverage..

Seriously though, this week should deliver ideal conditions to blast away.  If they don’t have things rocking by MLK Weekend that could be pretty dissapointing and I’ll start to worry.  Places out here are just now getting going/recovering from the warm and rain we had the past 3 weeks..

If you aren’t worried now…

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.)

Whitetail is nearly 100 percent open. I hope TLine can somehow open OTW with only a couple days of blowing.

Since this is a football Sunday, you are what your record says you are. Timberline’s record is on their conditions page.

9 days ago

Good snow today. Natural and machine made powder, not deep but soft. The terrain that is open skis big. Very few skiers. Brutally cold.

9 days ago

JohnL wrote:

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.

I have had some great, great days at timberline. But when it came time for me to book a trip in advance for the family, I went with Snowshoe this year. I just wasn’t willing to role the dice on having large stretches of winter weather. I’ll reserve the TL trips for last minute decisions when the conditions are good. 

9 days ago

wgo wrote:

JohnL wrote:

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.

I have had some great, great days at timberline. But when it came time for me to book a trip in advance for the family, I went with Snowshoe this year. I just wasn’t willing to role the dice on having large stretches of winter weather. I’ll reserve the TL trips for last minute decisions when the conditions are good. 

That is a wise move. And even when conditions are good, I don’t think the lifts can handle the needed uphill capacity. The Silver Queen can’t run at full capacity anymore.

‘They are running the place into the ground.

9 days ago

It is such as a shame as Timberline is so accessible to the DC area now with Corridor H completed to Davis and has such great natural terrain, great natural snowfall (though needs to be supplemented by snowmaking) and has great lodging options both slodeside and very close that are all very affordable for families and groups.   If the right owners could come in it could be such a great ski resort, but as it is now it is just sad seeing how it continues to go downhill.   As one poster said having just two top to bottom runs open and just over 1/3 of the terrain open at this point in the Winter with some strong cold spells already is unbelievable.  

8 days ago

Times are so bad Tline is posting powder pics from last year on their Instagram…

8 days ago

Hi…been absent from this forum awhile.  Definitley my loss.  Sorry to hear TL is struggling, but then thats just a continuation of an old theme.  Lifts were done years ago.

Ad: Wintergreen Resort

Snow reason not to share.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.22 seconds