Connie Lawn, DCSki Member, Correspondent and Frequent Contributor
12 posts
10 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 12, 2016 (edited October 12, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Hopefully many DCSkiers read the wonderful article about our own Connie Lawn in today's (Oct.12) Washington Post Style Section.

Connie and Charles have long been local skiers, and in recent years she wrote many articles about skiing at Ski Liberty and the Wounded Warrior skiing programs at many of the local resorts.  Connie has not been able to ski in recent times due to her fight with Parkinson's (check out her article from last February about riding in a biski with the adaptive ski program instructors at Liberty), and she is now receiving Hospice care at her home on Lake Barcroft in Fairfax, VA.  It is at this place that she has held several open "come swim and enjoy" parties for local DCSkiers. Connie, hopefully you have inspired many DCSkiers to continue advocating for your passion, the Wounded Warriors program.

I first met Connie through her delightful DCSki posts and articles, and had the privilege of actually sharing food, drink and chat with her and Charles at a small spontaneous gathering of about a dozen DCSkiers at an Arlington Restaurant several years ago.  What a lady!!!  She has enjoyed a career in journalism (print, radio and TV) for a half century.  She is a member of the Senior White House Press Corps.  But most importantly, she is one of us...a skier and DCSki member.  She recently wrote a book about her life: "You Wake Me Each Morning: The Final Chapter."

Connie, speaking for my fellow DCSkiers, we wish you the best, keep fighting, and no matter your other accomplishments, you will always be one of us at DCSki.

Hopefully Scott will add a few words and perhaps figure out a way to publish the Post article about Connie in DCSki.

Morgan Birge

aka MorganB and The Colonel

Scott - DCSki Editor
October 12, 2016 (edited October 12, 2016)
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Connie is a fighter and a force to be reckoned with.  She has brought so much awareness to topics such as adaptive skiing and Wounded Warrior programs, and her passion for skiing has come through in every story she's written.  Although she can't ski as often as she once did, I fully expect to see additional stories from her landing in my inbox this winter.  She's a powerful voice for the causes she believes in and has a unique way of capturing and telling the stories of the many people she interviews.

fishnski
October 12, 2016
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Connie Lawn..ur the best..always upbeat down to earth special reports ...we lived thru you and now we live with you still with hope and prayer...keep on gettin it Connie..we love you here at Dcski!!!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2016
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

I can't find a link to the article.  Would you please have it?  I'd love to read it.  By the way, we may have our first snow in New England this coming week.....

Scott - DCSki Editor
October 13, 2016
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

lbotta wrote:

I can't find a link to the article.  Would you please have it?  I'd love to read it.  By the way, we may have our first snow in New England this coming week.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/everything--had-sexual-connotations-being-young-female-and-a-reporter-in-the-1960s/2016/09/30/0f35799a-7905-11e6-bd86-b7bbd53d2b5d_story.html

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2016 (edited October 13, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

lbotta wrote:

I can't find a link to the article.  Would you please have it?  I'd love to read it.  By the way, we may have our first snow in New England this coming week....

Lou, PM me your email address and I'll send you another article about Connie that JimK sent me from the HuffPost.  MorganB

aka The Colonel

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Amazing article about an amazing person.  Keep fighting Connie.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Connie continues to write as she can.  Here's a list of her articles in the Huffington Post.  Quite a lady!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/connie-lawn

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2016
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Connie, thanks for all the fine journalism and your passionate advocacy for vets and adaptive skiing. The sport is better for it.

eggraid
October 17, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Connie, we never met, but I've always enjoyed your articles here on DCSki, thanks very much for your contributions and your involvement with a great program.

Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
October 17, 2016
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

Thank you. I am writing through my pain and my tears.

Hope to see you on the slopes -- I will be in the sit ski. Maybe I will be reincarnated as a snowboarding possum!

Charles sends his best and hopes for a great winter. He does the typing for me now as well as the photos and the driving.

Love, Connie Lawn

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 17, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

GO CONNIE GO!

God bless,

Jim K.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.