Safety... Safety... Safety.... Young man found dead at Cannon Mountain NH
4 posts
4 users
3k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2016 (edited March 27, 2016)
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

In another article on the same subject, it is apparent the young man died of massive head trauma.  He was not wearing a helmet.

Skiing is, and can be, a potentially deadly sport.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/03/27/mass-skier-found-dead-cannon-mountain/8xR8C7Ymu26ui64DgMmZbJ/story.html

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2016 (edited March 28, 2016)
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Recent statistics indicate that most skier deaths are the result of blunt force trauma from hitting a fixed object (i.e. a tree). This includes the recent death of a young male from VA who was wearing a helmet and tree skiing at Copper and a women expert skier at a Tahoe resort who was a frequent tree skier and also an expert skier. Tree skiing is very risky and does not allow for much of a margin of error. It only takes one mistake. I am tree skiing less due to the inherent risk. Tight trees with bad snow conditions increase the risk. So for me there has to be a reward such as some untouched powder, with well spaced trees. I guess I am no longer a risk taking youngster ....or perhaps with age comes wisdom. I like skiing too much to risk injuring myself and not being able to ski. I understand the thrill but I am leaning more toward brains than bravado at my age. 

The moral of the story is understand and asses the risks and adjust your skiing based on your conditioning and ability. And if your tree skiing, don't do it alone. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Very sad.  According to this news report, the 29yo man missed a turn and ended up in the trees.  Another report said it was the Upper Ravine Trail.

http://nhpr.org/post/skier-killed-crash-cannon-mountain

"Kneeland [officer, not a Cannon representative] said Hennessey missed a sharp turn and struck a tree.

The body was found about 40 feet off the trail.

The medical examiner determined the cause of death was massive head trauma, according to John DeVivo, the general manager at Cannon Mountain. Hennessey was not wearing a helmet."

crgildart
March 31, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I wear a helmet, but I don't expect it to save me should that helmet spack a tree at 40 mph.  It's the seemingly harmless low speed, goofing around or odd slips and slams that a helmet can help with.  A helmet would have likely saved Natasha Richardson and the NCAA hockey official that died last week.

Regardless, even it it isn't fail safe, or fall safe, having a helmet on won't cause any more harm, other than minor comfort issues on a warm day. It may or may not prevent or reduce injury and head trauma in a slam.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?