Killington 3/12-3/14
1 post
1 user
1k+ views
Reisen
March 15, 2016
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Skied Killington Saturday-Monday this past weekend.  I've skied other Vermont resorts, but this was my first visit to the Beast of the East.  A couple of notes:

- Conditions are really rough in the Northeast right now.  Less than 60 inches of snowfall this season, and they have nowhere near the snowmaking that we have in the mid-A.  I only saw a small handfull of fan guns, and everything was disconnected, even though we had freezing temperatures every night I was there.

- As a result of the horrible season, shops are having firesales on everything.  If I needed any softgoods, now would be the time to buy.  50% off most everything.

- That said, we had more beautiful, sunny weather.  You really can't beat skiing in the 40's in bright sun.  Lots of people skiing in shorts.

- The resort is huge; easily way bigger than anything I've skied on the east coast (feels much larger than Stowe or Stratton).  The terrain looked excellent, but, of course, I could only ski on the trails.

- I saw many excellent skiers, more than I'm used to seeing at any resort, including out west.  On Sunday, I skied with some friends of my sister who were the best skiers I've ever skied with.  They were throwing backflips in the park, but could also zipper down the moguls on bear mountain.  Fun experience.

- When I left mid-day yesterday, the mountain was getting heavy snow (of course they were), which had accumulated to about an inch.  Unless they get a whole lot more, it won't change much.  However, with how large the mountain looked, if they get better snow next year, I'm going to plan another trip back.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?