3 users
5k+ views
skiracerx
February 1, 2016
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Firsthand Report ”“ Roundtop Mountain Resort

1/30/2016 Ed Fowler Guest Author

Blue sky, no wind and abundant sunshine sure brings out the skiers and boarders. No exception for Roundtop Mountain Resort on Saturday, January 30. Using unscientific analysis of lift wait time and parking lot fullness to gauge attendance, both seemed to hit the peak use around 1 pm.  Lift times at peak were under seven minutes and by three pm things returned to under a minute. It has been a good week since schools have been closed.  Roundtop is accessible via I-15 or I-83 located between York and Harrisburg, PA.

Roundtop NASTAR “ICEMAN” on course Photo Ed  Fowler

NASTAR Racing was available from Noon to 3 pm on Exhibition. About 180 runs through the course.  NASTAR Racing is available Friday night 6:30 pm, Saturday, Sunday, and holidays Noon until 3 pm. If you can ski or board a blue run in control you can run NASTAR. Saturday was a new race recruits’ first day in a course. No falls, shaved 3 seconds off over 4 runs.

If you would rather play in the resort’s parks, they had 30 features available in 3 parks for your enjoyment. RMR Parks has a site focused on the parks and events at Roundtop mountain resort.

Roundtop  Cam view of easy and bigger park to the right

Roundtop Mountain Resort has continuously upgraded the resort. The Tubing Center has a lodge, The Fireside Pub has a liquor License, The snowmaking is always being upgraded along with the grooming machines. Food is available in multiple locations and Wi-Fi is provided. A bit farther north and facing north helps to keep snow on the hill longer. Roundtop Mountain Resort tends to be a bit less busy on peak days offering more runs per hour.

Roundtop ”“ Upper Ramrod, Steeps and Bumps photo Ed Fowler

For those who like to sled try snow tubing. The tubing center has a separate Lodge called The Mountain View. Beautiful views, food and drinks available while you enjoy tubing. Kiddy tubing is available, as always check the conditions before heading out.

Roundtop View from Tubing Lodge  Roundtop Cam

If you like warm weather activities check out the Zip lines, Canopy tours, and OGO balls and Paintball in the summer.  

More information:

www.skidoundtop.com

www.skiroundtop.com/racing for NASTAR

rmrparks.com Parks

www.skiroundtop.com/snow-tubing

www.skiroundtop.com/mt-adventures Summer Activities

www.skidome.org

Ed has been skiing locally for 20 years. Writes a blog and runs Skidome nightclub card group. Races and Coaches ZARDOZ Renegades.

Antoine
February 2, 2016
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

I was there for anyone who cares wearing a red hockey jersey.

kickerfrank
February 2, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

That's my home mountain. It will always have a place in my heart.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.