Sunday / Monday How will the roads be to Snowshoe / Timberline / Wisp?
6 posts
3 users
3k+ views
ParkCrewDrew
January 21, 2016
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

I am coming from the pittsburgh area and we arn't supposed to get too much snow from the stom.   do you think the roads to snowshoe will be fine?  So I am planning on a trip to somewhere south for Sunday / Monday.  I am a little concerned about the stretch from Elkins, WV to Snowshoe.  

Wisp would be my backup plan.  

Just wondering if anybody has any imput. 

Bonzski
January 21, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

ParkCrewDrew wrote:

I am coming from the pittsburgh area and we arn't supposed to get too much snow from the stom.   do you think the roads to snowshoe will be fine?  So I am planning on a trip to somewhere south for Sunday / Monday.  I am a little concerned about the stretch from Elkins, WV to Snowshoe.  

Wisp would be my backup plan.  

Just wondering if anybody has any imput. 

What day are you thinking of driving?  Best is to check the WV DOH website for realtime conditions before you make a final decision.

I find the section between Buckhannon and Elkins on 33 to be the worst because of the hill climbs and wind exposure.  The road between Elkins and SS follows stream/valley most of the way so it has pretty much no elevation changes except the last 7 miles where you cross 2 small ridges, still not bad though.

ParkCrewDrew
January 21, 2016
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

I am planning on leaving Sunday morning and going back Monday evening.  My thinking is that gives some time for the roads to be cleared.

Wisp seems like it would be easy to get to even with 20".   Get on 68 and then get on 219.  

Well I will see how things play out on Saturday.

Bonzski
January 21, 2016
652 posts

Yeah with that short a window I'd lean to Wisp to max ski time vs driving.  Still tho, I68 from Cheat Lake to MD/WV line is subject to being closed under heavy weather.  Hopefully by Sunday it will be clear.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

ParkCrewDrew wrote:

I am planning on leaving Sunday morning and going back Monday evening.  My thinking is that gives some time for the roads to be cleared.

Wisp seems like it would be easy to get to even with 20".   Get on 68 and then get on 219.  

Well I will see how things play out on Saturday.

I'm driving back from SS to Pittsburgh some time on Sunday with the "assumption" roads will be cleared by then.

Bonzski
January 21, 2016
652 posts

ParkCrewDrew wrote:

Btw, to get to Wisp traveling East on I68 you get off Exit#4 (RT 42) at Friendsville, MD.  Stay right off exit (RT42 South or East?) and follow to 219South.  That will save you a good 30-45 min vs going further east on 68.  Good luck!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?