1/15/16 Report: Bryce Nice @ Good Price
4 posts
4 users
4k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2016 (edited January 19, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Bryce Nice @ Good Price

by Jim Kenney

I skied 26 runs today at Bryce Resort in Virginia on a four hour weekday seniors ticket for $25 from approximately 9:30AM to 1:30PM.  All eight slopes were open at Bryce Resort with a good corduroy surface over a firm base at the start with temps right around freezing.  It warmed up to about 40 while I was there and the snow softened nicely under a weak January sun with partial clouds.  The clouds got thicker by the time I left for home at 1:30PM.  

I got free rock star parking about 50 feet from the beginner area and I was easily able to go back and forth from my car to switch and test three different pairs of skis from my garage "quiver". My normal skis ('12-'13 Nordica Burners) got a blown out edge last March in Colorado that I repaired not-so-well with gorilla glue in the offseason.  I think I found that my son's old Stockli skis ('06-'07 Stormrider AT) are going to work as back up in case the edge fails on the Nordicas.

Bryce is great.  This is one nimble and efficient ski operation.  They can go from nothing to "all slopes open" lightening quick. Don't let a little non-frozen precip scare you away this MLK Weekend.  As soon as things dry out I suggest you take advantage of Bryce's low rates and low crowds and get thee to the slopes!  You might be able to buy tickets in advance on Liftopia.com for even less than the normal low prices at the Bryce ticket window.

All photos by Jim Kenney

The base area was really quiet at 9:30 in the morning.  In fact, I took 26 chairlift rides today and never once with another person!!!  And I used deoderant this morning???

My really old 3rd string skis and Revenuer's Run in foreground, Locher Bowl in center background.  Good manmade snow on looker's left side of Locher Bowl!

Patrolers kept me company.  The trail to right, Hangover, has the steepest pitch of any at Bryce.

I guess about four years ago Bryce replaced an old double chair with a fixed grip quad with conveyor loading.  This is the primary of two chairs at Bryce and it's a solid lift. It takes about nine minutes to do a lap, eight on the lift and one on the slopes;-)

Bryce's tubing hill is up and running.  Just needs some more riders:-)

There are a lot of interesting mountain bike features in the woods adjacent to the ski slopes. Looks like a fun summer thing.

Bryce really shines as a training hill.  This is the smaller of two beginner areas.  This one is for never-evers.  My car is in the background just steps from the snow.

Bryce Resort website:  http://www.bryceresort.com/Winter.aspx

Bryce Resort 50th Anniversary History E-Booklet:  http://www.bryceresort.com/Resort/News/Bryce-History-Booklet.aspx

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks Jim! I skied Bryce last winter and thoroughly enjoyed myself!  It may be small, but it is mighty in conditions and friendliness!

The Colonel

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Great read and photos, JimK!  

An advantage of smallish ski areas like Bryce (and, I'd add, Liberty) is that if they have the firepower and willpower they can go from grass to 100% open fairly quickly, temp and humidity permitting.  I opened and closed my 2014-2015 season at Bryce because they got it together quickly and hung onto winter tenaciously.

Woody

HardcoreLooper
January 16, 2016
Member since 11/27/2013 🔗
24 posts

I'm big on Bryce when you can get it at a good price (keep an eye on Liftopia).  We skiied there on New Year's Day two years ago and had a wonderful time.  Great kinderschool; my ankle-biter begged to be put into the afternoon program after doing the morning.  My high-schooler took a very good private lesson and made some nice progress.  I even got my wife out on skis.  I love a place where you can throw your bag o' gear under a table and not need to worry about it.  

The rockstar parking is nice, but a very nice gentleman met us at our car in a golf cart and shuttled our gear to the base lodge.  We yo-yoed up and down the hill all day until we were too tired to ski anymore, then we rode the carpet and skied the bunnny slope with my little one.

If only it were just a little bit closer to RVA, it would be perfect for me.  If I lived in NoVA, I'd be there all the time.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.