Questions on Timberline/Canaan
15 posts
12 users
3k+ views
DrSandy420
November 30, 2015
Member since 11/13/2015 🔗
22 posts

Thinking of trying out the Davis, WV ski areas for the first time this winter with a small group, probably centered at Timberline. Some questions for those familiar:

1) If we're there for a weekend or long weekend, is it best to stick with Timerbline or worth the effort to try out Canaan Valley for a day, too?

2) More general: How would these ski areas compare to Snowshoe? (Been there a couple times and if everyone told me Snowshoe was better I'd be inclined to stick with that.)

3) Any tips on lodging in this area? We're looking for a house or condo for a weekend that would be relatively affordable and relatively close to the slopes. A little turned off by the Timerbline Resort requirement to stay three nights, so looking at airbnb, etc. If anyone has good resources lemme know.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 30, 2015 (edited November 30, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

DrSandy420 wrote:

Thinking of trying out the Davis, WV ski areas for the first time this winter with a small group, probably centered at Timberline. Some questions for those familiar:

1) If we're there for a weekend or long weekend, is it best to stick with Timerbline or worth the effort to try out Canaan Valley for a day, too?

If only two days, might make sense to stick to T-Line.  If three days, then recommend one at CV.  It can be much less crowded, so might be a good one for a Saturday.

2) More general: How would these ski areas compare to Snowshoe? (Been there a couple times and if everyone told me Snowshoe was better I'd be inclined to stick with that.)

Very different from Snowshoe and you should be ready to embrace or else stay away.  No big village, no high speed lifts.  Base lodge is very utilitarian, but can offer fun times.  There are as many or more advanced runs at T-line as Snowshoe, maybe not as many low intermediate runs.  Although T-line has a nice, long green circle run.  Golden Anchor restaurant is good at southern end of valley.  Sirianni's Pizza, Hellbenders for Burritos, and Purple Fiddle sandwiches and live music in Davis north of the valley are all good.

3) Any tips on lodging in this area? We're looking for a house or condo for a weekend that would be relatively affordable and relatively close to the slopes. A little turned off by the Timerbline Resort requirement to stay three nights, so looking at airbnb, etc. If anyone has good resources lemme know.

Maybe try Mountaintop Realty, they handle a lot of nice properties.  Generally, renting a single family home or condo at T-line can be relatively cheap compared to many places including Snowshoe.   I have no experience with airbnb.  The CV Lodge has been updated and is quite nice and fairly affordable, but is two or three miles from both ski areas.

David
November 30, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I'm thinking that the Golden Anchor closed. 

Also, Canaan Realty rents for 2 nights. 

JohnL
November 30, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I haven't updated the following in the past year:

http://www.epicski.com/products/timberline-four-seasons-resort

http://www.epicski.com/products/canaan-valley-resort

(And never added text to the CVR Unofficial Guide.)

DrSandy420
November 30, 2015
22 posts

Thanks for the tips.

Wondering if for solidly intermediate skiiers (i.e. mostly sticks to blues, with the occasional easy black), Timberline wouldn't have enough trail options. It looks like a really small resort. Is Canaan Valley better for that type of thing?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Timberline has better blue terrain.  Problem with both resorts is inefficient snow making causing a lengthy process to get additional trails open quickly, unless considerable natural snow.

The Colonel

yellowsnow
December 1, 2015
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Golden Anchor is closed.

Unless you stay at the lodge at either of the state parks, most privately owned properties are 3 night minimums.

But try VRBO, Homeaway, etc.and ask the owner if he'll accept 2 nights.

Kris
December 1, 2015 (edited December 1, 2015)
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts

I find Timberline and Canaan Valley to be more fun for me than Snowshoe.

If you get there early and stay late, Timberline will give you all the skiing you could ask for.  With basically no lift lines early and late.The blue runs are very nice and if you want to relax a bit, Salamander is one of the best green runs around.  It does get kinda flat near the bottom, but its a nice run to relax on and take in the scenery.  To me, Timberline has more blue trails that are more geared for my type of skiing. If you have any beginners in your group Cannan just put in a new carpet lift a year or so ago and made a decent little area for beginners to learn to make turns.  Plus it keeps you from walking up that horrible hill to get from the lodge to the main lift....lol If I had my choice between the 3 resorts.  I'd pick Tline first every time.  But i'm biased....I love the Valley.  Basically learned to ski there and teaching my kids to ski there this season.

There used to be a "Ski the Valley Pass" a few years ago.  Lets you ski both resorts.  Dont know if thats still around or not.

I'm the same as you....Intermediate.  If its your first time here, i'd definatley check out both resorts.  Its one of those things where we might like Tline better, but you find Canaan to be more to your liking.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Here....Quick youtube search found this.  Prob one of my fav runs at Tline.  Dew Drop.  This is not me, just some random guy on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1sW8aMt6w

DrSandy420
December 1, 2015
22 posts

Thanks again for the tips.

Took someone's advice to check out Mountaintop Realty. They definitely have a lot of options. But can anyone tell me, of the multiple neighborhoods they list here, which areas are closest to the slopes? (i.e. Old Timberline, Northplace, Aspen Village...)

wvrocks
December 1, 2015
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2015
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

stay three nights and rent a house at timberline.  I find that to be an extremely pleasant way to spend a weekend.  i like mountaintop rentals.  never had a problem in the morning parking close to the tline lodge or in the main lot at canaan.  

yellowsnow
December 2, 2015
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

You'll get better pricing at VRBO.

jimmy
December 2, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

I think you can rent for two nights in Deerfield. Five minute rive to the slopes though.................

kwillg6
December 2, 2015
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

If you are interested in a great rental in very close proximity to the hill at t-line, I happen to be very close to the owner of a house in Yoakum III which is either a 1/4 mile walk to the hill or a very short drive.  Check out VRBO in Canaan Valley and the Luv Shack.  It has a new hottub too.  Lots of weekends available in February or March yet.  Message the owners (my wife and I) if you are interested. We have been known to take a rental shorter than the three night minimum. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

DrSandy420 wrote:

I took a friend to WV in early Jan last season.  It was her first time skiing outside VA.  She is a cautious intermediate who learned as an adult in recent years.  While she could ski the black trails at Snowshoe, she was much happier at Silver Creek where there weren't so many people.  The next day, we caught a snowstorm at Timberline with 4-6 inches of fresh.  Even though visibility was low, she had a very good time lapping the long green and blue that was open.  First time she skied in "powder" that was ungroomed since it snowed most of the day.  She went back later in the season with her teen daughter.  They enjoyed CV that weekend.

I think a weekend in the Canaan Valley would be much more relaxed for a group interested in skiing and hanging around a house than driving farther to join the crowds in Snowshoe.  Be a good time for those interested to consider taking a lesson.

We stayed at the Canaan Valley Lodge.  Found it quite comfortable.  Food in the restaurant was pretty good.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.