Elevations for ski lifts in the Mid-Atlantic and the world
15 posts
9 users
2k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Ever wondered who the elevation change is for a ski lift at your favorite Mid-Atlantic ski area?  What about individual trails?  There is a relatively new website and app that has data for not only Mid-A ski areas, and almost 600 ski areas in the North America as well as many elsewhere in the world.  Jollyturns collected data themselves in the last few years, so not based on numbers from ski area websites.

https://jollyturns.com/resort/united-states-of-america/whitetail-ski-resort/detail - Whitetail lifts

https://jollyturns.com/resort/united-states-of-america/timberline-four-seasons-resort/detail - Timberline lifts

https://jollyturns.com/resort/united-states-of-america/snowshoe-mountain/skiruns-black - Snowshoe trails

rbrtlav
October 25, 2015 (edited October 25, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Pretty neat site.

I will say it makes Whitetail look quite impressive for a mid-atlantic resort ~1 hour from the capital beltway, and actually does show that a high speed quad on the expert terrain isn't completely unwarranted (soley based on distance) as that lift is longer than some of the other mid atlantic HSQs. Based on the numbers it really seems like the trail map scale doesn't give the expert quad the credit it deserves as far as vertical. 

On the other hand some of the runs at 7 springs (wagner, tyrol, etc; runs I already knew were short) are even shorter than I had thought.

crgildart
October 25, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Beech and Sugar dwarf everything except Tuckermans, and you have to hike that one.  Too bad they don't have a slightly cooler climate or they'd be too sweet to share with Georgia and SC hahahaha..

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

crgildart wrote:

Beech and Sugar dwarf everything except Tuckermans, and you have to hike that one.  Too bad they don't have a slightly cooler climate or they'd be too sweet to share with Georgia and SC hahahaha..

Interesting comparison that i wouldn't have thought of.

Tuck's is only about 800' vertical.  Hillman's highway, technically not in the ravine, is 1500.  Mt. Washington summit to the lodge at Pinkham notch is 4300, but is rarely skiable except in winter when avalanche danger on the upper mountain is extreme.  

I have skied Tuck's and Beech.  I wonder if anyone on the forum has skied all 3.

crgildart
October 25, 2015
767 posts

Denis wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Interesting comparison that i wouldn't have thought of.

Tuck's is only about 800' vertical.  Hillman's highway, technically not in the ravine, is 1500.  Mt. Washington summit to the lodge at Pinkham notch is 4300, but is rarely skiable except in winter when avalanche danger on the upper mountain is extreme.  

I have skied Tuck's and Beech.  I wonder if anyone on the forum has skied all 3.

The Summit at Mt Washington is 6,289'.  That's roughly 900 feet higher than Beech. But Beech and Sugar have about that much over anything else lift served east of New Mexico and Colorado.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Another database that is being built is for lifts.  Replacing an old website slowly but surely.  Probably be a long time before the Mid-Atlantic data gets added.

http://liftblog.com/united-states/

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2015
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I like the Jollyturns site a lot, i went down the rabbit hole and it confirmed a lot I knew and surprised me some on the lift data, (Sugar is pretty major, much longer than Beech, now with a high speed this season? jeez)

And  I'll try to keep it quiet , shhh, but as I have long suspected Canaan has considerably more Vert than the whole front side of Snowshoe.

Ballhooter is  679 vertical feet, Canaan main lift is 720

Good link MarzNC, thanks

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

kemperski wrote:

Good link MarzNC, thanks

+1  

MarzNC, you have given me another excuse to putz around on the web and not get my work done.  Bravo!

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

But at Canaan for most of the trails you lose considerable vertical just getting to the trail, Caanan Curve eats a lot of vertical.

RLE
October 26, 2015
Member since 12/17/2009 🔗
17 posts

I'll hold my arm up on that one.  Grew up around North Conway and flung myself down Tucks many of times.  Mom and Dad retried outside of  Boone,  skied Beech and Sugar many of times.  Never liked Sugar, Beech was Ok, best Mtn in area was a placed called Hawks Nest.....small but fun.  Don't think it's open anymore

crgildart
October 26, 2015 (edited October 26, 2015)
767 posts

RLE wrote:

I'll hold my arm up on that one.  Grew up around North Conway and flung myself down Tucks many of times.  Mom and Dad retried outside of  Boone,  skied Beech and Sugar many of times.  Never liked Sugar, Beech was Ok, best Mtn in area was a placed called Hawks Nest.....small but fun.  Don't think it's open anymore

I loved Hawksnest too but only got to ski it a couple times before the bullwheels stopped.  Resort owners got in a spat with the town board (Town of 7 Devils or something like that) over some expansion plans that the golf course didn't like.  So, when the expansion plans were shot down by city politics the resort closed to skiing and just hffers tubing now :-(

mook21
October 26, 2015
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

Loads of big verticals down in NC... As a native, we had to memorize Mount Mitchell's elevation in school: 6,684 feet. You aren't doing it, so not poking at you, but people in New England always love to say, "Mount Washington is the tallest mountain in the East." It does not even make the top 10 tallest in the east. Lots of potential for lond runs in NC, just wish it were a little bit father north!

RLE
October 26, 2015
Member since 12/17/2009 🔗
17 posts

Roger that.  Always told my wife and Dad, if NC was 500 miles north we would buy a place outside of Blowing Rock.  Still the best mtn was Hawks Nest, not BM, SM or even Appalachian .  Cant recall name, but run under lift was crazy and fun even at night. Closed the bar  with team Burton back in the late 80s or so when they came to that part of town.  Did they ride at BM or SM.......no, vert and alt. is'nt all you look for...........just ride or what ever

mook21
October 28, 2015
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

That run at Hawksnest was Sock 'Em Dog! Great run, steep with some texture to the terrain. Loved that place as well.

crgildart
October 28, 2015 (edited October 28, 2015)
767 posts

mook21 wrote:

That run at Hawksnest was Sock 'Em Dog! Great run, steep with some texture to the terrain. Loved that place as well.

Yep, a lot like tom terrific and boulder dash at Sugar but TWICE as long!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.