Mt. Porte Crayon Question
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
jkaplenk
October 4, 2015
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

I've seen various discussions about Mt. Porte Crayon and some of the issues with developing a ski resort there. I see on the topo map that it is possible to get a 2470 feet drop by doing northwest to the Appalachian highway. There is a route that doesn't appear to have any development on it, just maybe a back road.  It also appears from the satellite photos that this might have had some strip mining along some of the route due to the gray color. Is this stretch fully skiable in the winter and not have a problem with private property? What issues are there?

David
October 4, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

A large statue up there creates a bad omen and people are afraid to go near it.

jkaplenk
October 4, 2015
45 posts

So I've heard. I'm new here, so I don't know the full story. Ignoring the bad juju,  is it theoretically possible to ski all the way down in that direction?

Antoine
October 4, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

jkaplenk wrote:

So I've heard. I'm new here, so I don't know the full story. Ignoring the bad juju,  is it theoretically possible to ski all the way down in that direction?

Anything is theoretically possible. It's just this being one if the tallest mnts in the state it likes to get wind. So that makes there be a lot of blowdowns. Another thing to consider is you will be skiing through dense red spruce. I know there is a video of some guy skiing all of the vert on youtube tho so you could look for it. But I would probably just ski near the hiking trails.

JohnL
October 4, 2015 (edited October 4, 2015)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

David wrote:

A large statue up there creates a bad omen and people are afraid to go near it.

Not just up yonder.

Omen and bad juju extends also to Timbers, I've heard.

I carry this around:

JohnL
October 4, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

To OP, Chaga will eventually weigh in on your Q.

fishnski
October 4, 2015
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Ha Ha funny Davey Boy...u need to cross some skis and run a fishing rod up the back.... Hey Jplenk...yeh..we have hashed n mashed this subject to death but ill just say that the wind problem Antoine mentioned is really not as bad as hyped...there is high mountain and that whole ridge that block alot of the west and SW west winds we get there...thick spruce and woods take care of some but what large mountain anywhere is there not a wind problem?...usually only on the top 3rd of mountian.... Ck out the North Bowl side of MPC Jplenk....thats the ticket...I always see snow there ...even late into the season...
jkaplenk
October 4, 2015
45 posts

Thanks. I know the best skiing there has been discussed a lot. I did look at a lot of postings and didn't see anything talking about this particular direction and the vertical that way. So sorry I wasn't more specific. I was focusing on that particular segment because of the vertical drop and whether someone can ski that side all the way down without issues such as terrain, property issues and so forth. The other directions don't seem to be as big a vertical drop.

That run would meet the minumum FIS requirements for a World Class downhill using the listed exception in the rules which is 2460 feet and that run is 2470 feet. I've been looking at a number of mountains and this looks like the best run with a realistic length and consistent drop. So far the best realistic drop is 2000 feet or so without going many miles in the run. Of course any transport up the hill would have to be by snowcat due to environmental concerns. I also know there might need to be some clearing of the Red Spruce, which is considered endangered.

Has anyone skied that direction all the way down? What was it like? That's basically WNW from the top.

jkaplenk
October 4, 2015
45 posts

This would also be an occasional event, not a new ski resort.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?