Lost ski area submissions?
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Sincraft
August 26, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

I couldnt find where you would contribute to the lost ski areas so Im posting here which I assume is one big general board now.

I need help identifying this place  though.

The area was located in Elizabeth PA.  I grew up there as a kid and would walk through this bowl shape field to go to the arcade 2 miles away.  It was right off of Rt 48, across from a housing plan.  The housing plan road was Grouse Drive.   I noticed poles with steel wheels on them as if for a toe rope. I also notice what could probably be a system to have a T bar or Poma, possibly it was another rope tow.   

Toward the bottom, there was a stone chimney and the footprint of a small lodge.  Next to that was a partially filled in swimming pool. If I were to guess, I would say that place was abandoned in the 60's.  

It couldnt have held any snow.  When I was a kid, it did snow ALOT more than it does today.  And snow was on the ground many days throughout the winter.  Maybe that was just as I remember it.  Possibly it was feasible to have a mini ski hill there, but I cant imagine they would have more than 20 or 30 days of skiing here as it wasnt in the mountains what so ever.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Contact Scott via the last paragraph of this page.

http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/

msprings
August 27, 2015
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

I'm having trouble posting as well. I can post the writing I want fine, the issue is that I can't post the pictures. I did hiking on the Laurel Highlands Trail recently and stumbled upon Plateau de Mount. 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Sincraft wrote:

I couldnt find where you would contribute to the lost ski areas so Im posting here which I assume is one big general board now.

I need help identifying this place  though.

The area was located in Elizabeth PA.  I grew up there as a kid and would walk through this bowl shape field to go to the arcade 2 miles away.  It was right off of Rt 48, across from a housing plan.  The housing plan road was Grouse Drive.   I noticed poles with steel wheels on them as if for a toe rope. I also notice what could probably be a system to have a T bar or Poma, possibly it was another rope tow.   

Toward the bottom, there was a stone chimney and the footprint of a small lodge.  Next to that was a partially filled in swimming pool. If I were to guess, I would say that place was abandoned in the 60's.  

It couldnt have held any snow.  When I was a kid, it did snow ALOT more than it does today.  And snow was on the ground many days throughout the winter.  Maybe that was just as I remember it.  Possibly it was feasible to have a mini ski hill there, but I cant imagine they would have more than 20 or 30 days of skiing here as it wasnt in the mountains what so ever.

Could this be the lost area you're talking about? http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=89

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?