Ryan Locher of Bryce, VA receives ski industry award
4 posts
4 users
5k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 31, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

This is kind of old news because it was announced in April 2015, but Ryan Locher, mtn manager of nearby Bryce Resort, was selected as a 2015 SAMMY Leadership Award winner.  He was one of only three individuals out of numerous candidates and thousands of votes nationwide to receive this award by Ski Area Management Magazine.  Here is a link to the story:  http://www.saminfo.com/news/howard-locher-and-towle-earn-sammy-leadership-awards  

Trivia:  the photo of Ryan in the above article was taken by me a few years ago at Bryce during a snow squall and just after he woke from a mid-day nap after overseeing Bryce's terrific snowmaking operation the previous night.

pboulay
June 2, 2015
Member since 11/21/2013 🔗
16 posts

Thanks JimK for posting.  It's a well-deserved honor.  Bryce is small, but very well-run, as evidenced by the great ski season they had this year.  We skied there before Thanksgiving and through the end of March!  Congrats to Ryan and Bryce.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 3, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I like Bryce.  It is good to see them get this recognition.  Bryce has done a lot with what nature gave them.  They have excellent kids programs and a nice skiers vibe.  In my retirement years in VA, i often went there midweek for 3-4 hours of skiing, folllowed by a late lunch in their very nice pub and grill.  The drive from Fairfax is easy and pleasant, no bridge problems or construction delays in those years and i could avoid rush hours. My lift ticket was free at age 70+.  

Antoine
June 5, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

I agree with you Denis bryce is a a really nice small hill but with fun trails. I am always impressed by there snow making tho.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.