Vermont, easier then it seems?
14 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Antoine
March 11, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

So we have a trip to Burlington all planned out. Fly into hurtling ton drive to Waterbury (30mins) ski mgr and sugarbush mostly. Bolton maybe a couple times for night skiing. But the large question is stowe... Are the crowds/$ worth it? Preferably I would do smuggs but route 108 is closed in the winter so its a long detour. Its worth stating that we are going for Easter so I'm not sure abut the snow conditions. If anyone can give me some must do trails that would be greatly appreciated .

wojo
March 11, 2015
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

At Sugarbush I really enjoyed Murphy's glade when it was snowing.  Not hard but fun.

Antoine
March 11, 2015
275 posts

wojo wrote:

At Sugarbush I really enjoyed Murphy's glade when it was snowing.  Not hard but fun.

If I'm correct the bush' normally has better conditions?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2015 (edited March 11, 2015)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I was at Sugarbush and MRG for the first time last week.  Had a very good time since there was plenty of soft snow from a couple of little snowstorms the week before I got there.  Definitely should check out the Mt. Ellen side of Sugarbush.  For morning parking, can be a shorter walk from the parking lot.  Have heard one way to avoid crowds is to ski Mt. Ellen first thing, then head to the Lincoln side as the folks who stayed in the Sugarbush lodging are heading to Mt. Ellen mid-morning.  If conditions are good, I wouldn't bother driving up to Stowe or Smuggs.

The Castlerock lift has the harder terrain.  Coverage this year is pretty good, so don't have to look out that much for exposed rocks.

I skied at Pico before heading to the Mad River Valley.  Only about an hour away.  Pretty easy drive on RT100.  That's a fun little mountain.  Found lots of untracked powder in the trees.  Not open on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  Best to check their late season hours.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 11, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

April in VT is very iffy.  You are smart to go as north as possible.  Sugarbush is a leading bet for good late season snow, same for Stowe.  MRG very iffy because they don't have the benefit of a glacial manmade trail base, but very cool if you catch good conditions there.  Bolton and Smuggs not as well known for late spring skiing, but not sure.  I'd say factor in one day at Stowe.  It's a very impressive mtn, perhaps the burliest in the East.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Ah,  stowe.  Its a mountain that hides its secrets very very well.  You could not find them all in a lifetime.  I am a Mad River shareholder and I think MRG has the best on the map terrain in the east.  But, for off piste, Stowe and Smuggs, the two resorts that frame the real Smugglers Notch, blow everyone else away. 

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 12, 2015 (edited March 12, 2015)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

I haven't been to Stowe since the Spruce Peak upgrades were completed but must say that terrain-wise, its my favorite in New England. It has huge vertical (highest mountain in VT), excellent lifts, and ample terrain for advanced skiers and experts. Not one to miss in my opinion. Its Northerly location also makes for better late season conditions. 

NB Other areas skied in NE: Killington, Mt Snow, Waterville Valley, Gunstock, Sunapee, Sunday River plus a variety of smaller places and nordic spots.

Antoine
March 12, 2015
275 posts

Looking at youtube videos it seems that a lot of the steeper terrain is hard to find (especially at smuggs?) is this true. It seems to be a struggle to find some of the runs for some ppl at mrg/ smuggs.

JohnL
March 12, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Antoine wrote:

Looking at youtube videos it seems that a lot of the steeper terrain is hard to find (especially at smuggs?) is this true. It seems to be a struggle to find some of the runs for some ppl at mrg/ smuggs.

Most people can't handle the toughest terrain at Smuggs, Mad River Glen and Stowe. So finding it is not really an issue.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 12, 2015
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

With Stowe: Start with the "Front 4" and if you need more challenge, engage people on on the lifts or hire an instructor. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Antoine wrote:

Doc Dempsey's and/or Black Hole are on the Smuggs trail map.  They are steep tight trees near each other on the main mountain (madonna).  Paradise is marked on the MRG map and pretty easy to find skier's left off single chair.  Locals ski everywhere in that section of the mtn when snow is good and it's all very challenging.  The woods to the skier's left of Goat are easy to find at Stowe and very challenging.

Crush
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

JohnL wrote:

Antoine wrote:

Most people can't handle the toughest terrain at Smuggs, Mad River Glen and Stowe. So finding it is not really an issue.

~nod~ agreed - except for the ice .. then it is eeesh.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I run into people here in CA all the time who will say that eastern skiing is all ice all the time.  Same in CO, UT, etc.  then I ask them if they have ever skied there.  99% of the time the answer is no.  I tell them, well you shouldnt go there.  (You all can thank me later.)   More of them have heard of Killington than anywhere else, most have heard of Stowe, very few have heard of Mad River.  

Antoine
April 5, 2015
275 posts

Landed in Burlington with amazing view at the completely frozen lake Champlain and the beautiful snow coverd mnt Mansfield. I'm heading to mad River today after church and around a 8 inches of fresh from the last two days.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.