How to be a cooler skier, according to the washington post
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
yellowsnow
January 14, 2015
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Interesting that their map shows Blackwater Falls State Park to be somewhere in PA.

More interesting that the article is White Grass centric, but it's not even on their map!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

chaga wrote:

A quote from scott too in this article.

Nice writeup.  I need to try XC someday.  These are pretty good reasons to give it a try.

It’s less expensive, it’s less crowded, it’s less pressure, it’s less dangerous. It’s safer, it’s easier, it’s simpler, it’s cheaper.”

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Article is good but the included map is a fail.  Massanutten and Wintergreen are included but even with a big snowstorm, those are not reasonable places for Nordic skiing.  Unless you want to hit up the golf courses.  Those can be great for sledding with enough natural snow.

crgildart
January 14, 2015 (edited January 14, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

If I ever came across a full set of XC gear with boots in my size at a thrift store it would be hard to walk away without dropping ten bucks to take it home and stash it somewhere for that occasional real snow event down here.  I currently go rock snow blades around the neighborhood while the kids play with their plastic sleds.  But, using a pair of XC skis to trot a couple blocks up the road to the grocery store would also be fun and practical. 

I agree, the map should have only shown Whitegrass just been left off the article.

eggraid
January 14, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

crgildart wrote:

If I ever came across a full set of XC gear with boots in my size at a thrift store it would be hard to walk away without dropping ten bucks to take it home and stash it somewhere for that occasional real snow event down here.  I currently go rock snow blades around the neighborhood while the kids play with their plastic sleds.  But, using a pair of XC skis to trot a couple blocks up the road to the grocery store would also be fun and practical. 

I agree, the map should have only shown Whitegrass just been left off the article.

Keep your eyes out on Craigslist, I picked up a pair of nice Fishers with Salomon boots my size for cheap a few years ago in Reston. I use them on the local golf course when it snows enough, but haven't taken them out to Whitegrass or Slatyfork yet.

chaga
January 14, 2015
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Funny I didn't even look at the maps...that's a terrible job though. They is also national forest trails to ski on too. I can tell you there is nothing more awesome than being able to keep a pair of skis outside the door and being able to step into em and just go....especially when you have a high energy dog that needs to get out a lot. Hiking in snow sucks!

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.