31 posts
18 users
5k+ views
wojo
January 11, 2015
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27821704/boy-falls-off-ski-lift

FAIRFIELD, Pa. -A 9-year-old boy fell from a ski lift at a Pennsylvania ski resort on Saturday afternoon, and his fall was caught on video. 

The dramatic video shared with FOX 5 of the accident was shot at Liberty Mountain Resort around 3:15 p.m. It shows the boy dangling from a chair lift as rescuers tried to help him, and then eventually falling to the snow below. Saturday. The boy apparently suffered a leg injury, but will be okay. 

Antoine
January 11, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

No big news liberty has a terible track record when it comes to this happens atl easdt once a season. I was stuck on the lift when it happend last season. I kid you not I was on the lift for 45 MINUTES !  i finnaly gave up and jummped out and skied of of that. I honestly dont know whats up with liberty. I was in france during christms and they have special plastic inserts on the chair to put children in so they dont fall. But here in the us resorts are to greedy so parents are forced to put them on their lap.  I dont know maybe I am badly informed but I never hear anything like this happen at 7s saftey bar less lift. . and to be honest with the resort saftey bars are never used by the youth.

Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
January 12, 2015
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

There are risks to any sports, but I do not believe the lifts at Liberty are inherently dangerous. I do not know the details and my heart goes out to the boy. I hope he will be ok and will continue in this wonderful sport,  Was the safety bar down?  Could he have slipped under it?  At least there are modern lifts with the bars. They do not exist in all parts of our country and the world.

Be careful, obey the rules, and keep the safety bar down as long as possible!  Connie Lawn

crgildart
January 12, 2015 (edited January 12, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I rode up the lift with a tween that was being really careless/wreckless a couple weeks ago. Kid looked ten or eleven.  I had to keep telling him to turn back around and plant his butt on the seat.  The bar was down but he kept turning all the way around to look back with his butt off the seat and hip bone hanging off the front edge of the seat feet totally dangling.  Wasn't a regular park rat, kid had rental gear and regular kids outerwear instead of good ski ckothes.  Also heard about a FIVE year old falling somethere else while riding the beginner lift solo.. Who the hell lets a five year old ride the lift solo???  Parents FAIL!  Instructor FAIL!  Liftie FAIL!

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
eggraid
January 12, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I was at Liberty a few years ago when I saw the aftermath of a young teeneage (?) boy who had fallen off the lift. He was getting a lot of aid from the ski patrol, and he was concious, but pretty bloodied up. I agree, it's not the design of the lifts or the chairs that are the issue, it's just user error.

I've never heard of parents having kids on their laps on the lifts though?

crgildart
January 12, 2015
767 posts

eggraid wrote:

That isn't what I was getting at.  It was a five year old ALL ALONE on the lift by themselves..  FAIL on many levels!

Resort owner Rick Buckman told CBS Philly the boy was at the resort with “an adult relative” but was alone on the lift. He also said there were no malfunctions on the chair or machine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/5-year-old-boy-falls-23-feet-ski-lift-penn-video-article-1.2074008

Crush
January 12, 2015
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

yeah yeah yeah - look people this happens at *every* resort - like even Deer Valley over and over and over again. This is why I refuse ski instructors' request to "do you mind taking some of my kids up" crap. Kids do stupid things and adults do even more stupid things.

BTW - Antoine you seem to be some sort of non-USA foreign hate - dick that has a problem with Liberty which none of us have a problem with. Kindly take your non-informative crap somewhere else;  take your broken English back to whatever hole you came out of and stay there.

gee - Yay - crush is back!

Antoine
January 12, 2015
275 posts

The " hole" I was born in is Washington, D.C. The dagum capital of this country. Secondly  this happens at liberty more because its closer to dc (thus atracting more crowds)  so yes that brings in a higher chance of ppl falling off. But as a stated earlier  the saftey insert would be a good idea. And i think in canyons orange buble the bar comes down automatically.  So because you want me to stay in my hole crush looks like I will be with you;)

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Crush - perhaps you were the 5 year old that fell of the lift given the intelligence level of your post.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Com'on folks, cut it out!

rbrtlav
January 12, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I've seen Lift operators at whitetail on both the u-me double and the lift off quad stop lifts to lower bars when young kids were riding by themselves. 

From the images from this Liberty incident this looks like it was the eastwind quad, which has ALWAYS had very attentive and friendly operators when I have been there and both the loading and unloading areas at all the lifts at Liberty are quite large. Seems like anything happening between the two areas is beyond the operators control. Short of them stopping all the chairs and forcing people to lower bars this seems beyond the control of the lift operators.  (I hope they dont start doing that...lift rides would take forever)

Speaking of 7 springs bar-less lifts... the old Gunnar triple in the wind was not at all a comfortable ride. I know I reached up on that lift a few times to grab a bar only to be shocked that there was none. There is no reason they shouldnt have bars on all the llifts there...

I don't know where it was, (I think it was NE or out west) but there was a video last winter of 2 guys having a snowball fight between 2 chairs and one kid falling out. I

I'm convinced also convinced this happens more often than people think and fox 5 didn't have anything else to show so they took the video for the click bait.

hoyadrew
January 12, 2015
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

Crush wrote:

yeah yeah yeah - look people this happens at *every* resort - like even Deer Valley over and over and over again. This is why I refuse ski instructors' request to "do you mind taking some of my kids up" crap. Kids do stupid things and adults do even more stupid things.

BTW - Antoine you seem to be some sort of non-USA foreign hate - dick that has a problem with Liberty which none of us have a problem with. Kindly take your non-informative crap somewhere else;  take your broken English back to whatever hole you came out of and stay there.

gee - Yay - crush is back!

Is this really necessary?  It's a forum about skiing.

Antoine
January 12, 2015
275 posts

Normally it's the lift at the front of the mnt. And yes the back lift has a " veteran liftie" who worked at lib for 20 years.  Normally it's the front lift because of the beginners going up there for dipsy + them trying to go for the park.  Liberty Is pretty well prepared for this kinda stuff tho. I am surprised that 7s has no saftey bar (Imagine if this was at hidden valley)  I think its a double if its a triple then I'll be darned.

rbrtlav
January 12, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Gunnar triple was replaced with a 6 pack a few years back.I still think they have triples without bars, but I wouldn't guarantee it now that the old Gunnar triple is gone.

Antoine wrote:

I am surprised that 7s has no saftey bar (Imagine if this was at hidden valley)  I think its a double if its a triple then I'll be darned.

Antoine
January 12, 2015
275 posts

(Tyrol) 

Crush
January 13, 2015
1,271 posts

The Colonel wrote:

oh come now, Colonel - i haven't been involved in an uncalled for flame war for so many years - allow me just a little slack lol.  :-D

jimmy
January 13, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Crush wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

oh come now, Colonel - i haven't been involved in an uncalled for flame war for so many years - allow me just a little slack lol.  :-D

HaHa next thing you know someone's gonna cuse you of not wearing a helment when you ski :) .

JohnL
January 13, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

jimmy wrote:

Crush wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

HaHa next thing you know someone's gonna cuse you of not wearing a helment when you ski :) .

Even JohnL now skis wid a helmet (most dayz.)

My main beef with Captn Crush is that he is sometimes too hungover (wah, wah, wah) to ski with friends on powder days. Well, there was more Alta untracked for Spooky and me. Laps of Third's to Eddie's all filled in by the next loop.

fishnski
January 13, 2015
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Im sure Crush allready regrets his post...he is a good ole boy and has been very much appreciated over the years...think of the entertainment folks!..ole school folks........Ive never backed down from a ski but the hangovers have really cut back on the session....the older we get the harder to mix the apres with the ski so slow the frick down!.... Wait for after the last day ski to get ur drink on....lord knows I like to get my drink on and if u go back to some of my posts in the past u will be able to tell the the fired up ones!......make crush look like an Angel.....slow er down Crusher or cuss me out for sayin so......
crgildart
January 13, 2015
767 posts

Can we change the title of this thread to Crush too drunk again?

wojo
January 13, 2015
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

crgildart wrote:

I tried to change the title to "Crush to Drunk" but couldn't get it to save :-) 

eggraid
January 14, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

crgildart wrote:

eggraid wrote:

That isn't what I was getting at.  It was a five year old ALL ALONE on the lift by themselves..  FAIL on many levels!

Resort owner Rick Buckman told CBS Philly the boy was at the resort with “an adult relative” but was alone on the lift. He also said there were no malfunctions on the chair or machine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/5-year-old-boy-falls-23-feet-ski-lift-penn-video-article-1.2074008

crgildart, Antoine said something about kids riding on laps of adults in his first post, which is what I was referring to.

Crush
January 15, 2015
1,271 posts

~sigh~  you aren't going to let this go are you JohnL - well i guess i swear up and down to burn some turns with you this year - Jan 29-Apr. 7 in Park City. Raging big time,  n'es pas ? annnd - JimmyZ ?

JohnL wrote:

Even JohnL now skis wid a helmet (most dayz.)

My main beef with Captn Crush is that he is sometimes too hungover (wah, wah, wah) to ski with friends on powder days. Well, there was more Alta untracked for Spooky and me. Laps of Third's to Eddie's all filled in by the next loop.

Crush
January 15, 2015
1,271 posts

wojo wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Scott clearly black-listed me in some UTF-8 file somewhere on an unknown sector on and unknown track on a known offset at a definitly known index into a well known array in a protected memory page running under supervisor m0de and the instruction set has a memory fence to support all the code-doppelganger instances perpetually instantate that undermine me daily ?!?!?!

ooops - hangover for work tomorrow. eeesh

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 15, 2015
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Crush wrote:

wojo wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Scott clearly black-listed me in some UTF-8 file somewhere on an unknown sector on and unknown track on a known offset at a definitly known index into a well known array in a protected memory page running under supervisor m0de and the instruction set has a memory fence to support all the code-doppelganger instances perpetually instantate that undermine me daily ?!?!?!

ooops - hangover for work tomorrow. eeesh

Crush, you're on to me.  I thought you would never find out about the UTF-8 blacklist file.  Now, probably best to switch over to water or coffee.  ;)

Alpine Hokie
January 16, 2015
Member since 01/30/2009 🔗
14 posts

Antoine wrote:

No big news liberty has a terible track record when it comes to this happens atl easdt once a season. I was stuck on the lift when it happend last season. I kid you not I was on the lift for 45 MINUTES !  i finnaly gave up and jummped out and skied of of that. I honestly dont know whats up with liberty. I was in france during christms and they have special plastic inserts on the chair to put children in so they dont fall. But here in the us resorts are to greedy so parents are forced to put them on their lap.  I dont know maybe I am badly informed but I never hear anything like this happen at 7s saftey bar less lift. . and to be honest with the resort saftey bars are never used by the youth.

I haven't been to any French mountains, but I've been to a number in in Austria, Germany, and Italy and have never seen those inserts.  My general impression is, if anything, Europe is less safety conscious than the US (in terms of rules/signs/boundaries/features).

crgildart
January 16, 2015 (edited January 16, 2015)
767 posts

Alpine Hokie wrote:

I haven't been to any French mountains, but I've been to a number in in Austria, Germany, and Italy and have never seen those inserts.  My general impression is, if anything, Europe is less safety conscious than the US (in terms of rules/signs/boundaries/features).

I'd wager that this is because you have to purchase extra insurance in Europe for any kind of patrol rescue or patrol sled ride and you can't as easily sue the resort if they do or don't do something that results in your death or permanant injury.

Antoine
January 16, 2015
275 posts

Alpine Hokie wrote:

Its a litle thing thats blsck thats normally on the lest of the lift. oh and man you are so right on your second thought. I went to val disere for xmas and there is a lift that goes up and over a ridge.

skiracerx
January 24, 2015
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

New signs are up stressing lower the restraining bar . :o) 

NonstopSki
January 26, 2015
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Speaking of 7 springs bar-less lifts... the old Gunnar triple in the wind was not at all a comfortable ride. I know I reached up on that lift a few times to grab a bar only to be shocked that there was none. There is no reason they shouldnt have bars on all the llifts there...

I don't know where it was, (I think it was NE or out west) but there was a video last winter of 2 guys having a snowball fight between 2 chairs and one kid falling out. I

I'm convinced also convinced this happens more often than people think and fox 5 didn't have anything else to show so they took the video for the click bait.

that old gunnar lift was the worst. Used to do laps over there as a young one at age 10/11/12/13. Lift was moderately terrifying, slow, and cold if it was windy. 

bob
January 30, 2015 (edited January 30, 2015)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

I almost fell out of one of those old doubles over Minuteman at Roundtop a few decades ago. I hadn't lowered the bar and was bent forward doing something with a ski or boot when the lift did one of those "rapid stops" that sent the chair (and almost me)  pitching forward. It would have been a case of chair rider error. Most people that fall from a chair have done something wrong..

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.