17 posts
8 users
3k+ views
skiingchris
January 6, 2015
Member since 01/29/2014 🔗
4 posts

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Tory_Mountain-1774242/

Just noticed this..... 2000 acres. $4M+ bucks. Food for thought how much is the timber worth?

Need 500 folks willing to dish in $10,000 bucks each and we got ourselves a ski mountain. Cut 4-6 nice trails and thats it. Snowcat service to the top when the snow is in. Snowmaking would be a huge capital investment.... maybe one day. Its a southern MRG......

fishnski
January 6, 2015
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
That mountain has gone thru a few owners over the years but the hope for ski development always gets dashed......would absolutley be tickled pink if we could ever see that MTN Developed....1200 to 1500 vert on a very snowy area would cut the cake for me!.....saw an aerial shot of a 1500 foot tower the other day and was really impresed at how high off the ground it was...bring it!.......PS though.....the last owners allready cut out alot of timber........posted from my SPh...gonna dream tonite....
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2015
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

so many mountains in WV could be ski areas.  i drive through the state just imagining the lines on each peak and ridge.   that website also lists a tract on shavers mountain which is near elkins and ideally situated, but the tract might not go to the summit.  brierpatch mountain just north of Tory could have even more vertical.  but it seems not to be.   

fishnski
January 7, 2015
3,530 posts
2000'+ rise from the town of Harman up to the top of Brierpatch...a ski area would wake that town up but it will be SnuZzzzzzzzz..ing forever prob....
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
wgo
January 7, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

When I saw the original post my first thought was, "What will fish have to say about this?"

fishnski
January 7, 2015 (edited January 7, 2015)
3,530 posts

wgo wrote:

When I saw the original post my first thought was, "What will fish have to say about this?"

I Had a Dream...that one day..all DcSkiers..enviro-mentals..pitas...doom n gloomers.."we will never make it" smurfs..wellfare..we dont need the work flock...die hards...the Dreamers..... and the unsatisfied with the status quo's....the A Class folk...would join hands for the Grand cause of seeing the WV potential Ski Mountain Dream and take the lift up to the Mountain Top.. and to ski down together as one.....I took the Bait..fought the good fight..snapped the line but still ended belly up...floating now in a sea of mediocracy...
..Brrrrrrppp..just wolfed down 4 49c burgers at Mcdonalds..great special they have going on this month...life goes on!!!

crgildart
January 7, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

How reliable is the natural snow on this land?  Would it be hit and miss on any given week without snowmaking infrastructure?  I can't remember the last time I saw a ski hill east of the Mississippi and south of mid Vermont/New Hampshire that had reliable natural snowfall sufficient to ski from December through February.

JohnL
January 7, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I Had a Dream”¦that one day..all DcSkiers..enviro-mentals..pitas”¦doom n gloomers..”we will never make it” smurfs..wellfare..we dont need the work flock”¦die hards”¦the Dreamers”¦.. and the unsatisfied with the status quo’s”¦.the A Class folk”¦would join hands for the Grand cause of seeing the WV potential Ski Mountain Dream and take the lift up to the Mountain Top.. and to ski down together as one”¦..I took the Bait..fought the good fight..snapped the line but still ended belly up”¦floating now in a sea of mediocracy”¦
..Brrrrrrppp..just wolfed down 4 49c burgers at Mcdonalds..great special they have going on this month”¦life goes on!!!

Well played.

I lost it on "take the lift up to the Mountain Top.. and to ski down together as one"

Freeheelers will disagree...

49 cent cheeseburger is better than 2 dollar triple cheese special. Hmmmm.

Antoine
January 7, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Natural snow should be pretty good up there. When I go to snowshoe I always think " jeez this place olny has these guns for show and to open up trail early in the season". I would say SS only uses snowmaking for a more reliable surface. Oh And I belive Denton I Northern pa is pretty much natural sustained. Or rather I should say was...

skiingchris
January 10, 2015
Member since 01/29/2014 🔗
4 posts

Nowhere in the mid atlantic can natural snow sustain itself year in and year out, barely even does so in New England. Tory is a great location but at the end of the day the topography is not much different than CV..... but it does have Brierpatch Mountain there to block the wind where CV is a sitting duck. It would be nice if the state just moved all the lifts at CV over to Tory and let Whitegrass take over CV~

Antoine
January 11, 2015
275 posts

Blueknob has snowmaking a lot of it is older then the dinosaurs thought.  I know how ever that one of the liftlines are naturly sustained.  steambogen bowl has one gun that is pitfull but htey bring over some fan guns. should put a hkd turbo and it would get coverd so fast.

fishnski
January 11, 2015 (edited January 11, 2015)
3,530 posts

Mount Porte Crayon and the highest plateau east of the Rockies....The Roaring Plains recieve an average annual Snowfall of 200 inches.......u have to head way up to northern Vermont to beat that....unfortunately it just sits there vegging in a Tame n wonderful state...not even Wild like its claimed to be..missing the Elk..Wolf..Mountain Lion..Ect.....Lame..Its injured and limping along..but very snowy n wonderful...Wild weather wise....if u can figure out how to get there...the land is saved forever for the 50 folks hardy enough to experience it....

Antoine
January 11, 2015
275 posts

fishnski wrote:

Mount Porte Crayon and the highest plateau east of the Rockies....The Roaring Plains recieve an average annual Snowfall of 200 inches.......u have to head way up to northern Vermont to beat that....unfortunately it just sits there vegging in a Tame n wonderful state...not even Wild like its claimed to be..missing the Elk..Wolf..Mountain Lion..Ect.....Lame..Its injured and limping along..but very snowy n wonderful...Wild weather wise....if u can figure out how to get there...the land is saved forever for the 50 folks hardy enough to experience it....

From wikipedia:

Ski resort plans

Mount Porte Crayon has been involved in controversy due to plans by Bill Bright, developer of the Winterplace and Glade Springs resorts, who wants to bring a ski resort to the area.[4][5][6][7] The proposed ski area is rumored to be named "Almost Heaven Mountain Resort" and will have the largest vertical drop south of New York. Nothing more is stated. How ever there are rummors to put a resort on tuscacora mnt in pa with a vert of 1660 vert and a 3 mile trail. I dont belive in the rummor.

fishnski
January 11, 2015
3,530 posts
This is really funny...all the ole school dcskiers know the thousands of posts on this subject...it was the reason I started posting here ....well...we have come full circle now...U have the ball now Antoine...the NEW Dcski is here....im out...LOL....
crgildart
January 11, 2015
767 posts

fishnski wrote:

Mount Porte Crayon and the highest plateau east of the Rockies....

I don't really see how this is possible.  Two of the places I ski regularly on North Carolina have lift served skiing above 5,000 feet elevation.  Mont Porte Crayon tops out at 4,770 feet.  It does get more natural snow though..Twice as much!

David
January 11, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

crgildart wrote:

fishnski wrote:

I don't really see how this is possible.  Two of the places I ski regularly on North Carolina have lift served skiing above 5,000 feet elevation.  Mont Porte Crayon tops out at 4,770 feet.  It does get more natural snow though..Twice as much!

Highest plateau 

crgildart
January 11, 2015
767 posts

David wrote:

crgildart wrote:

fishnski wrote:

Highest plateau 

So the highest flat part?  OK sounds like a great place to XC ski..

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?