9 posts
5 users
3k+ views
Kris
December 29, 2014
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts

Hey gang,

Its been a LONG time since i've posted anything on here.  My son if 6 yrs old and i'm taking him Skiing for the first time at Timberline on Feb 1st.  Can someone recommend a instructor I can get for him for a few hours?  Anybody on here going to be there that day and offer some time to help?  He picks up on things very quickly and I really dont think it will take him long to get the hang of it.  I'll be there with my 6yr old son and my 46yr old brother in law that has never been skiing either.  Would it be ok for them to be in the same class?  Or should the older one be in a different class?

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!

Kris

Norsk
December 29, 2014
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Hey Kris (from another longtimer here).  Depends what you are looking for, but both my daughters learned to ski in Timberline's general youth all-day ski classes (Timber Adventure/Mountain Safari).  The instruction was first rate and they loved it (so much that they are now on the race team).  In general I think the quality of the instructors in that program is very high.  If you are looking for a private or semi-private, good names would be Andy Ballash (head of Children's programs, don't know if he still does privates) or Chris or Jesse (sorry can't remember last names).  Personally would not recommend having a 6 year old and a geezer like me in the same lesson, but a talented instructor could make it work I guess.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2014 (edited December 29, 2014)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Advice from a parent who started my daughter in ski school at age 4 (10 years ago).  Lately I've been taking friends to Massanutten who have kids ages 4-8 and the parents are beginners too.  Definitely do not try a semi-private lesson with a 6yo and a novice adult.  At Mnut, they won't even schedule something like that.  Most kids do better in group lessons.  If not, then they need a private with an instructor who is focused on their needs and interests to keep it fun.

A never-ever adult usually can get some sort of beginner package that includes a lesson.

Have either of them been ice skating?

jimmy
December 29, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Kris, Dude good to hear from you. Norsk is right on about the Timberline Children's Programs. I don't know if you can request a specific instructor but they have a pretty high standard; you will get a great instructor and you son will have fun. Kids in this program are "cool" and they know it. It is a special group. Your B-I-L should be just fine in a beginner group lesson, group size is small. How many days are you skiing?

Reisen
December 29, 2014
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

I had my daughter take two private lessons last year at 3 y & 10 mo (ie. right before her 4th birthday).  This was at Whitetail, and the instructor was named Gerhardt.  We were very happy with him, but it's not cheap.

Last week, we took a trip to Snowshoe, and I put my daugther in their 6.5 hour ski school on Sunday the 21st.  I didn't know how it would go, but she loved it so much, she asked to go again the next day (I obliged).  Again, very expensive (about $140 without rentals, $160 with rentals included), but much longer. 

I think for the first couple of times, you can't go wrong with group lessons.  The kids generally like being around other kids, it's more cost effective for the amount of time they get instruction, and they can learn from their peers.  Also, they're forced to be more independent (ie. carry their own skis, get up without assistance when they fall).

I see Whitetail has a "Whitetrailers" and "Nightrailers" program.  I would definitely be interested in something like that, except: Whietrailers is sold out, and you have to be 6 to start (my daughter is only 4).

It looks like some of the other snowtime resorts have interesting options for new skiers.  If I read the roundtop website correctly, If I purchase the Snow Ranger of Mountaineer lesson for my daughter, I can then purchase a Mountain Passport for $49, which gives her access to unlimited free class lessons for the rest of the season (I assume one per visit).  That seems like a pretty strong option.

Reisen
December 29, 2014
368 posts

Also, I'm looking at Whitetail, and it looks like they limit their Mountain Passport to ages 8 and up.  Roundtop explicitly calls out ages 4 and up for theirs.  Seems an interesting difference, and one that could direct me to Roundtop over WT.

Reisen
December 29, 2014
368 posts

Also looks like Liberty specifically exempts all Children's learning center products from the Mountain Passport, and minimum age is 8.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Reisen wrote:

Also, I'm looking at Whitetail, and it looks like they limit their Mountain Passport to ages 8 and up.  Roundtop explicitly calls out ages 4 and up for theirs.  Seems an interesting difference, and one that could direct me to Roundtop over WT.

Not sure where you are starting from, but if Massanutten is within reasonable driving distance their children's program starts at age 4.  My daughter loved every instructor she had at Mnut.  I think the full day (9:30-2:00) ski school is $110 and includes rental gear.  Once a kid is age 7, they can do the Adv. Beginner/Intermeidate 90-clinics given 3 times a day.  My daughter could ski any southeast black by age 6.  The terrain at Mnut makes progression relatively easy.  A bit better for mixed ability groups compared to Whitetail and Roundtop due to the layout.

Kris
January 3, 2015
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts

jimmy wrote:

Kris, Dude good to hear from you. Norsk is right on about the Timberline Children's Programs. I don't know if you can request a specific instructor but they have a pretty high standard; you will get a great instructor and you son will have fun. Kids in this program are "cool" and they know it. It is a special group. Your B-I-L should be just fine in a beginner group lesson, group size is small. How many days are you skiing?

Just going to be there one day as of now.  Thanks for all the comments guys.  I might check out the childrens program.  We are going with a group and I can get a lesson for $25, but it starts at age 7.  Not sure if they would take a just turned 6yr old or not. And i'm not sure its an actual childrens lesson or not.  I still have to get the details.  I would love to teach him myslef, but i'm not sure i would know where to start with a 6yr old.....And to be honest, he might do better with a stranger teaching him. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?