How often does Timberline groom their slopes?
4 posts
3 users
2k+ views
skicat
December 28, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

We skied CV during Xmas and Timberline this weekend. I have to say Timberline was a disappointment since here was 0 grooming during the two days we were there. And with the high temp and crowds, the slopes were terribly bumpy especially today, really hard to manage. I am wondering do they not used to groom nightly? CV on the other hand did a really good job grooming and made it pretty fun even with the warm ang the rain. I like the runs at TL and want to go back on a day after they groom the slopes.

TomH
December 29, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

They generally groom every night. However if it is too warm at nite they can't groom because the cats mire down in the snow. Also if lots of water in snowpack and they groom early in nite it can freeze. Both those things happened this week at TLine and can happen anywhere.  You just got unlucky and skied one if those dAys

skicat
December 29, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Oh I see. Then it is all good and I will just need to go back on a better day:) Thanks for explaining it.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 29, 2014
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

I skied Timberline from the 25th through the 27th, and was generally impressed with conditions given the rain and recent warm weather.  The 25th featured the iciest conditions but the resort did post a sign on White Lightning warning skiers that it was ungroomed that day. Sally and Dew Drop did receive a groom of sorts but were pretty hard and icy.

Everything was groomed for the 26th and 27th. I personally saw snow cats on the slopes during the early mornings on both days, which surprised me because grooming is tough above 28 degrees. The other problem with warm weather is that the groom does not hold very long. Nevertheless, I saw many happy people on the slopes on the 26th and 27th--warm weather, sun, and soft snow made for decent Spring conditions. I was also happy because I was able to ski ok despite a recent ankle injury.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?