Dec. 6th Weekend Open Resorts
14 posts
8 users
2k+ views
TomH
December 4, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

From what I can gather from webpages and facebook pages Wisp, Timberline, Canaan Valley, Whitetail and Liberty are closed this coming weekend.  According to the Snow Report message Bryce is planning on opening this weekend and Roundtop says they will open on Sunday and it looks like Snowshoe is open.  Any other Mid Atlantic resorts open that anyone knows about?

teleman
December 4, 2014
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Massanutten Reports the following:

12/3/14 at 10:00am - The Ski Slopes and Snow Tubing will be closed Monday, 12/1 - Friday, 12/5. We will re-open on Saturday, 12/6 and Sunday, 12/7 from 9am - 5pm. Night sessions will begin in mid-December.

TomH
December 4, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Teleman - never skied at Massanuten so I might give it a try.  Have you been there this year - I'm wondering if they have any trails that are top to bottom open.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 4, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I believe Hidden Valley and Seven Springs are open this weekend.  FWIW - the forecast here in W PA (if not most of the Mid Atl) is heaving rain on Fri into Sat - YUCK.

David
December 4, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

No skiing is just all the more reason to travel to the Valley for the ski party of all ski parties at Whitegrass. Lots of friends, music, fire, and plenty of 'libations'.

teleman
December 5, 2014
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Diamond Jim should be open; not sure about Showtime.

I have not skied at the Nut in a few seasons.

If the choice is Bryce vs. Massanutten.  The extra 30 minutes of travel is worth it to Massanutten (much more vertical). 

wgo
December 5, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

FWIW - the forecast here in W PA (if not most of the Mid Atl) is heaving rain on Fri into Sat - YUCK.

"Heaving" rain describes the situation pretty well....

Waiting to hear what Wintergreen is planning to do. The plan earlier this week was to be open during the day on Saturday and Sunday. I have not yet seen any updates to this, but I do wonder if they will decide to close for the weekend in order to preserve base.

wgo
December 5, 2014
1,666 posts

Wintergreen will be open this weekend:

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/Blog/

rbrtlav
December 6, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Gonna give roundtop a shot tomorrow... not very optimistic about conditions. But I got a season pass and I'm trying to learn to snowboard, so before the blacks open I don't feel bad about being stuck on the greens. Looks like there is a chance for some nighttime snowmaking this week, hoping liberty and whitetail can get some in to open back up next weekend, can't really blame them for closing this weekend. (As a passholder I'm glad to see them get 1/3 open)

wgo
December 7, 2014
1,666 posts
Got my first turns of the season at wintergreen today. Lapped eagles swoop with the family. Conditions good on the very limited terrain. The Vienna Lager at Devil's Backbone afterwards was top-notch.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2014 (edited December 8, 2014)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

TomH wrote:

Teleman - never skied at Massanuten so I might give it a try.  Have you been there this year - I'm wondering if they have any trails that are top to bottom open.

FYI, when Mnut opened for Thanksgiving weekend, Diamond Jim at the top was open, as was Upper Showtime that is the top of Lift 5.  I heard from a local that DJ was open on Dec. 6 but was relatively narrow after the warm spell.  The new snow guns added in recent years have made a big difference for early season.

David
December 8, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

wgo wrote:

Got my first turns of the season at wintergreen today. Lapped eagles swoop with the family. Conditions good on the very limited terrain. The Vienna Lager at Devil's Backbone afterwards was top-notch.

One of my favorite beers right now!! I bet it's even better straight from the tap...

wgo
December 9, 2014
1,666 posts

David wrote:

One of my favorite beers right now!! I bet it's even better straight from the tap...

Let me know if you are ever in the area and we'll go grab a pint or three.

sailandski22
December 10, 2014
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
24 posts

A gotta get away attitude made me brave the r!*n on saturday and drove out to snowshoe looking for my first turns of the season on sunday. I had low expecations after the drive up but i got rewarded sunday morning with good soft snow and a bluebird day. It was mostly green circle goodness but skipjack and grabhammer were lap-able and good fun. Small to no lines all day, called it a day around 2:30 when the early season legs had enough. Looks like most everywhere will be open this weekend.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?