Final (?) Journey to Mt. Washington
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I first hiked in the Presidential Range of NH in the mid 60s, a day hike from the town of Randolph to the summit of Mt. Adams. It was a long and committing trip. I first set skis to snow there in 1991 in Tuckerman Ravine. Since then I have skied somewhere on the Presidentials almost every year, adding Hillman's Highway, Gulf of Slides, Great Gulf, Summit Snowfields, Monroe Brook, Ammonusuc Ravine, and Burt Ravine. Once I did a solo January ascent up the Sherburn trail to Hermit Lake on a -15 degree day and watched a stiff wind loading the headwall with snow. It was magnificent and intimidating. Before that, but especially after, I had developed a taste for the wild side of mountains. Like becoming a wine connoisseur, once started down that road there is no turning back. What was to have been a farewell trip this May didn't happen. The selling of our virginia house and the move to california took place much faster than planned. 

I was in Boston a week ago for a 55th HS reunion. So I built in an extra 2 days for a final (?) trip to the Rockpile. We are old friends. I needed to reflect and give thanks for the joy I have known there and for the sparing of my life on a couple of occasions when it could have gone either way, that January day, and the sudden lightning storm that caught me near the top of the Gulf of Slides. It had to be on the heights, high above tree line, and my flight back to SFO was in the early evening, no time for a hike from the bottom. I headed up the auto road early on August 18. It had rained hard in the night. A "northwest clear off" was in its early stages and clouds were entered at the 5000' level. I almost missed the summit parking lot in the fog. 38 degrees, wind steady at 30, gusting to 60. The wild side, perfect. A short stay on the summit, then a short hike down the Huntington Ravine Trail near Ball Crag. There is a favorite spot there, just a bit below the crossing of the Nelson Crag trail, where the pitch steepens. It was a perfect spot for solitary meditation as the line of cairns appeared and disappeared like ghosts in the fog. After a suitable paying of respect, I hiked back up the trail and drove down the auto road, satisfied. Perhaps it was my last trip to the mountain. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Only if you make it so!  You have lots of time for more adventures, both east and west!  You have long been a stalwart on DCSK, and  it is a treat to read of your adventures.

The Colonel

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2014 (edited August 27, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Thanks Colonel.

Maybe there was too much an air of finality in that story.  Although 3000 miles away, there are many mountains to choose from here.  I'll miss mt. Washington, but perhaps Shasta will be a worthy replacement.

bob
August 27, 2014
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Yes, there are lots of other places out west. Shasta, and a bit further north the Three Sisters and Bachelor. But, there is the alure of a very good old friend that you hope to see many more times, but you fear you may not. Hopefully you will.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 27, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

75th HS Reunion.  And get them to schedule it in April :-)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.