Blue Knob - Now I understand ...
37 posts
16 users
6k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I took the advice of JohnL and made a day trip to BK.  As a first timer I was not sure what to expect but I've read posts about a "skier's mountain" and maybe some slow lifts.

Well, I'm sold on BK and like Arnold said in the Terminator, "I'll be back".  Hell - maybe Sunday.

I got there about a half hour before opening and was the 5th car in the parking lot. I poked around to figure out where to change and and get my ticket which took all of 5 minutes.  Being a Snowshoe guy, I'm used to all the jazz, hype, etc .....  but I truly loved the old school feel up there.  Old building, no frills, get your ticket, change your clothes and get your butt out there. 

The place was empty.  I never waited in line more than one person ahead of me. They only ran lift #1 from 10 - noon.  Then they opened lift 4 around noon.  There was a nice layer of groomed snow on all the trails and it snowed the entire time I was there.  They were blowing some snow at the top and all day on what I believe is Lower High Hopes.  With all the cold temps, I'm not sure why they were not making snow on Extrovert but it looks like a hellava run.  It would appear to me that that would be their signature trail.  I skied every open trail and loved everyone of them.

I had to return home to B Day party so I packed it in around 2:15.  That may have been a good thing because as I was changing, three (yes 3) school bus loads of grade school kids arrived and filled the locker room and lobby areas.  They all seemed to have eaten 5 candy bars and were bursting with noise and energy.  

Here's a few pics I took with my phone.  Nothing great but I did catch a dude fall at the top of the bowl and slide down.  He was laughing during his slide.

Arrival:

No Lift Line

All the natural snow occurred on Friday

Bowl Tumbler

Top of Extrovert - No snowmaking there.

I loved the houses along Lift 1

My Day

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Glad you got to experience it.  Best terrain in the mid Atlantic.  But, you must go back when Extrovert is open.  It is indeed the signature run, not just of BK, but of the entire region.  It's best in mid to late spring on a day when the DC temp is about 55.  It faces north and is the last thing on the mountain to soften up.  If you think the day will be too warm, it will probably be just right.  When I was much younger I once did 28 telemark runs on extrovert in one day.  A friend called me an extropervert. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Staying in the house slopeside at Blue Knob for the last Mid-A Gathering was one of the most fun ski weekends I've ever had.  No lines, great terrain, pure enjoyment.  Being able to go out and get in a few more runs on an empty hill under the lights was great.  I definitely want to go back.  Certainly worth any extra driving.

camp
January 20, 2014
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Denis wrote:

... It's best in mid to late spring on a day when the DC temp is about 55.  It faces north and is the last thing on the mountain to soften up.  If you think the day will be too warm, it will probably be just right.  ... 

Agreed.  Denis know's the what's up as always.  The other main thing I look for on their weak snow report is if Ditch Glades is listed as open.  That means the other easier tree runs are open, and this often occurs on the last few weekends of the season on the warm days w/ softer snow.  Always tough choices for me at the end of March with the Luau in Tline, last chances at White Grass, and friends calling mtn bike rides.  But, Blue Knob can beat all of them on those days.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Droogie
January 21, 2014 (edited January 21, 2014)
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

Glad to see another person was also impressed with BK! 

It looked like the natural snow cover on the lower mountain was nearly non-existent as of last Friday. Since then it looks like it has snowed about 13+ inches with more coming and below freezing temps. How close are the natural snow trails to being skiable? How are the upper mountain glades skiing? Also, are they going to start working on getting all of Extrovert open? 

BTW: BKs snow report is ummmm lacking. It isn't 1998 anymore. I think an investment of just a few minutes a few times a day would do wonders.   

Droogie
January 22, 2014
76 posts

Droogie wrote:

How close are the natural snow trails to being skiable? How are the upper mountain glades skiing? Also, are they going to start working on getting all of Extrovert open? 

Their website says 8.5 inches. Has anybody been there and have any insight on Conditions? The needle is moving in the right direction for a day-trip from Columbus, but I'd like some beta. 

camp
January 22, 2014 (edited January 22, 2014)
660 posts

Droogie wrote:  any insight on Conditions? The needle is moving in the right direction for a day-trip from Columbus, but I'd like some beta. 

Here's a cam from Laurel Ridge, to the west and lower elevation than Blue Knob.   http://www.paccsa.org/lrwebcam

Droogie
January 23, 2014
76 posts

Oh yeah, those webcams are helpful. Forgot about those. Someone on on the On The Snow Ski Report App said Extrovert is open from top to bottom. I might just have to bit the bullet and do a trip over there on Saturday. 

January 23, 2014 (edited January 23, 2014)
1,580 posts

Droogie wrote:

Oh yeah, those webcams are helpful. Forgot about those. Someone on on the On The Snow Ski Report App said Extrovert is open from top to bottom. I might just have to bit the bullet and do a trip over there on Saturday. 

From the BK trail report this AM  

Conditions are excellent. Extrovert is now open.  

Link to it here

snowglobe
January 23, 2014
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts

I have been wanting to visit BK for a long time and have been waiting for the right condition.  Seem like there aren't that many lodging for big groups (except those linked from BK's website?).  How is the drive up there comparing to Snowshoe or Canaan Valley?  (We drive in our FWD to Snowshoe / Canaan all the time in all kind of conditions)

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 23, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

snowglobe wrote:

I have been wanting to visit BK for a long time and have been waiting for the right condition.  Seem like there aren't that many lodging for big groups (except those linked from BK's website?).  How is the drive up there comparing to Snowshoe or Canaan Valley?  (We drive in our FWD to Snowshoe / Canaan all the time in all kind of conditions)

Given your Snowshoe experience you will probably be fine if it hasn't snowed in a couple days and they've had a chance to treat the roads.  The last five miles of the Blue Knob access road are mostly uphill and can be somewhat challenging in fresh snow/dicey conditions.  I used to go to BK every weekend back in the '70s and '80s with a FWD and there were a few times when FWD did NOT get it done.  Had to park it by the road and look to catch a ride with a passing 4WD.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 23, 2014
2,963 posts

Correction:  I used to go to BK every weekend back in the ’70s and ’80s with a 2WD and there were a few times when 2WD did NOT get it done :-)

imp - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2014
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

the laurel ridge camera is way south and west of Blue Knob, is close to ohiopyle. south of Hidden Valley and ss

Laurel Mt camera is closer and more like the Blue Knob weather but still a long ways off.

a bad day at the blue is better than a good day at the springs.

imp

Sincraft
January 26, 2014
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

Does anyone have a run down of typical BK conditions no adays?  Long ago, they were known to be the the most icey slopes in the east.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Sincraft wrote:

Does anyone have a run down of typical BK conditions no adays?  Long ago, they were known to be the the most icey slopes in the east.

Hence the term "Blue Knob Powder...the consistency of ice cubes"!!

The Colonel

camp
January 27, 2014
660 posts

Sincraft wrote:

I was there yesterday and it was pretty good. Not a "10", but well worth it.  I can tell from my house 70 miles away when it's icy there and I stay away then.  To avoid that, I have to hit BK when I know there is fresh.  I look at their report every day and can't trust it.  The Blue glades that have been listed as Open for a week were all closed yesterday, and a trail that has been listed as Closed all season (Edgeset) was Open yesterday.  If it snows there today, it will be really good.

Tucker
January 27, 2014
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts

...scorpion...

DCski11
January 27, 2014
Member since 01/28/2013 🔗
19 posts

I was there yesterday and it was a solid day.  I agree through its pretty frustrating seeing all the blue glades being open on the ski report, and then all Closed when you get there.  Same thing happened to me at Blue Knob and Timberline last year too.   That being said I drove 2.5 hours based on that ski report so I skied them and they all skied pretty well, espeically Laurel Run Glades being my favorite.  

camp
January 27, 2014
660 posts

DCski11 wrote:

.. its pretty frustrating ...

As has been said, Blue Knob out Timberlines Timberline when it comes to management.

Droogie
January 27, 2014
76 posts

DCski11 wrote:

I agree through its pretty frustrating seeing all the blue glades being open on the ski report, and then all Closed when you get there.  Same thing happened to me at Blue Knob and Timberline last year too.   That being said I drove 2.5 hours based on that ski report so I skied them and they all skied pretty well, espeically Laurel Run Glades being my favorite.  

It must have snowed quite a bit more between 4:00 Saturday and when you arrived. I poached Triple Glades x 2, Laurel Run Glades, Edgeset (just before opening), Lower Shortway-Short cut. All of these adventures except my first Triple Glades poach and Edgeset were  pretty ill-advised and I'm glad I didn't wind up with compound fractures of my tibia and fibia. I didn't actually fall on them, but my bases paid the price. At least as of Saturday there was no consolidated base underneath and you could ski right to the ground if you turned hard I would say they need another foot for things to be officially a go otherwise bring rock skis and a strong sense of personal responsibility and look both ways for patrol before dropping in. 

I also look at the BK snow report daily and still can't figure it out. For like 2 weeks now they have been saying that patrol was looking at the glades and would make a decision on opening them to me that suggests they are going to open, but not take weeks longer Also, they seem to grossly over-report how much has fallen. 

Regardless BK with the midload to me has the best terrain within 10 hours of Columbus and I can't wait to get back! 

camp
January 27, 2014
660 posts

Droogie wrote:..., but my bases paid the price...

Just checked mine, and the noises I heard on Edgeset left their mark

DCski11
January 27, 2014
19 posts

They got about 4 inches between 11-2 so I saved the poaching until after that but definitely scraping the bottom if you turned too hard.  Hence, I just got back from dropping my skis at the shop, but that was mostly my fault.  If your on rock skis, you will have a good time.  Hopefully the snow in the woods stays around and forms some sort of base.  

David
January 27, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Droogie wrote:

All of these adventures except my first Triple Glades poach and Edgeset were  pretty ill-advised and I'm glad I didn't wind up with compound fractures of my tibia and fibia. I didn't actually fall on them, but my bases paid the price. 

I've got a blown edge and core shot on an old pair of skis leftover from following JohnL down Edgeset, while it was closed (for good reason)... 

Droogie
January 27, 2014
76 posts

TR: Blue Knob PA 1.25.14 http://www.skinorthcarolina.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=16356

Here is my trip report.

ParkCrewDrew
February 11, 2014
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

Well I was able to get tomorrow off so I am doing a spur of the moment trip to Blue Knob!   There should be enough snow to ride through the trees (fingers crossed)!  Really looking forward to it!    Expect some photos and a small report tomorrow night

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2014
2,963 posts

Droogie wrote:

TR: Blue Knob PA 1.25.14 http://www.skinorthcarolina.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=16356

Here is my trip report.

Just got around to reading this.  That was a hardcore day-trip!!

ParkCrewDrew
February 13, 2014
125 posts

Oh so a trip report 2/12/14...

Well the weather was pretty fantastic.   Around zero when I arrived and about 20 for the high.  Pretty sunny too!  I was dissapointed to see only 1 lift running! Blah only the 2-man with the mid-station.  Also I was dissapointed to see the glades and upper extrovert closed.  They had ~12" of natural snow on the ground and I thought stuff should be open (but I assume it was closed because of ice).  Anyways I ended up riding edgeset / east wall glades (which were closed) and ski partol saw me!!! Ugh well I was kicked out. Slightly bummed because of how early it was. 

Ended up renting cross country skis.  I have been wanting to try that out.  I wasn't so graceful on the xc skis but it was pretty cool.  

After that I hiked up Schaefer Head (a 2,950' hill near blue knob).  Snowboarded down and made a few powder turns.  It actually turned out to be a fun day despite getting kicked out. Photos will be in the next post.

ParkCrewDrew
February 13, 2014
125 posts

You can see Blue Knob in the background on this one. 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 13, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Back when I used to go to BK for Extrovert on every warm weekend, it would often have a rope across the top which I presume was meant to be there all day.  By 2:30 or so, when everything else had softened I would duck the rope.  The patrol would see and then drop the rope.  I think I was being used as a test dummy.  And who cares if you get your ticket pulled then.  They had a great bar. :)

February 16, 2014
1,580 posts

Beautiful conditions at BK today.  I took my 3 nephews there for their first ever ski trip.  Not the best place for beginners but they live 30 minutes away from BK.  I set them up with a 1 hour group lesson while my son and I did some runs in the AM.  I can't remember the gals name but she took great care of the boys for about 1.5 hours this morning.  

I'm happy to report that I have increased the skier population by 3.  They loved it and want to go back tomorrow.

Is Extrovert the most challenging trail in the mid atlantic?  That dog gone thing is a beast.  Huge bumps and steep as s#!t.  Way out of my league.  Kudos to you guys that can do that.

scootertig
February 16, 2014
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts

I skied BK today, too. I kept finding myself saying to Mrs. Scootertig that "you know, the best 3 days I've had skiing within 3 hours of home have all been at Blue Knob", and I think today added to that list. Great conditions overall, but icy in spots. The trees were a blast. We mostly stayed up top, but found plenty to keep us occupied. The snow all day added a nice touch.

Also discovered Marzoni's brewpub. We got mixed up on the directions and went to the Altoona location, but will go to the Duncanville location on the next trip. A little out of the way, but the beer and food were good!

DCski11
February 27, 2014
19 posts

Has anybody skied Blue Knob recently? (in the last week or so)  Heading up Satruday and want to know what im in for...

Droogie
February 27, 2014
76 posts

^^^^Great question. I am considering heading over this Saturday. The on the snow app is claiming 8 inches of snow since the 24th. How "closed" is uper Extrovert? 

camp
February 27, 2014
660 posts

DCski11 wrote:

Has anybody skied Blue Knob recently? (in the last week or so)  Heading up Satruday and want to know what im in for...

I was there on Sunday.  They didn't update their web report from Saturday until Tuesday.  I assumed it would be 100% open as it had been Saturday and for a while before then.  It wasn't 100% Sunday, most glades were closed, though some weren't (see my pics in the Winter Pics thread).  Extrovert was all open then and was good. Edgeset was open and probably shouldn't have been.  I believe they got the 3-4" Tuesday, but I don't believe they got the 2-4" they expected yesterday.  Haven't seen anything for today from them, but there was some blue radar there a few hours ago.

It was maybe a 6-7 out of 10 on Sunday.  Still really fun, soft, and 0 crowds.  However, I heard that Saturday was record crowd and they ran out of rental poles.

DCski11
February 27, 2014
19 posts

Thanks for the insight

Jacob
February 28, 2014
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
20 posts

Any thoughts on Blue Knob for Monday or Tuesday?  NWS is calling for 8-12 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday.  Think it will be possible to get up the mountain Monday morning with 4WD, or would the Blue Knob condos be the only reasonable choice, and trying to get in early on Sunday?  

Droogie
February 28, 2014 (edited February 28, 2014)
76 posts

^^^I was wondering the same thing. I may get sick on Monday. Would anybody be interested in splitting a cheap room Sunday night? 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.